WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Tarptent Cloudburst 3

Does anyone have experience with the new Cloudburst 3?
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

I had a Cloudburst 2 and really liked it, I always thought the dual hoop poles made more sense in terms of space and function. This version is obviously bigger and has more features, looks great.

Images

Lets see if we can't revive this thread...
    I am considering a CB3 or a DR...
    Anyone have a Cloudburst 3 and care to share thoughts and feedback on the tent?
    I realize they have not been in production very long, but no setup videos or owner reviews online as of yet...
    What gives..
    Anybody?

Lets say my camping partner could not make the AT thru-hike with me..
    Would the CB3 be overkill for 1 person?
    Would I earn the trail name ... Huge/Big Tent or similar ?

I had the 2 and that was huge for one person...so yes, too big for one IMO

Images

I have the CB 2- used it for 150 miles--traded it in for a TT Contrail. The CB 2 is a great tent for 2 people no experience with the CB 3. I personally don't like carrying and using tent poles, the Contrail uses hiking poles. Can't lose with Henry and Tarp Tent....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmmm...
    The Cloudburst 3 is a pound lighter than my tiny, cramped solo tent.
    As a "one size fits many purposes", the Cloudburst 3 is less expensive than a solo + 2 person tent for those who need both sizes. Certainly the right size for a couple with a child or dog or other fur bearing critter.
    Looks like a winner to me. The Cloudburst 3 is on my short list if my grand kids ever decide to join me on the trail.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

My CB3 is on the way in 3-4 weeks, just in time for awesome winter outdoor nights here in the swamp. Henry is a bit backordered on them. I absolutely LOVE my StratoSpire as well, but it was a bit small for the deluxe pads that me and the GF use for car camping. But even at 3#, this number might be light enough for the both of us to take on a small backpacking trip as well.

I'll try to find this thread and post back on it once I've had a go at it. But I can tell ya, I liked the look of it from the moment I saw it on the TT website.
    We are all one big human family.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    I'll try to find this thread and post back on it once I've had a go at it. But I can tell ya, I liked the look of it from the moment I saw it on the TT website.

Here are the threads/links I have previously viewed of the CB3.. there are a few others but they just mention the tent with a hyperlink to the TT website or talk about swapping out the stakes for lighter ones to get the tent under 3 pounds...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...514&startat=60

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...514&startat=20

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=76514

http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...514&startat=40

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...l/New_tarptent

Images

Well,,, after starting this thread in June, I pulled the trigger and purchased the Cloudburst 3. I have to say I'm quite pleased seeing it in person! I'll be taking it on an upcoming backpacking and kayaking trip in 2 weeks, and will report back once the trip is over. I own several TT's (DR, Moment, and now the C3). I also owned the Contrail and Notch, but i returned them because they were too small for my big frame (6'5", 250#'s). The Moment has been my favorite for a while, but I think the C3 will overtake that title. I've lightened my load over the years, but readjusted based on my preferences. The C3 represents one of those adjustments. I'll admit,,, as a big guy, I like having room to move around in my tent. The C3 allows me that room. I also like the hoop design,,, head room from end to end. Ultimately the weight of this tent is minimal for what you get. My complete gear list comes in at under 18 #'s, so w/ 5 days of food & a liter of h20, I'm right at 30 #'s total,,, which is not bad for this big fella. If I can camp in luxury, and hike with minimal weight, I've won!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Just trying to revive the thread. I too am going back and forth on the CB3 and the Double Rainbow and was just wondering if anyone had maybe an updated review?

Images

We are interested as well...leaning towards Stratospire 2, but open to consider the CB 3

Once again just trying to get some good insight. I am going back and forth between the cloudburst 3 and the double rainbow.

Has anyone used the liner? If so does it hang pretty taut and not eat that much into the headroom?

Well I pulled the trigger on a CB3 and it should be here thursday so ill post some pictures and can hopefully awnser some questions.

Congrats on the purchase...

Thanks well see how it turns out.

Images

I don't see the point of a liner made with solid fabric when it doesn't cover any of the mesh. Drafts and vulnerability to spindrift is unchanged.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mankind117 View Post
    Has anyone used the liner? If so does it hang pretty taut and not eat that much into the headroom?
    I had considered buying a liner for winter use with my TT double rainbow, but it doesn't appear to cover the mesh portions between the floor and the fly. Instead it covers the top and mid portion of the fly. This leads me to believe that it was designed to deal with misting/condensation issues (which I've never had much of a problem with in my tent)

There is an old thread about the liner that can be found here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t-Moment-liner
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

"This leads me to believe that it was designed to deal with misting/condensation issues (which I've never had much of a problem with in my tent)"
    Correct ( and same here re problem) .
    To me wiping down with a kitchen cloth (if needed) is something that takes a few seconds and I find those cloths very handy for many uses anyway.
    Still, some find it irritating brushing against a possibly wet fly so the liner takes care of that.
    franco@tarptent

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    "This leads me to believe that it was designed to deal with misting/condensation issues (which I've never had much of a problem with in my tent)"
    Correct ( and same here re problem) .
    To me wiping down with a kitchen cloth (if needed) is something that takes a few seconds and I find those cloths very handy for many uses anyway.
    Still, some find it irritating brushing against a possibly wet fly so the liner takes care of that.
    franco@tarptent
    But why use solid fabric? Durability? Nanoseeum mesh would almost certainly be lighter and still handle those issues very nearly as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++