WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Heads up for CT hikers - Closures

From the The CTF facebook page:

WILDFIRE EVACUATION AFFECTING COLORADO TRAIL. Just learned...http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/06/1...ferson-county/ Sheriff has begun stopping CT travelers at South Platte River, the division between Segments 1 and 2.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/06/1...ferson-county/
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Great. I've got a non refundable plane ticket for Friday, planning on starting the CT sunday or monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fisher View Post
    Great. I've got a non refundable plane ticket for Friday, planning on starting the CT sunday or monday.
    It's a shame for sure. I had a feeling this would be a bad fire year. Keep on checking The CTF Facebook page. It may be contained..you never know.

In the meantime, a back up plan is good to have. Perhaps start at Segment 3? Public transit does go to Pine Jct, CO and it would be fairly easy to hitch?

EDIT: Bus runs only on weekdays: http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules...=12&routeId=CV

You will miss just ~30 miles of the CT.
    Last edited by Mags; 06-19-2013 at 21:31.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Thanks Mags. I've got 6 weeks to go.

Journal Entries

Crap!

I'm in the same boat, Daniel. Flying out Saturday and planning on hiking Sunday.

Figures!

Journal Entries

Default Waterton Canyon now closed

Even getting to the Section 3 start looks dicey, the map here shows it in an evacuation area: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_2...aterton-canyon

Quote Originally Posted by coloradokevin View Post
    Even getting to the Section 3 start looks dicey, the map here shows it in an evacuation area: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_2...aterton-canyon
    Per the recent update the CTF facebook page..looks like a good option?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Via CTF facebook page

FIRE UPDATE - Lime Gulch Fire (formerly called Chair Rocks Fire) has not currently enveloped any of the CT. However, CT closures are in place including Waterton and Seg 2 ... so (functionally and safety-wise) CT SEGMENTS 1 AND 2 ARE CLOSED
    . Best info now suggests users might change their plans to START AT THE SEGMENT 3 BEGINNING, LITTLE SCRAGGY TRAILHEAD. Currently upwind from fire, Seg 3 is reportedly still open and we think Jefferson County 126 Pine Valley Road might well be open, though there are some indications it is closed south of Buffalo Creek. Best known FIRE MAP HERE-->

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=204318781144712508754.0004df8759998a fcc865f&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=39.457403%2C-105.261383&spn=0.424125%2C0.850067&z=10&source=emb ed

No way to tell, based on the wording "we think Jefferson County 126 Pine Valley Road might well be open, though there are some indications it is closed south of Buffalo Creek". They pretty much covered the two available options though

County Road 126 resident just confirmed she drove from Hwy 285 to Colorado Trail Little Scraggy TH via CR 126. She characterized as OPEN. I think OPEN. But, sheriff's office and InciWeb both still consider it closed South of the town of Buffalo Creek.

I'm starting Friday night or Saturday morning from Mt. Princeton Hotsprings heading toward Denver. If I only make it to Kenosha or the west end of Buffalo Creek, so be it. I spent last weekend putting food caches out near Turquoise Lake and Kenosha Pass. My plan was to have my wife drive me Friday afternoon, but she may get the call to work the fire Friday (we're both VFD'ers in the area) and has to work her other job Saturday. I'm still trying to arrange transportation on Saturday if plan A falls through and if I can find a way with room for more than me, I'll post. We might also be able to drop someone off at Kenosha on the way to Princeton.

Journal Entries

I know better than to even ask the question, since I used to occasionally go out on wildland fire assignments when I was a park ranger......but I can't resist asking.

Does anyone have a clue when segments 1 and 2 could open up again?

I'm supposed to fly out Saturday, but I am thinking of either waiting a few days, or bagging the trip for this year.

So far the fire hasn't directly impacted the CT and while it's "only" 600 acres currently, it's on a relatively remote ridgeline in moderate to heavy timber. It's going to be a handcrew-only affair and it could be anywhere from several days to a week before they get a handle on it, if, and that's a big if, it doesn't blow up. Today was awful fire conditions, as the fire near Pagosa Springs blew up from about 9,000 acres to over 18,000 acres just today, so it's a relatively good sign that the Lime Gulch fire (the one impacting sections 1-2) didn't blow up today.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how close the fire down near Pagosa is to the CT in that corner of the state and that thing is now officially a monster that could take a month or more to suppress without cooperative weather. It's in the wilderness, too, so very little road access. That's the fire that has me more concerned for the long run. Anyone know how far from the CT it is currently?

Quote Originally Posted by frogchop View Post
    On the other hand, I'm not sure how close the fire down near Pagosa is to the CT in that corner of the state and that thing is now officially a monster that could take a month or more to suppress without cooperative weather. It's in the wilderness, too, so very little road access. That's the fire that has me more concerned for the long run. Anyone know how far from the CT it is currently?
    That fire is 70 miles from the CT and currently does not look like a problem for CT hikers. The CDT is a different matter, and is closed in the vicinity of Wolf Creek Pass. There is another new fire called the Papoose fire which is burning in the vicinity of Rio Grande Reservoir. That is fairly close to the CT, but the CT is primarily above timberline in that area. (Segments 22, 23 and 24) That fire has not been picked up by Inciweb yet, but the smoke plume is visible from Durango.

Thanks for the Public Transport info Mags...

I'm flying in from the UK in a couple of weeks and was planning on starting on a Saturday - looks like I might have to stay in Denver a little longer than anticipated...

...and there I was agonising over gear lists...never considered fires

As of yesterday at about 6pm, the locals report the start of segement three was open (little scraggy TH) " I went to the trailhead today around 1 pm and it was open"

Off to the Lost Creek Wilderness in about 10 minutes. I'll be hiking near Bailey, CO will be passing Pine Jct.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

I was planning on hiking from Waterton to Breckenridge starting on Monday as well. Would anyone like to share transportation costs to get to the start of section 3?

Also just out of curiosity and I hadn't really thought about it until someone mentioned it a few posts up, but what will the trail conditions be like this time of year?
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    I was planning on hiking from Waterton to Breckenridge starting on Monday as well. Would anyone like to share transportation costs to get to the start of section 3?
    Hi Chance,

I also intend to start hiking on monday and would surely like to share transportation. However i arrive by plane sunday evening and would like to shop for groceries and some other items on monday morning, so i was thinking of leaving Denver in the early afternoon. Hope that's ok with you.

Regards,
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHeman View Post
    monday
    Monday july 1st, that is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++