WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well if it was made with nano mesh some would comment that for an extra ounce it could be made with fabric and offer better protection...

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    But why use solid fabric? Durability? Nanoseeum mesh would almost certainly be lighter and still handle those issues very nearly as well.
    It is true that moving to nanoseeum mesh might save about 1.5 ounces but, yes, the solid fabric is more durable. It also provides a more effective condensation barrier--droplets cannot get through--as well as a pretty good thermal layer. It traps a bit of heat in cold weather and provides noticeable heat reflection in direct sun.

-H

OK, just to give a more helpful comment than my previous one...Experimenting in my backyard with various shelters gives me the opportunity to do some comparison that I can't do or are not that practical to do in the bush .
    One day playing with the Scarp I had its fabric inner up by itself.
    It started raining but because I had another couple of shelters set up I just left it there.
    That is when I discovered that the white fabric TT uses for the inners and liners is water resistant enough to hold mild rain for a while.
    Late,r on various occasions whilst seam sealing (striping the floor), I also noticed that the fabric inner was a bit cooler than no inner or mesh inner only.
    I think that Henry arrived at the same conclusion more or less doing the same.

Images

I do like this tent. An affordable spacious lightweight 3/4 season tunnel tent was too much to hope for.

Images

It's hard to decide between this and the Stratospire 2. My wife and I are definitely getting one or the other, but we keep going back and forth over which one.

The reason I tend to like the CB3 better is that it is roomy. The SS 2 is about the same size (according to the specs) as our Jack Rabbit SL 2, and it's tight in there! I do think the SS2 has much bigger vestibules.

I guess pros of SS2 over CB3 are: lighter, has side entry ways, probably packs smaller.

Any advice Henry or Franco?

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    It's hard to decide between this and the Stratospire 2. My wife and I are definitely getting one or the other, but we keep going back and forth over which one.

The reason I tend to like the CB3 better is that it is roomy. The SS 2 is about the same size (according to the specs) as our Jack Rabbit SL 2, and it's tight in there! I do think the SS2 has much bigger vestibules.

I guess pros of SS2 over CB3 are: lighter, has side entry ways, probably packs smaller.

Any advice Henry or Franco?
    Looking at the specs for the Jack Rabbit SL 2, it certainly looks to me like the SS2 would feel quite a bit roomier. The SS2 has quite a bit more interior height and volume.

Your comments about " lighter, has side entry ways, probably packs smaller" are all true.

-H

The SS 2 is about the same size (according to the specs) as our Jack Rabbit SL 2, and it's tight in there!
    In looking a bit more at the specs and diagrams I can see that the SS2 is actually quite a bit roomier at ground/sleeping level. The Jack Rabbit SL 2 tapers inward (52" head -->42" foot) whereas the SS2 is a true rectangle (52" to as wide at 60" depending which interior apex clip setting you use). That means that you can fit two full length wide pads in the SS2 and cannot do so in the Jack Rabbit.

-H

Images

Thanks, Henry! My wife pointed that out as well after I posted. The BA, definitely tapers big time, and the vestibules are very small. It's hard to even get a pack under it without a piece of the pack sticking out. I see in videos that the SS2 vestibule is big enough to sleep under.

Plus the adjustability of the SS2 width all the way to 60 really does look like it would make a huge difference!

I like the CB3 better, but the wife likes the SS2 better, and guess who will win? lol

Thanks, Henry! My wife pointed that out as well after I posted. The BA, definitely tapers big time, and the vestibules are very small. It's hard to even get a pack under it without a piece of the pack sticking out. I see in videos that the SS2 vestibule is big enough to sleep under.

Plus the adjustability of the SS2 width all the way to 60 really does look like it would make a huge difference!

I like the CB3 better, but the wife likes the SS2 better, and guess who will win? lol
    I think I offered before (my memory is foggy) but if you want to come sit in an SS2 let me know. I'm happy to set mine up, though it sounds like you (read: your wife) may have already decided. I find the SS2 big enough inside for two people and their gear without even using the vestibules.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I think I offered before (my memory is foggy) but if you want to come sit in an SS2 let me know. I'm happy to set mine up, though it sounds like you (read: your wife) may have already decided. I find the SS2 big enough inside for two people and their gear without even using the vestibules.
    PM'd you.

Yeah, I think that taper in the BA we have really makes a huge difference. Thanks for the offer, and hopefully we can get by to take a look.

The reason I chose the CB3 over the SS2 is just because I dont hike with poles and if i got the SS2 and then got the supplemental poles I figured that it would bump the standard 43ounces to more than 49 ounces (weight of CB3) which for me destroys the weight saving aspect.Meanwhile the CB3 still has more floor space while fully enclosed in mesh and with the full bathtub floor height. The CB3 also just seemed like a more storm resistant choice due to design. Of course this was just my preference due to me not using poles.

Well I actually just realized that the replacement pole set for the SS2 is an extra 5 ounces making the SS2 weight come to 48 which gives you a one ounce savings over the standard CB3. I did not realize I could click on the poles in extras on the tarptent website and get specs but I guess I should have tried before guessing.

I have a 1 person Rainbow but always loved the SS, never looked too hard into the CB. Either way seems to be a good choice.

Well i totally screwed up and posted all of the pics of the CB3 to another thread heres the link http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...81#post1836081 .
    Anyways I weighed mine with the standard 2 crosspoles and 4 stock stakes and it came in at 54oz 5 more than the claimed 49oz. However I am using the carbon fiber aluminum hybrid poles instead of the stock aluminum ones though which are supposed to be lighter as well. Im not sure what caused the extra 5 ounces.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++