WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Idea of sleeping by myself on the trail freaks me out

I've done some section hiking on the AT with a friend and shared tent and huts. I've also hiked alone, but made sure that the itinerary included overnights in hostels.

I want to venture further, but I no longer have a hiking partner and the hostel thing is severely limiting my options, but the idea of spending the night alone in the woods freaks me out [I'm a grown man so I know there is no rational basis for this].

I'll be hiking in sw-va. well after the thru hiker bubble has passed. My experience is that the AT is pretty lonely in July in that part of the world.

Does anyone have any tactics, mind-tricks, hints or tips about how to open my mind to sleeping alone in the woods. I'm not normally a nervous person, but I think I will void everything if I am alone in a tent and I hear a rustle or crack nearby while I am trying to sleep. BTW its not bears I am afraid of...

How did you guys get over you first night alone????

just spend more time on the trial, in the woods. it'll go away with time

Images

Watched The ceiling of my tent until dawn. A couple of nights and you'll be fine. Not to mention exhausted

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I've done some section hiking on the AT with a friend and shared tent and huts. I've also hiked alone, but made sure that the itinerary included overnights in hostels.

I want to venture further, but I no longer have a hiking partner and the hostel thing is severely limiting my options, but the idea of spending the night alone in the woods freaks me out [I'm a grown man so I know there is no rational basis for this].

I'll be hiking in sw-va. well after the thru hiker bubble has passed. My experience is that the AT is pretty lonely in July in that part of the world.

Does anyone have any tactics, mind-tricks, hints or tips about how to open my mind to sleeping alone in the woods. I'm not normally a nervous person, but I think I will void everything if I am alone in a tent and I hear a rustle or crack nearby while I am trying to sleep. BTW its not bears I am afraid of...

How did you guys get over your first night alone????
    First off, It was so long ago, I can't recall it, and now I prefer it. Secondly, nature is safe....humanity is dangerous. Thirdly, I snore so loud that it scares everything away!

One thought is, that you will be so tried from hiking that you'll just be out before you know it.

Or.

You'll be lying wanting to go to sleep so bad that you just won't care want is out there any more.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Watched The ceiling of my tent until dawn. A couple of nights and you'll be fine. Not to mention exhausted

Yes exhaustion.......that would be ....fourthly!

a pistol and whiskey helps me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    any particular order?

likker first then just at the sounds

You could practice stealth camping when you realize that you are going to be alone for the night. If you are camped in less than obvious spots, you may be able to convince yourself that depraved, murderous lunatics simply won't happen upon you when stalking through the forest in the dead of night. Liquor works, too.

Fear can be a debilitating thing.

Start by sleeping in the backyard at home. Take a night light, dog, and a teddy bear or in your case hire a bodyguard leprechuan. Have a small libation before laying down for the night. I feel like I'm putting one of my 7 yr old nieces to bed... except for the alcohol.

Last time I saw LW he was complaining he was all out of ammunition and his tent was leaking from all the 50 ct size holes in it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    This. I wasn't comfortable sleeping alone in the woods at first, but I was sick and tired of putting off hikes just because I couldn't find a hiking partner. It only took a night or two before I got used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Agreed, a squirt gun full of whiskey can really help to pass the time when hiking alone.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

LW never runs out of ammo.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Actually I'm more nervous when I'm sleeping on the trail with someone I don't know in the vicinity. But I get over it mostly by visiting with them and being friendly with them. I carry a night time sleep aid if sounds are bothering me. Tylenol pm or something else similar will usually get me to ignore bumps in the night.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I watched too many Christmas specials on TV as a child. All I can think of is a water pistol that shots jelly on the Island of Misfit Toys. To this day one of my favorite birds to watch is the Water Ouzel or American Dipper. It walks on the bottom of streams and swims underwater searching for food. One popped up from under the surface right where I was sitting on a boulder next to a large stream. I was so amused at this little wren like bird. I guess the Ouzel escaped from the Island of Misfit Toys or Santa let them lose in N. Amer.?

Oh, here's a simple solution. EARPLUGS. You'll want a set of them anyway if you stay at AT shelters. They help while at a hostel or traveling too. And, of course they work wonders when you've got kids.

I'm in the same boat. Tired of waiting on others to go backpacking. I have a trip planned for this fall which is gonna be my first solo. Tried to go this spring but my wife broke her ankle so I've been tied up. Anyway, I aint getting any younder so I'm going. I plan to pray a lot - before, during, and after - just a normal day in that respect!

I sleep with earplugs, just so I don't hear all the little noises at night, only the big noises.

Images

Benedryl. You'll sleep like a baby. And I have to say nothing in the woods has ever tried to hurt me, but I can't say the same for "civilization." I hope you don't have any screech owls nearby at night because once they let loose with their "call" you WILL be freaked out!
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++