WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    yup. and gotta be latex. latex is the only thing that'll stop those buggers. latex laced with permathrin.
    This is one of those rare times that dosen't happen often when I got absolutely nothing to say...and nothing funny about latex gloves in the summer, not even a little bit I just can't get excited about the prospects of it.

you got me, i'm gonna walk away now with my smelly cheap shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Truth be told, I'm gonna break down and buy one of those Merino shirt icebreaker thingy's, there just so much $$$ for one garment...I'm a cheap bastid, frugal to the very core. But if there that good, it'll be my new best thing, and I'd wear it to death.
    I'm cheap as well but having worn merino I wouldn't wear anything else. I did get a good deal on my smartwool shirts at sierra trading post. About half off regular retail but the selection and sizing was limited.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    I'm cheap as well but having worn merino I wouldn't wear anything else. I did get a good deal on my smartwool shirts at sierra trading post. About half off regular retail but the selection and sizing was limited.
    Well that means a lot to hear you say you like it...hope I do too...or I'll be peesed at myself and hulk out in it.

I may be the only one on the planet, but I MUCH prefer most synthetics to wool Merino or otherwise. I find it dries slowly and despite claims to the contrary, I found the stink worse than with at least of of my synthetics. I also like the feel of the synthetics better.

Images

Check out the Arcteryx Motus LS.

AT 2012

I think the golite wildwood is gonna be my winner... by far the lightest. that Motus LS would be my next choice, though... thanks for the tip! if things don't work out with the golite... I do have to wait for them to restock -- they only have one size, now.
    Lazarus

Under what conditions are you wearing a long sleeve in the summer? Just a need for sun protection? Seems kind of hot.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Under what conditions are you wearing a long sleeve in the summer? Seems kind of hot in general.
    a lightweight long sleeve shirt can actually be cooler than short sleeves for the sole reason of keeping the sun off your skin.if its very hot, you're gonna sweat no matter what, and the sleeves can wick away moisture the same way the fabric does for your torso.if im going above treeline, ill wear long sleeves for sure.
    one must, no knit wrist cuffs, air has to flow.
    i wear 50poly/50cotton l/s shirts from ems in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    a lightweight long sleeve shirt can actually be cooler than short sleeves for the sole reason of keeping the sun off your skin.if its very hot, you're gonna sweat no matter what, and the sleeves can wick away moisture the same way the fabric does for your torso.if im going above treeline, ill wear long sleeves for sure.
    one must, no knit wrist cuffs, air has to flow.
    i wear 50poly/50cotton l/s shirts from ems in the summer
    It would have to be the desert before I'd go with anything long sleeve personally I'd be far too hot in anything else, I only wear sleeveless shirts for summer hiking. East coast is predominantly forest. I can see it if he's planning to be out in the sun all day but I was wondering about 1azarus's specifics as he's the one asking. If it is what he normally hikes in, just trying to dial it in a little bit more. Something worn, there isn't much difference in an ounce or two vs. the function of the item.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

AT 2012

I always wear long sleeves and long pants with dirty girl gaiters (and a hat) because I want more tick protection than may be rational... Hey, I'm not scared of lots of things, but I'm pretty sure those ticks are out to get me! As Hiker boy says, long sleeves can work...and I want to find the best option.for me best means comfortable in hot weather, fast drying and light in weight. I never hike for more than two weeks in a row and I don't mind replacing worn equipment so durability isn't a big issue.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Images

I always wear long sleeves and long pants with dirty girl gaiters (and a hat) because I want more tick protection than may be rational... Hey, I'm not scared of lots of things, but I'm pretty sure those ticks are out to get me! As Hiker boy says, long sleeves can work...and I want to find the best option.for me best means comfortable in hot weather, fast drying and light in weight. I never hike for more than two weeks in a row and I don't mind replacing worn equipment so durability isn't a big issue.

If the new model is anything like the BL-1 then durability won't be an issue. One note on long sleeves and also lightweight. I picked the lightest possible long sleeve to protect me from the sun and stay as cool as possible. It certainly worked well on the PCT though i usually wear short sleeves in the green tunnel. Also if you treat the clothes then insect repellent is also minimized. Lots of good reasons to go long sleeves, but it has to bethe right long sleeves.

If it works for you that's what is important. I just wear a sleeveless shirt and a bathing sans liner in the summer. I hike pretty warm. Bandana to keep the sweat out of my eyes, although I think I will be switching to a wide brimmed hat as I have been getting burned on my scalp. Found a Tilley knockoff at Walmart two weeks ago, $10. I do keep a long sleeve microfleece and pants for in camp though, part of the reason is bugs. A get almost all my hiking shirts at Walmart, most are the Starter ones, some say repreve, polyester. They dry out reasonably quickly. They're cheap, I even wait until they get to the clearance rack. They don't have any long sleeves now I would think though, everything is short sleeve or sleeveless. Walmart also has some underarmor knockoffs too, I picked up two of these on Spring clearance, but I won't be using them until the fall.

Part of the reason I was wondering was if you were switching into something for coming out into the sun. I was going to recommend possibly a windshirt because then it would have been dual use (wind/sun), but you were wanting something for all day.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Probably not what your looking for but I use cycling arm warmers with a T shirt. The ones I have weigh 80 grams for the pair. Thats what, 2.8 oz.
    If you'd rather have sun protection without the insulation, a few companies make arm coolers. UPF/SPF 50+ on them. I haven't bought any for cycling yet, so I don't know the weight.

My other option is a Nike "Miller" LS running shirt, but its ~6.5 oz. I think an adidas climalite LS tee would be lighter - my climalite SS shirt is lighter than my Miller SS and my Under Armour SS running shirt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++