WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default GPS app for iPhone??

Im interested in a GPS app for the JMT that I can download onto my iphone 4. It's my understanding that there are certain apps that can be used without needing and internet or satellite connection, therefore significantly reducing the pace of battery drainage. Has anyone ever used an app like this before? Or know where to download one?

"THE" best app for iphone/ipad is GaiaGPS, bar none. I've tried many, if not all. Great for offline maps, importing/exporting, a new cloud, and the large variety of maps. Very well support via email/forums, etc.

I use MotionxGPS. I have tried many. This is my favorite. I almost only use the MotionX topo maps instead of the bing and apple map sets it also comes with.
    Markdek have you tried it? I would like to know your thoughts on it compared to GaiaGPS.

Yep, tried motionxgps...good app, but not as good as Gaia...in many ways.

For example, motionxgps only has a few map types...gaia has many many maps, including USFS, which is very up to date, and shows popular trails. USGS topo maps are older and typically are poor at showing trails.

Yeah, I don't even know what USFS is. MotionX is much cheaper. It does have the entire AT and every side trail I have come across and all the trails around me in PA. They also update frequently. I wish Gaia had a lite version so I could test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stroll View Post
    Yeah, I don't even know what USFS is. MotionX is much cheaper. It does have the entire AT and every side trail I have come across and all the trails around me in PA. They also update frequently. I wish Gaia had a lite version so I could test it out.
    I bought mine when is was cheep.....sometimes you make out w/ IOS apps if you get them early.......gotta love free updates.

USFS = United States Forrest Service.......and I'm surprised the AT in on the Motionx Terrain Base Map?...or did you import it from a gpx file?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by markdek View Post
    "THE" best app for iphone/ipad is GaiaGPS, bar none. I've tried many, if not all. Great for offline maps, importing/exporting, a new cloud, and the large variety of maps. Very well support via email/forums, etc.
    +1 I use this app as well! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stroll View Post
    Hey, I'm part of the Gaia GPS team. There is a "lite" version called Offline Topo Maps, which is $9.99 rather than $19.99 for Gaia GPS. But if you buy Gaia GPS and aren't happy with it you can just send an email to [email protected] and we'll be happy to refund you. Feel free to hit me up with any questions about the app, too.

I bought mine when is was cheep.....sometimes you make out w/ IOS apps if you get them early.......gotta love free updates.

USFS = United States Forrest Service.......and I'm surprised the AT in on the Motionx Terrain Base Map?...or did you import it from a gpx file?
    All the trails are in the motionx terrain map set. I have not imported anything. It shows shelters and some of the overlooks as well. Also old lines the AT has taken and alternate routes that can be taken.

Gaiagps thanks for the info! I will think about it. $20 just seems high even with a refund. But, like I said I will think on it. I also will probably end up buying it...I dont like asking for refunds.

Kinda creepy, in a nice way. Now I wonder how many things my mom has seen me type about my thoughts of her.

Gaia GPS is the app I use. I'll be hiking the JMT in '14, and this is what I'll use. When you have WiFi connection, use Gaia to download to the phone the USGS topo maps for the area of the JMT. You can also find a .gps file for the JMT track online and download that to the phone. Now you have the trail (as a track) in a nice bright color of your choice on a detailed topo map and your phone will show you exactly where you are (on or off trail) whenever you need to check your position. No internet or cellular connection required once you have done the downloading.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

A friend had Gaia on his Iphone and it did a great job of keeping us from taking wrong turns in unmarked wilderness sections. I got it for my Android and have limited use to date. Unfortunately, my phone is smarter than I, had to get some over the phone help from Gaia... nice, helpful folks, that's a big plus.

I'm no GPS expert by a long shot but I love all of the info that you can get from Halfmile. According to his website his data will be available for Gaia soon.

http://www.pctmap.net/iphone/gaia.html
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I have an Android phone, not an iPhone; hopefully the apps work pretty much the same on both. I've used gaiagps, and in a recent issue I had I found their customer support quite responsive and friendly. But ultimately not helpful; on my space-limited phone I can't cache maps on my SD card, they instead go to a sort of software-only "SD card" which is actually just part of the very limited memory on my phone. What made me switch, though, was a hike yesterday when yet again I had downloaded map data for the area of travel, at maximum zoom level, but when I tried to zoom in to where the needed detail was, part of the map data was just not there --- I got a patterned white background instead.

So yesterday I paid $10 for Backcountry Navigator pro. The UI is similar and seems about equally intuitive (from what I recall reading I think this didn't used to be the case?). It definitely allows me to cache maps on my actual SD card (even showed me how much free space I have on the card when I select that as my download storage location). It seems to offer all of the maps that GaiaGPS does, as well as some others for an annual charge; I don't see the need for those. And I was able to download a trail plot for a trail I'm hiking this weekend. I kind of like the mini-compass built into the default screen.

Time will tell if the "missing part of the data" problem shows up here too, i.e., perhaps it was an issue with the free data provider (so I don't mean to slam gaiagps overly hard here), but I'm finding that with the ability to save maps onto my actual phone, I can download, say, both caltopo USGS as well as forest service (underlying usgs), so hopefully at least one will have the data I need. Here's hoping, and at $10 it wasn't a big $$ hit to try out the competition, and at this point, Backcountry Navigator looks to be my go-to topo map app.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

BrianLe, For android I use Critter maps BackCountry Navigator Pro. I purchased The Accuterra Map Pack a year ago or so for $20. It updated this year to a single layer map, so my entire JMT download was under 200 MB and very nice. It would have been over 5GB previously. I have been extremely happy with this software for Android. You have a choice of many different free map selections as well. Both TOPO and SAT images. I am adding and removing sections all the time for hikes, hunts, MTB rides. This way its all preloaded and I don't have to use any data if I don't want to, or if its not available.

Here is another one for Backcountry Navigator Pro. Downloaded it last year as a temp fix after my Delorme GPS died from a leaking battery. It has worked so well that I am having a hard time laying out another $350 for the Delorme PN-60. I'm not sure if they have an Iphone version though.....
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Guthook has a JMT app, only 5.99. Combine that with Halfmiles PCT section that overlays the JMT and you are all set. BackCountry navigator is also fine, but I found I used the Guthook app and Halfmile app much more often on the PCT this year, and will again on the JMT this fall.

++ New Posts ++