WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Journal Entries

Never is a long time.

But I see no need for changes either. It is, what it is. Its what it was meant to be.

It can be improved in place for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I always thought that MT. Oglethorpe would make a nice southern terminus for the trail.
    And Benton MacKaye had is heart set on Mt. Washington being the northern terminus.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I would be curious to know how many of the people cheer-leading the effort to extend the Appalachian Trail presently do any volunteer/maintenance work on the already existing one.
    I agree. I also wonder how many have hiked the AT. But seriously, what is in a name? Hike where you want and do not worry about the name. Here in Florida, we have the Florida trail which is composed of numerous individual trails. We have the international At, the Great Eastern Trail and Eastern Continental Trail, each composed of different individual trails. Is it really important that the individual trails loose their identification?
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Is there anything stopping someone today from treating the Pinhoti Trail/BMT as their approach trail to springer? Would adding this to the AT do anything from stopping someone from showing up at Springer and hiking North? (other than than them not being eligible for the new revised 2000+ mile patch)
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I think it's absurd to even consider extending the AT. The ATC and the local trail clubs already have enough to care for. Other local trail clubs in Georgia and Alabama are making their own strides with the BMT and Pinhoti. As it is a hiker can hike from Key West to Cape Gaspe and beyond, but the truth is most have a hard enough time from Springer to Katahdin without adding to their burden.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++