WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Ot

The underbrush grows like a jungle out there. I understand their recommendation to hike in the fall or winter. I did 3 days earlier this month and was bushwacking from blaze to blaze for a good deal of the time. There are some issue about water on some sections. I was there in the spring and it was a beautiful hike.

How about a long weekend this fall, 20 - 30 miles from Oklahoma over the The Queen Wilhelmena Lodge, www.queenwilhelmina.com, drive up Saturday AM, hike Sat, Sun Mon, big meal at the lodge (they have showers at the camp ground!) then less than 4 hours back to Dallas Monday night. ??????
    Last edited by JimSproul; 07-26-2005 at 11:56.

Default im there!

that sounds great. it would be wonderful to meet other at hikers in training or those with some at experience, see other folks gear, techniques and such. i can go just about anytime as long as i have time to give the job notice

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest
    it sure is. that is where i work. so if we ever got an a.t. group together for training hikes or the like....we would have plenty of sweet nectar at the end of the trail. anybody interested in doing the caprock canyon trail once the weather breaks?
    We just passed thru and stopped at Dublin DP, 7-2-2005. Got there at 4:30, had fountain drinks, bought t-shirts and 5 cases of DP......

you might find this Phoon interesting.

http://www.phoons.com/drpepper1.html

Images

Default How about a Whiteblaze Mid-West Hook-up

What about Thanksgiving Weekend. We do Thursday with the kin folk, then meet up in the mountains Friday morning, back to civilization on late Sunday afternoon?

It is in their Bear / Deer mondern gun season but the OT, in its western sections travels through a number of designated wilderness areas. We would need to mark packs and people with orange but the temps should be good.

I would have at least two, I have a daughter that is a hiker, perhaps one of my sons if his school schedule permits.

I will be going up for a work weekend in September to clear my section. I always have an extra brush hook!

Default again, im there!

that sounds good to me.
    what does the section maintenance entail?

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default Texans

If you guys want to find more info on Texas hiking then google it and see what happens. I have found tons of info while doing the same thing. Texas' longest trail is the Lonestar Trail. The trail is 123 miles long and is in the Houston area. The trail has a good website and all that you'd need to know is on the site. Glad to see you bought a boat from Mountain Sports Jim. I'm guessing a guy named Steve helped you out on that. Those people are all class acts at that outfitters. Hey Trailsnail....email me if you want some info on hiking trails in and around the DFW area. I know a few that aren't listed online etc. Cedar Hill state park being one of them. Take care my fellow Texans !!!
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Default an idea

i think it would be great for you thru hikers to give a talk or slide show or puppet show sometime in our area. there was someone gave one at the rei in austin a year or two back and i missed it. it would be really beneficial to us maids in waiting

Default Caprock

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest
    anybody interested in doing the caprock canyon trail once the weather breaks?
    Actually there are two trails out there.

The Caprock Canyon Trailway: About 65 miles long. It starts
    near the town of Estelline and runs southwest to the town of Quitaque.
    Very nice in the fall after the summer heat and before the cold nights
    move in. This was my first long distance hike. There are lots of
    trail heads along the route, so it's easy to cache water and snacks.
    Carrying lots of water is not necessary which is rare for a Texas
    hike. While you are driving thru stashing water, stop in Turkey, Texas
    for lunch. The home of Bob Wills.

The Caprock Canyon State Park Trail: Have done this 6 mile trail
    many times. Like to pack up the south face and stealth camp near
    Fern Falls; great place with good water up there. The south face is
    a steep and dangerous climb with a heavy pack. There is a beautiful
    flat landing about a third of the way up with a view of the canyon
    down below. Really nice place to hang out.

But man, is it going to be HOT as heck out there this time of year.

And by the way, Jim, Interstate 20 and Interstate 30 go right thru
    Fort Worth. I 20 runs south of the downtown area. Right by Hulen
    Mall. The town of Weatherford is west of Fort Worth. You would have
    to drive a 100 miles out of your way to go from Dallas to Weatherford
    without going thru Fort Worth.
    Last edited by HikerHobo; 07-26-2005 at 17:05.

Images

Worth the 100 miles to me, besides that isn't south of downtown FW, it is North of Arlington! I know those numbers like 20 and 30 are hard to keep track of when you get past the toe range, try stackin' cow chips. They keep them in the stock yard /convention center.

Images

Default OT Work Weekend

...So much for lively banter, now back to business

The work weekend I will be doing is mostly clearing brush. Brambles, poison, just about everything. Most of the material has had several years to grow. The first 1.5 miles of my section that is really overgrown and hard to navigate. The OT was built in 1978 and has been maintain off and on since then. There are blue blazes but in some area you have to bust through chest high brush. There are a few blow downs but as of early July they could all be cut with pack saws.

I would like to open a path the trip and re-blaze the areas where navigation is spotty. Next spring I will catch the growth before it gets bad. The section before mine from the Lovers Leap Trail to the Scenic Hyway is just as bad.

Queen Wilhelmena Stat Park has some tent sites. I would stay there if they have some available. If not, there is a Country Store in the Village of Rich Mountain at the base of Rich Mountain, about 30 minutes walk by road. Both have showers and restaurants.

It is 4 hours +- from Dallas via Oklahoma. Depending on work I will go up either Friday evening or early Saturday, work, then back home Sunday.

It someone wanted to do a section of two or the OT while I am ther I would be happy to take a break and provide a little shuttle service.

By the way, I would love to do the Caprock Trailway. I have had that trip fall through three times in the last year and a half. Always transportation issues. The folks at Caprock Stat Park are very friendly and helpful. The trailhead on the North end is right on Hywy 287.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSproul
    besides that isn't south of downtown FW, it is North of Arlington!
    Pull up a map, Jim. The DFW area is not that complicated.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...ew=1&name=&qty=

Images

Not complicated? We must be talking about different areas alltogether you do mean the DALLAS fortwoth area of Texas, right?

Some Yahoo of a map! Try this one, sure looks south of Fort Worth to me.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.72...&z=6&t=h&hl=en

They call it Edgecliff, long walk from Cow Town. Water Gardens to the South Freeway (820 for you boys in Fort Worth) is about 7 miles. Take better part of a day with a full pack. The water gardens are still in fort woth arn't they? Did they run em off when they started killing people?

You fellers are just too much fun. Still worked up about not getting the State Fair and having to settle for the Fat Stock Show eh?

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default battle royale

Dallas Vs. Ft. Worth ??? hahahaaaa Yeah that's why I live in Midlothian. I enjoy the best of both without the traffic or crime. Goodtimes...
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

boys, boys....
    Hey, I30 (Thru FW), is much better now that they totally rebuilt it. I even tow my enclosed car hauler thru there now. I used to exit and go THRU downtown FW, just to avoid I30. I20....that runst south of Arlington, across south FW and joins I30 on the west side of FW. Just came thru there.

I'm getting sick of the big city.....but jobs are here and kids in school.

Images

Default Progress

Hey Mountain Dew -

How far along have you gotten? I have been watching www.at2003.com but have not seen an update in a while.

I have taken a class from Steve out at Joe Pool Lake. I actually bought the Kayak from John. They gave me a good deal and good advice. I will be back for more gear for my daughter shortly. They are a good bunch of folks. An they are in Pantego, like I-20, South of Fort Worth.

Sorry, I just had to!
    Last edited by JimSproul; 07-27-2005 at 16:07.

Default trail maintenance

i am intereested in going up to arkansas and helping you with your maintenance that weekend. and im definitely up for hiking the caprock canyon trail again.

Default Count Me In

I'd like to do the Thanksgiving weekend OT hike and Caprock Canyon trip with you. Anyone live far enough east to be familiar with the 4-C trail? Texas Hiking.com has a lot of info about Texas hiking. Tim, "Dread," GA-ME in 2003, gave three evening workshops on his AT experience at the Austin REI store in the summer of 2004. Surprising as it may be, Cameron Park, Waco, on the Brazos River, is a good six mile workout. Western Arkansas has good potential, but will require strong logistical preparation.

I was born, raised and graduated high school in Dallas, err, Oak Cliff, USA (I remember street cars), but lived a year in Ft. Worth and really liked it. We live in McGregor now. McG is 15 miles west of Waco. It's a neutral site in the war between Dallas and Ft. Worth.

Images

Wow! I just found this thread and I am really excited... I hiked about 600 miles on the AT this year. Started at Springer in March, hiked to past Erwin where I had to get off for family. Went back, skipped up to Waynesboro area so I could hike with my buddies, and went as far as Harpers Ferry before I headed back home. I loved it! Only trouble was being away from my husband so long. I live in Brenham, but am interested in hiking or getting together with anyone from Texas interested in the AT.

By the way, the hiker that spoke at REI was Tim, trail name Dreds, who hiked in 2003, and works for REI in Austin (or did last year). I met him in NY where I was doing trail magic. I try to get out to the AT when ever I get a chance (usually at least once a year). I'm pretty old (58) but in good health.

I have hiked good portions of the Lone Star Trail, but it is a bug fest! I haven't done the 4-C, but I am familiar with its whereabouts. Red Hat

Quote Originally Posted by rmtjr
    I'd like to do the Thanksgiving weekend OT hike and Caprock Canyon trip with you. Anyone live far enough east to be familiar with the 4-C trail? Texas Hiking.com has a lot of info about Texas hiking. Tim, "Dread," GA-ME in 2003, gave three evening workshops on his AT experience at the Austin REI store in the summer of 2004. Surprising as it may be, Cameron Park, Waco, on the Brazos River, is a good six mile workout. Western Arkansas has good potential, but will require strong logistical preparation.

I was born, raised and graduated high school in Dallas, err, Oak Cliff, USA (I remember street cars), but lived a year in Ft. Worth and really liked it. We live in McGregor now. McG is 15 miles west of Waco. It's a neutral site in the war between Dallas and Ft. Worth.
    sounds suspiciously close to Crawford.....now where have we heard of that from?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by oldkathy
    Wow! I just found this thread and I am really excited... I hiked about 600 miles on the AT this year. Started at Springer in March, hiked to past Erwin where I had to get off for family. Went back, skipped up to Waynesboro area so I could hike with my buddies, and went as far as Harpers Ferry before I headed back home. I loved it! Only trouble was being away from my husband so long. I live in Brenham, but am interested in hiking or getting together with anyone from Texas interested in the AT.

By the way, the hiker that spoke at REI was Tim, trail name Dreds, who hiked in 2003, and works for REI in Austin (or did last year). I met him in NY where I was doing trail magic. I try to get out to the AT when ever I get a chance (usually at least once a year). I'm pretty old (58) but in good health.

I have hiked good portions of the Lone Star Trail, but it is a bug fest! I haven't done the 4-C, but I am familiar with its whereabouts. Red Hat
    hey! oldkathy/red hat had me confused. I hit your trail journal about a month back. Then, hit it again yesterday (I think you posted a 'post script'). I'm following along several hikers. One has completed. I owe him an email next month. One, had to drop off. A few are still at it. one is almost done, but he is from the NE and keeps getting distracted and going home!!!
    Anyway, congrats on taking the time to hike!!! In about 10 years (or more), I hope to!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++