WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default White House landing?

Ok folks...Southbound, how long, if you are having an enjoyable amble, stopping to enjoy things along the way but at a fair to middling pace does it take to get to Whitehouse landing after Katahdin...and what do we look for to find the trail that leads to the horn...any and all info much appreciated!

OK, my info is dated but probably not much has changed. The logging road is 46 miles from Baxter Peak. In 2000, it was well marked and I'm sure it still is. If I remember correctly, the hike to Pemadumcook Lake is less than a mile. There is an air horn hanging on the shore. You sound it once and a boat comes for you. They have all you need to get to Monson. Great meals and Ben & Jerry's. They have a nice bunkhouse and I'm sure would allow camping.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

litefoot is right, about a mile to a mile and a half trail to the boat dock. I think that I arrived there for the one pound cheeseburger lunch on the fourth day. Bunkhouse, shower, wash your clothes in a tub by the lake. Homemade pizza and sandwiches. Pancakes, beacon and eggs for breakfast. Fresh vegies from there garden at dinner. Ample resupply and not overly expensive as some say.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

You'll be headed south, and it's a left turn on a blue-blaze to get there, it's well marked. A few tips though...the guide book said it was 0.1miles, I call BS, it's more then that! When I went there (would've been July 6th or so), the trail leading to the lake was under 2-6inches of water. I had to wade through it! I ended up doing a nero there 'cause it was so nice. You can get a 1lb burger or decent sized pizza for lunch/dinner. Breakfast is eggs, sausage, bacon, etc. You only get breakfast and shower if you stay the night. There's a reasonable amount of goods for re-supply. Also, bring cash! They have a CC machine, but they get charged ridiculous rates on using it, so you WILL pay extra if you use a card (it's a significant value too). And one more thing, don't crazy with the air-horn! Blow it once and wait...trust me, they hear it, and if not they'll see you on the dock (they have binoculars..wish I would've known that before I stripped down and quick washed my pants in the lake..hehe).

Images

they stopped stocking ben and jerrys two years ago when the price went up for them. and bunk or cabin only no tenting.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    You'll be headed south, and it's a left turn on a blue-blaze to get there, it's well marked. A few tips though...the guide book said it was 0.1miles, I call BS, it's more then that! When I went there (would've been July 6th or so), the trail leading to the lake was under 2-6inches of water. I had to wade through it! I ended up doing a nero there 'cause it was so nice. You can get a 1lb burger or decent sized pizza for lunch/dinner. Breakfast is eggs, sausage, bacon, etc. You only get breakfast and shower if you stay the night. There's a reasonable amount of goods for re-supply. Also, bring cash! They have a CC machine, but they get charged ridiculous rates on using it, so you WILL pay extra if you use a card (it's a significant value too). And one more thing, don't crazy with the air-horn! Blow it once and wait...trust me, they hear it, and if not they'll see you on the dock (they have binoculars..wish I would've known that before I stripped down and quick washed my pants in the lake..hehe).
    that blue blaze is about .75mile. i started to think i was on the wrong trail.
    yes, they can hear the horn just fine.once only.

Going Southbound: day one.. up and down Katahdin. day 2, hike from K Stream campground to abol Bridge. two more days from Abol Bridge to White House landing. If you stay there.. bring your wallet.. it's pricey.

It is a good cost/ benefit decision for me. I thought the services were not overpriced and were a fair bargain for the circumstances.

Images

yes, it's a great spot. all of the above is pretty accurate. their prices are more than fair considering they are in the middle of f'ing nowhere. (treat yourself to the burger, it's amazing)
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Oh, I didn't see the pace portion of your question. I did Kathadin day 1, and slept at the campground. Then 2-20mile days...I think it was like 4miles or so to Whitehouse at that point. Hopefully those miles add up. The 20's were like a 21 and change and a 19 and change or so...I think I then pulled a 19 and change out of Whitehouse (if I remember correctly).

++ New Posts ++