WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Unicoi Parking

Default Unicoi Parking

Hey everyone,

My brother and I will be section hiking in September from Amicalola Falls to Unicoi Gap and we're still ironing out logistics.

Anyone know about parking at Unicoi gap? Does it have a bad history for cars left for days? Would you leave your car at Unicoi or AFSP knowing that if you leave it at the state park you'll have to shuttle back to it AFTER your hike?

We are still considering staying at Hiker Hostel, but we're a little worried about getting a late start on day one if we use their shuttle.

Any info is appreciated.

Unicoi is considered safe; I would have no worries leaving a car there. IMO AFSP is the safest trailhead in GA to leave a car.

No rule that says you have to hike N. I always try to arrange my hikes so that I am hiking to my car; much better to get the shuttle out of the way on day 1.

I wouldn't worry about a late start if you stay at HH.

Coming from Birmingham have you considered each driving to the trail and self shuttling?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No rule that says you have to hike N. I always try to arrange my hikes so that I am hiking to my car; much better to get the shuttle out of the way on day 1.
    Normally, I'd have no problem going north or south, but this is our first AT hike (of many hopefully) and we want to actually start from the start (for us anyway).

I wouldn't worry about a late start if you stay at HH.
    Honestly, I'm not terribly concerned given that sunset is right at 8:00. We could start as late as 10:30 and still get a full day of hiking in, but since I'm not hiking alone I'm inclined to entertain my brother's opinion about the late start.

Coming from Birmingham have you considered each driving to the trail and self shuttling?
    Yes, and it will be cheaper to shuttle than to fuel two vehicles for the round trip (I drive a V8 pickup that doesn't get great mileage).

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. It does give me some piece of mind to know we could leave the car at Unicoi safely.

We have left our car at Unicoi Gap twice for several days and never had a problem

Journal Entries

Old post, but I left one there as well, no issues.

++ New Posts ++