WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

wow. buncha men skeered of the dark! says a lot

OK with the dark. What scares me is sleeping with the wife when she is p---ed at me as she continues moving thru the Change!
    Now thats something to be scared of!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    OK with the dark. What scares me is sleeping with the wife when she is p---ed at me as she continues moving thru the Change!
    Now thats something to be scared of!
    yes, I was only scared of the dark when I was married.

But without the Excedrin PM, the 7:00pm nightly meeting of the Dreameisters wouldn't be deemed worthwhile.
    That could lead to all kinds of consequences, dwarfing the risks from a bear showing up.

[ I'm playing to their egos so Shania Twain shows up tonight ]

Wow. That was fantastic!

Datto

Other than snakes crawling under your tent to enjoy your body heat, what could go wrong? And anyhow, if you lay still they probably won't bite. Right? Just remember to not move when the deadfall falls on you.

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot2000 View Post
    I would say that a lot of people have your problem. Just look at the number of views on this thread.
    The number of views isn't necessarily a good measure. Some of them might be folks that are amazed to read about adults being afraid of sleeping in the woods alone.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    The number of views isn't necessarily a good measure. Some of them might be folks that are amazed to read about adults being afraid of sleeping in the woods alone.
    I would venture to guess that the vast majority of adults in this country are afraid of sleeping alone in the woods at night. It's sometimes easy to forget but we hikers are a very small minority of the population.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

LOL I have to say I'm not afraid of the woods and I hike alone. I take Benedryl sometimes because of insomnia, which I have on and off the trail. Benedryl is the same thing as Zzzquil which is much more expensive. Those of you who have never had insomnia, good on you, you're lucky.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    LOL I have to say I'm not afraid of the woods and I hike alone. I take Benedryl sometimes because of insomnia, which I have on and off the trail. Benedryl is the same thing as Zzzquil which is much more expensive. Those of you who have never had insomnia, good on you, you're lucky.
    I'm with you V...it sucks! big time!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post

I usually try to go to sleep with earphones in (i set my player to turn off after 45 minutes). I also use benadryl and melatonin. I don't think its fear, I just cant fall asleep in the woods like I do at home. I hammock, so snakes, rain and critters dont worry me. You would think getting up at 5am, walking ten damn miles would tire me out, but NOOOOO I toss and turn and can't sleep all night. I take a knife just in case someone bothers me, but I doubt I will need it. I'm usually with a group but I'm going solo very soon. I'm more worried someone will try to steal my pack or something than I am about an assault of some sort.
    The best night of sleep I ever had, it was pouring rain outside. The constant white noise made sleeping easy (but since I was damp and it was 45 degrees I was more worried I wouldn't wake up, than I was about not sleeping).
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I usually try to go to sleep with earphones in (i set my player to turn off after 45 minutes). I also use benadryl and melatonin. I don't think its fear, I just cant fall asleep in the woods like I do at home. I hammock, so snakes, rain and critters dont worry me. You would think getting up at 5am, walking ten damn miles would tire me out, but NOOOOO I toss and turn and can't sleep all night. I take a knife just in case someone bothers me, but I doubt I will need it. I'm usually with a group but I'm going solo very soon. I'm more worried someone will try to steal my pack or something than I am about an assault of some sort.
    The best night of sleep I ever had, it was pouring rain outside. The constant white noise made sleeping easy (but since I was damp and it was 45 degrees I was more worried I wouldn't wake up, than I was about not sleeping).
    And besides...killers don't come out in the rain...to wet!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    And besides...killers don't come out in the rain...to wet!
    they also dont come out in the middle of the night miles from nowhere looking for a hiker in a tent they can attack.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    they also dont come out in the middle of the night miles from nowhere looking for a hiker in a tent they can attack.
    You're right, you gotta be in the right spot at the right/wrong time to get off't...you probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery by finding the winning ticket on the side of the road, and getting struck by lightening on the way to cash it in...twice

Images

The more bag nights you get under your belt, the more adjusted you become to sleeping in the woods. Emotion driven fear is what help keeps us alive and manages to drive our sense of awareness .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

well it happened to that guy that was trying to set the unsupported record. supposedly

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    well it happened to that guy that was trying to set the unsupported record. supposedly
    could also get attacked by a bear. not very likely though.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

could also get attacked by a bear. not very likely though.
    Oh it could happen...

Even in the city that could happen...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

city bears are more aggressive

city bears are more aggressive
    City bears listen to rap.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    City bears listen to rap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jBzIMiyHNs

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++