WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

^ that explains it!!

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Some people need people more than they want them. Some people hate the fact that they need people.

If you don't have to push through "stuff" to be able to feel comfortable out in the woods, that's awesome! My daughter just loved being out there, from the beginning... no fear. Her only and biggest fear were spiders... that's it. :>)

I had a lot of fears on the trail. First time out, I did 112 miles. I remember sleeping at Elmers, in Hot Springs, for the first time since we started out at Davenport Gap... OMGosh.. I was sooo happy to be "inside". I didn't have to hang my food, worry about noises etc...

People that were hiking with us were amazed and highly entertained...jus sayin. Thank goodness they thought it was humorous. Luckily for me we were hiking "off season". Down South in late August/early Sept.

By the time we ended our section hike at Beauty Spot.. I was feeling a lot more comfortable. I'll never forget waking up in the morning, on top a beautiful mountain, wishing I could do that every morning, for the rest of my life... It grew on me, for sure.

And now, when I think about getting back out there, I'm excited to see how far I've come since I first started hiking... I've come along way, baby. I'm still such a newbie but I love it!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Some people need people more than they want them. Some people hate the fact that they need people.

If you don't have to push through "stuff" to be able to feel comfortable out in the woods, that's awesome! My daughter just loved being out there, from the beginning... no fear. Her only and biggest fear were spiders... that's it. :>)

I had a lot of fears on the trail. First time out, I did 112 miles. I remember sleeping at Elmers, in Hot Springs, for the first time since we started out at Davenport Gap... OMGosh.. I was sooo happy to be "inside". I didn't have to hang my food, worry about noises etc...

People that were hiking with us were amazed and highly entertained...jus sayin. Thank goodness they thought it was humorous. Luckily for me we were hiking "off season". Down South in late August/early Sept.

By the time we ended our section hike at Beauty Spot.. I was feeling a lot more comfortable. I'll never forget waking up in the morning, on top a beautiful mountain, wishing I could do that every morning, for the rest of my life... It grew on me, for sure.

And now, when I think about getting back out there, I'm excited to see how far I've come since I first started hiking... I've come along way, baby. I'm still such a newbie but I love it!
    Dang, ya did it again. I just figured out how to spell the last name...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

You and me both sister! We've been bitten by the bug! The trail bug! Came home from my first section hike on the Benton MayKaye, washed ths stink off of my gear, clothes, shoes, body, etc. Even after four days of rain, cold and wind, a torn Achilles Heel and the other one hurting, I longed to be back on the trail! Have boots, have bag .... will travel!
    Last edited by Gonecampn; 11-22-2013 at 23:02.

Journal Entries
    Images

uhhh? ok one of the few threads I wish would die... Someone who is afraid to be alone...

Sent from my Sleepy Shelter Mouse Dinner menu using Tapatalk

There ought to be Psychiatrists who specialize in helping those new, and some not so new, to the outdoors overcome phobias.

Sign outside a doctors office in Damascus. Open for Business. Specializing in relieving hiking related fears. Dr Frasier Crane at your service. We also sell Life Is Good tee shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Loudest ****ing thing I ever saw in the woods was a 3 lb. Armadillo in dry oak leaves. I was ready to believe it was going to dine on me
    One armadillo rustling around at night makes more noise than a family of wild hog.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    There ought to be Psychiatrists who specialize in helping those new, and some not so new, to the outdoors overcome phobias.

Sign outside a doctors office in Damascus. Open for Business. Specializing in relieving hiking related fears. Dr Frasier Crane at your service. We also sell Life Is Good tee shirts.
    He he... Dogwood. Will you be the WB Physiologist? I'll be ur first patient. (pulling up a chair) It's like this.... my fear started wayyy back as long as I can remember.... I was told I was left in a car, unattended, at the age of 18 months, while my dad went into the hospital building to check out/pick up my mother & new baby brother. I was sleeping when my dad left me in the car alone. Upon their return, I was crying uncontrollably & it took a while for me to calm myself, after their return. My dad, to this day, feels bad about his decision to leave me in the car. ( He thought I would keep on sleeping & would never realized that he was gone) It was observed by my parents that the fear of being abandoned or left alone was a "thing" with me, growing up. I don't like being alone.

Now, can I please have my Life is Good tee shirt because it's really been a more than a good life for me!!

I can't wait to go hiking again with my daughter. I'm not sitting in my comfortable home. Everything that the outdoors has to offer me is something I can't refuse. I love taking off with everything I need to survive for a few days, on my back, just so I can enjoy being outside enjoying nature. I love the all sounds, smells and views.

Now, who's next?? Sorry I can't pay you for your services, Dogwood. I've already paid for therapy that will last me a lifetime. It was good, I highly recommend it. It's not for the faint of heart but it works.

Sorry about the switch bfayer... :>)

I'm not sure a physiologist could help with that, they're quite different from psychiatrists and psychologists.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I'll never forget waking up in the morning, on top a beautiful mountain, wishing I could do that every morning, for the rest of my life... It grew on me, for sure.
    ....And that my cyber friend really sums it up.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Journal Entries

Ironic.
    People are irrationally scared of being alone, so they want to sleep with total strangers.

If they are to be harmed, it would likely be by a stranger.

You asked for it HikerMom!

I've had a vivid imagination and I've been afraid of the dark my entire life. As I young child I would try to sneak in my parents room at night because I was so scared, only to get in trouble and forced back to my bed.
    In elementary school, I convinced myself the devil lived under my bed and I would lie in bed all night having to pee but too afraid to get up. Those fears continued into high school and I would jump from my bed as far out as I could because I imagined hands grabbing my ankles. I became afraid of the woods at night after watching The Evil Dead. In college, I would sleep at night with a gun on my nightstand and a chair under my bedroom door.

I don't let my fear rule me anymore. It's hard to ride my bike to work (now that it's dark in the am) because I have to ride under an overpass and that freaks me out, but otherwise I've learned to redirect my thoughts. When I became a parent I vowed to always let my kids in at night if they were afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post
    You asked for it HikerMom!

I've had a vivid imagination and I've been afraid of the dark my entire life. As I young child I would try to sneak in my parents room at night because I was so scared, only to get in trouble and forced back to my bed.
    In elementary school, I convinced myself the devil lived under my bed and I would lie in bed all night having to pee but too afraid to get up. Those fears continued into high school and I would jump from my bed as far out as I could because I imagined hands grabbing my ankles. I became afraid of the woods at night after watching The Evil Dead. In college, I would sleep at night with a gun on my nightstand and a chair under my bedroom door.

I don't let my fear rule me anymore. It's hard to ride my bike to work (now that it's dark in the am) because I have to ride under an overpass and that freaks me out, but otherwise I've learned to redirect my thoughts. When I became a parent I vowed to always let my kids in at night if they were afraid.
    Good for you Itri! Thanks for sharing.

What I have learned is this..you can't control your feelings/fears. You can control what you do with them. You can't always trust your feelings either, they come & go. Feelings are neither right or wrong. You can't control how certain fears/feelings came to be.. it happens. So there's that...

When fear stops anyone (you and I),in this case, from doing or enjoying something that we really want to do/enjoy, it becomes a problem.

A big motivation for change is when we realize it's a problem.

You said you don't let your fear rule you anymore. That's great! You go, girl!

It's a process... baby steps. Sometimes you can seek outside help in dealing with it. I'm a fan of that!

I don't feel weak or ashamed of anything I fear. I get help with it & that's one of the hardest things a person will ever do, sometimes.

Admitting to yourself that you can't handle something, all on your own, is a hard pill to swallow. Gulp.. Sometimes you can't just suck it up!

I wrote this in a hurry... hope this helps ya Itri.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 11-23-2013 at 19:59. Reason: typo's & such....

after 4 nights alone, they will be rough but after that its no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I have found that humans rarely if ever come out at night into the woods and into your campsite, especially if you're camping off the trail, although the AT is an exception to this since it's so open and cleared and good for night hiking. But even on the AT if you're camped off the trail and not at a shelter you should be undisturbed. Hopefully you're not camping right on a road by a trailhead---often guys will drive by and park and possibly howl like spider monkeys in an alcohol fit. I always expect such behavior if I'm dumb enough to camp next to a road.
    I agree especially about the camping off the trail part. Anyone, even one with bad intentions, would be hiking ON the trail at night, expecting only to see people at established campsites. You would normally be completely concealed by simply moving off the trail fifty yards. Note: take your bearings so you don't get lost in the AM. (it can happen...trust me) Initially this may actually seem more scary but looked at logically, it makes sense. I also agree that it usually only takes a few nights out and the fear goes away. I rarely slept at shelters during my AT hike. Usually I was right on the trail. Cat in the Hat

Unhappy

[QUOTE=HikerMom58;1819967]Good for you Itri! Thanks for sharing.

What I have learned is this..you can't control your feelings/fears. You can control what you do with them. You can't always trust your feelings either, they come & go. Feelings are neither right or wrong. You can't control how certain fears/feelings came to be.. it happens. So there's that...

When fear stops anyone (you and I),in this case, from doing or enjoying something that we really want to do/enjoy, it becomes a problem.

A big motivation for change is when we realize it's a problem.

You said you don't let your fear rule you anymore. That's great! You go, girl!

It's a process... baby steps. Sometimes you can seek outside help in dealing with it. I'm a fan of that!

I don't feel weak or ashamed of anything I fear. I get help with it & that's one of the hardest things a person will ever do, sometimes.

Admitting to yourself that you can't handle something, all on your own, is a hard pill to swallow. Gulp.. Sometimes you can't just suck it up!

I wrote this in a hurry... hope this helps ya Itri.[/QUOTE

The mind is a powerful thing. I clearly remember the day I said my fears were ridiculous and I had to change and indeed I did. I was 20 and had lain awake all night (with my door locked, chair under the knob, gun beside the bed) listening and jumping at every small noise. The next day I decided I wouldn't live that way and I don't. I still avoid scary movies and dark alleys though!

Summer 2012, I decided I'd confront my fear of being alone in the woods at night and headed to Spence Field shelter. OMG, there were so many people there. Why I thought that was a good idea I'll never know.

Now it's other peoples fears for me that hold me back. My sister died recently and
    I know my parents worry about me and wouldn't survive losing another daughter.

BTW HikerMom, I've read some really nice comments about you and I agree 100%!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ironic.
    People are irrationally scared of being alone, so they want to sleep with total strangers.

If they are to be harmed, it would likely be by a stranger.
    i agree with this. i don't like camping near road crossings or shelters.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    uhhh? ok one of the few threads I wish would die... Someone who is afraid to be alone...

Sent from my Sleepy Shelter Mouse Dinner menu using Tapatalk
    Seriously, we hiked with one of those people for a few weeks and it sucks to be around those sorts of people. They mainly just want the attention.

Journal Entries

I'm afraid of humans east of Wyoming . in Wyoming and Montana I fear grizzlies a bit but am usually too tired to worry too much. on the pct and surrounding areas I have my eyes peeled for cougars. I have to admit my greatest scares have been the result of a squirrel. they get me everytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Nowadays, when I stealth camp I sleep like a proverbial baby. Because I'm used to it.

When I first solo camped I slept like a real baby - for an hour at a time and wake up screaming.

It is something you can get used to. Sometimes I still get a little spooked at night noises, but that's just a feeling. I don't have to do anything about it.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++