WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

I was planning on hiking from Waterton to Breckenridge starting on Monday as well. Would anyone like to share transportation costs to get to the start of section 3?

Also just out of curiosity and I hadn't really thought about it until someone mentioned it a few posts up, but what will the trail conditions be like this time of year?
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Chance,

Trail from Waterton to Breck will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    I was planning on hiking from Waterton to Breckenridge starting on Monday as well. Would anyone like to share transportation costs to get to the start of section 3?
    Hi Chance,

I also intend to start hiking on monday and would surely like to share transportation. However i arrive by plane sunday evening and would like to shop for groceries and some other items on monday morning, so i was thinking of leaving Denver in the early afternoon. Hope that's ok with you.

Regards,
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHeman View Post
    monday
    Monday july 1st, that is.

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

I'm out here this week. I'm hanging out at the airport do an hour, mailing some stuff home then heading out to go wander. Looks like my best bet is the bus from Denver to Lone Pine then hitch or hike 126 to the trail. Only downside is te next one leaves at 3:30
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    I'm out here this week. I'm hanging out at the airport do an hour, mailing some stuff home then heading out to go wander. Looks like my best bet is the bus from Denver to Lone Pine then hitch or hike 126 to the trail. Only downside is te next one leaves at 3:30
    Didn't know there was a Lone Pine, CO. I'll be at the "other" Lone Pine in 2 months, knock on wood.

The Rio Grande Forest from San Luis Pass to the New Mexico state line has been closed because of the West Fork Complex. The San Juan side is still mostly open, except in the vicinity of Wolf Creek. Since the CT wanders back and forth between these entities, Segments 21-23 are effectively closed right now. The nearest fire (Papoose) is about 6 miles from the trail and is producing a lot of smoke. The CT is unaffected in most of Segment 24 and southward to Durango. The city of Creede is on pre-evacuation status.

Waterton canyon is open

Segments 1 and 2 are open altogether. Driving restriction (residents only right now) on County Road 96/97 will probably be lifted tonight.

Segment 1 has been closed again due to a fire at the Strontia Springs Reservoir (Via CTF Facebook page).

Images

Now there is a fire at the end of seg. 4/ start of seg. 5

Images

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't change my plans and not hike the CT this year! I plan to start Aug 1, but if these fires continue like this, maybe I should start at the north end of the PCT and hike south.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

From the CT facebook page:

UPDATE ON CREED-AREA FIRES, CT SEGS 21 & 22: Fire itself has not reached the CT. However, SMOKE ON THE CT HAS BEEN REAL BAD AT TIMES, depending on wind direction. One local user said when smoky, the CT has been so thick "no one would want to hike or bike, nor would it be healthy." Further, road closures (including part of Hwy 149 plus Hwy 160 Wolf Creek Pass) are eliminating some CT exit routes. Town of Creede is under pre-evacuation. A HUGE PORTION OF THE RIO GRANDE NATIONAL FOREST IS CLOSED and the CT borders this closure in and out. These fires, the "West Fork Complex" including "Papoose Fire" are Colorado's biggest and firefighters have not begun to contain them; they might burn for weeks, maybe months longer. CT exit points include Hwy 114 at the West end of Segment 17 where there is some auto traffic. Other exit routes to the north of the CT in Segments 18 & 19 have very little traffic and may only work if users have a pre-arranged ride. Users wanting to reconnect with the CT could do so from the north (say through or near Silverton) at Segment 25 Molas Pass (passenger car) and possibly Segment 24 Stony Pass (jeep). http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3436/
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

well i am not sure what to do anymore...

I am going to be in Denver the 1st and starting soon after, it looks like I will be starting at least in segment 2 most likely 3.

Now lit looks like the entire Creede area will be a no go... pretty big bummer.

Anybody got any other ideas for things to do other than the CT in Colorado?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Start in Rawlins, WY not far from the Colorado border (reachable by Greyhound bus from Denver) and walk south down the CDT. A little less than five hundred miles is about Monarch Pass. From there, an easy hitch into the hiker friendly town of Salida, CO.

From there, you can take public transit back to Denver via RTA. From Union Station, take the RTD bus to the Airport via the AF (a 1 hr bus ride) Naturally, you can catch a bus or even a train connection in Denver, too.

The CDT in Colorado is, overall, pretty well marked.

Not what you planned, but still a wonderful journey.

You'll quickly enter the Medicine Bow NF of southern WYO and then be in the Zirkels (amazing place), have the opportunity to hike Rocky Mtn NP, go through the Indian Peaks in my backyard, go along Rollins Pass and over James Peak and to Berthoud Pass. From there, you get to enter some AMAZING scenery and get to over a 14er. Work your way down and connect to the Colorado Trail and end up in the new Collegiate West/CDT over some great scenery of above treeline hiking and alpine lakes before ending at Monarch Pass.

Not a bad journey at all I would say.

This is rapid planning, but get the Bear Creek CDT maps and use the Owen's CDT town guide and I think you should be OK on a short notice.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mags; 06-25-2013 at 21:23.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thanks Mags!

Who knows what I'll end up doing... Maybe wonder the state, pick up some topos and see what I can see...

Or perhaps walk north on the CDT til I don't want to anymore

Mags (or anyone else for that matter),

I have some friends that were going to meet me in Leadville area, and my parents as well so I figure that CDT is not an option. I am thinking that I will walk till San Juans (or wherever the fires are at the time) and get around them somehow (hitch, greyhound etc) and continue on if possible.

I wont have I ride home til mid August so idk what Ill do til then, maybe hitch around and do some fourteeners or find a campground to stay at, or just do ome other trails.

How does that sound?

Well, I had to cancel my trip, mostly for other reasons, anyway. But I hope it gets contained quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by karnak View Post
    I am thinking that I will walk till San Juans (or wherever the fires are at the time) and get around them somehow (hitch, greyhound etc) and continue on if possible.
    I think that is a good plan. If the fire closures are still in effect when you reach the San Juans, you can actually walk around the affected area on some very small and remote rural roads. This would involve following the La Garita Wilderness bicycle detour to where it hits Hwy 149 near Slumgullion Pass, then going a few miles north on 149, then hiking up and over Cinnamon Pass into Silverton. As a bonus, you can climb three 14'ers - Redcloud, Sunshine, and Handies. Once you reach Silverton you can get back on the trail and finish in Durango.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++