WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default how to stay sober on the trail

my 2012 hike was good... did 700 miles, but my main concern was to get to town to drink...... drinking and depression drove me off the trail... the only way I did big miles, was to get to town to drink.... I wish I could be relaxed and content.... but I had to be in a hurry to get nowhere..... any other drunks out there that could slow down and enjoy themselves without consumed with alcohol????
    eveready

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    my 2012 hike was good... did 700 miles, but my main concern was to get to town to drink...... drinking and depression drove me off the trail... the only way I did big miles, was to get to town to drink.... I wish I could be relaxed and content.... but I had to be in a hurry to get nowhere..... any other drunks out there that could slow down and enjoy themselves without consumed with alcohol????
    Ekeverette, I hear ya....Have you had enough? I've ruined many a fishin trips when booze took over....problem was it took over the trip long before the trip even started (in my mind). There is a easier way to live...don't drink and go to meetings or find someone down there who doesn't drink and pal around with them for a while, fake it till ya make it, one day at a time....all these little saying have meaning to me, I sure hope you can find meaning in them too. PM me anytime there's a fine life waiting for you...ya just gotta go out a take it, no one can get it for you.

Ya man, that doesn't sound like a trail-specific problem to me. Good luck to you, I hope you can find something that works for you.

+1 to the above posts.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

the only way is not to do it, become friends with "Bill W.", get a sponsor, say good bye to your old drinking buddies. The toughest step is the first one, the one you have do alone. I am sure there are plenty of meeting places along the trail, when you need one.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

I drink on a daily basis but have no problem going days, weeks, months or years (8 is my record) without it, I can relate to the situation though. I've had every bad habit know to man but the one I just could not kick was Copenhagen snuff, tried to quit after every dip, harder I tried to quit the more adicted I got. Not trying to get religious on you here, just going to state the facts as they happened. I was reading the Bible one day in the den and read the verse that says "ask and it will be given", I'd read that 100's of times before but something happened that time that I can't explain, I understood it in a way I had never before, I knew if I asked it would be granted, I closed the Bible and started to ask but before I could start this voice from within said "Sam, do you really want to quit", figured there was no point in lying so I thought before I answered and said no, I don't want to quit. I then knew what to ask for, I asked for the desire to quit....never took another dip and had zero withdrawal.

That's good advice from RS gave about spending time around those that dont drink...we tend to rub off on one another, for better or worse.

Images
    Sailor

Agreed, not really a hiking issue. This seems like a bigger issue for you than can be reasonably addressed here.

I will tell you 12 Steps Programs DO NOT work for everyone. IF YOU CAN FINALLY get a straight answer from the 12 step programmers you'll be astonished at the dismally low rate at which 12 steppers stay sober in the long term but it's what most people know about and what employers, courts, rehabs, etc expound. If you really want to avoid ALL the crap that can quickly pile up when not sober I STRONGLY URGE YOU to check out Rational Recovery by Jack Trimpey as an alternative to 12 step programs. Rational Recovery takes a raidical about face logical non religious approach to addictions. RR is a tool that has helped many change their lives! If the 12 step program is working for you continue with it. It also has helped people.

Images

I've been clean and sober 31 years, because of 12 Step programs. I was also a therapist for 12 years. Dogwood is right about the miserable success rate of 12 step programs. In fact, while I was counseling, the estimated success rate for all addicts, including those exposed to some sort of recovery program, was said to be 3 percent.

In my experience, the main reason for this is simple - no program works. If you are like many of the people I met in counseling you will go to a program, be it AA or Rational Recovery or some other, and expect it to do something for you and it will not. They do not work, you have to work them. A recovery program is like a car: you can sit in the driver's seat and wait for something to happen or you can turn the key and operate the controls and pay attention to your driving.

I have experience with friends and clients in 12 step programs, RR, other "non-religious" programs and several faith-based programs, some of which also use the 12 steps. Those I have known who succeed are those who do the work. Those who don't, don't.

AA, the original 12 step program, has been the longest lasting, most successful recovery program in the history of the species. With no professionals, it has spread to over 100 countries. And over 100 other 12 Step groups for all kinds of problems have been created. But they are not for everyone and do not claim to be. If you think something else might do it for you, by all means, try it. In AA people say try this for 90 days and if things have not improved, try something else. So whatever you try, give it an honest go. And if one doesn't work, try another.

One thing, there are no membership requirements in 12 Step programs. I've known many athiests in them. If someone wanted to, they could attend RR, 12 step groups and anything else they wanted at the same time.

Best of luck.
    Sailor

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor (The other one) View Post
    I've been clean and sober 31 years, because of 12 Step programs. I was also a therapist for 12 years. Dogwood is right about the miserable success rate of 12 step programs. In fact, while I was counseling, the estimated success rate for all addicts, including those exposed to some sort of recovery program, was said to be 3 percent.

In my experience, the main reason for this is simple - no program works. If you are like many of the people I met in counseling you will go to a program, be it AA or Rational Recovery or some other, and expect it to do something for you and it will not. They do not work, you have to work them. A recovery program is like a car: you can sit in the driver's seat and wait for something to happen or you can turn the key and operate the controls and pay attention to your driving.

I have experience with friends and clients in 12 step programs, RR, other "non-religious" programs and several faith-based programs, some of which also use the 12 steps. Those I have known who succeed are those who do the work. Those who don't, don't.

AA, the original 12 step program, has been the longest lasting, most successful recovery program in the history of the species. With no professionals, it has spread to over 100 countries. And over 100 other 12 Step groups for all kinds of problems have been created. But they are not for everyone and do not claim to be. If you think something else might do it for you, by all means, try it. In AA people say try this for 90 days and if things have not improved, try something else. So whatever you try, give it an honest go. And if one doesn't work, try another.

One thing, there are no membership requirements in 12 Step programs. I've known many athiests in them. If someone wanted to, they could attend RR, 12 step groups and anything else they wanted at the same time.

Best of luck.
    +1 it works, if you work it...so work it, your worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I drink on a daily basis but have no problem going days, weeks, months or years (8 is my record) without it, I can relate to the situation though. I've had every bad habit know to man but the one I just could not kick was Copenhagen snuff, tried to quit after every dip, harder I tried to quit the more adicted I got. Not trying to get religious on you here, just going to state the facts as they happened. I was reading the Bible one day in the den and read the verse that says "ask and it will be given", I'd read that 100's of times before but something happened that time that I can't explain, I understood it in a way I had never before, I knew if I asked it would be granted, I closed the Bible and started to ask but before I could start this voice from within said "Sam, do you really want to quit", figured there was no point in lying so I thought before I answered and said no, I don't want to quit. I then knew what to ask for, I asked for the desire to quit....never took another dip and had zero withdrawal.

That's good advice from RS gave about spending time around those that dont drink...we tend to rub off on one another, for better or worse.
    Thanks. For me its Skoal. Hate the stuff but go nuts without it. Tounge hurts. Teeth hurt. Headaches. Nauseas. Going to try your way.

Images

the recovery rate is low for any program, that said, for those that do go to regular meetings and stay in regular touch with their sponsor, the successful numbers are higher. The problem is that you aren't completely "successful" until you go to your grave haven't had picked up since putting down.

I define success as I didn't take a drink today. I can always drink tomorrow if i choose, but today is the day that i can't drink. Like they say, if you hang around the barber shop long enough, you WILL get a haircut. like it or not, you really MUST cut ties with the old drinking buddies. they don't want to see you sober, so there is very little chance of remaining so if you don't.

Most importantly, you won't be ready, until you are ready. And if your concern is being able to stay sober on the trail (as opposed to EVERYWHERE) you just aren't ready yet.

I wish you success when you are, because for us; ONE DRINK IS TOO MANY, AND A THOUSAND AREN'T ENOUGH.

Very good advice in my opinion. I finally made up my mind that I was going to have to stop hanging around some friends I that I have had for years. Still speak to them and such but I do not spend a lot of time around them. It wasn't easy at first but I eventually made friends that didn't drink or try to get me to drink.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    Thanks. For me its Skoal. Hate the stuff but go nuts without it. Tounge hurts. Teeth hurt. Headaches. Nauseas. Going to try your way.
    I tried the skoal thinking if I could get on something less potent I might could quit, didn't work, a dip of skoal was just like after a meal, made me want some Copenhagen. I hope it works as well for you as it it did me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Very good advice in my opinion. I finally made up my mind that I was going to have to stop hanging around some friends I that I have had for years. Still speak to them and such but I do not spend a lot of time around them. It wasn't easy at first but I eventually made friends that didn't drink or try to get me to drink.
    Same here, now those friends come around but they all know that drinkin is just not part of my life anymore...and they don't push it...but more importantly...I don't feel pushed anymore...and if they do get outta hand, I just call em drunks and we all laugh.

When you finnally "get it" it's not something you want to let go of, life is so much easier without being drunk all the time...you'll have money in your pocket, your health will improve, less hassles in general with life's crap. And the fog clears...you'll be making decisions that used to baffle you...it just comes.

ya know the OP question is how to stay sober on the trail...good question.

I guess if you could find a group that doesn't drink....man that would be a great start..2,000 miles of meetings (so to speak) 24-7 on a thru-hike.

stay in the woods when others go to town for a night of hard partying.

learn to do something with your hands, journal, paint, crochete a camp pillow cover...anything to keep busy.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    the recovery rate is low for any program, that said, for those that do go to regular meetings and stay in regular touch with their sponsor, the successful numbers are higher. The problem is that you aren't completely "successful" until you go to your grave haven't had picked up since putting down.

I define success as I didn't take a drink today. I can always drink tomorrow if i choose, but today is the day that i can't drink. Like they say, if you hang around the barber shop long enough, you WILL get a haircut. like it or not, you really MUST cut ties with the old drinking buddies. they don't want to see you sober, so there is very little chance of remaining so if you don't.

Most importantly, you won't be ready, until you are ready. And if your concern is being able to stay sober on the trail (as opposed to EVERYWHERE) you just aren't ready yet.

I wish you success when you are, because for us; ONE DRINK IS TOO MANY, AND A THOUSAND AREN'T ENOUGH.
    + 1 well said babe...err...i mean RCBear

If you are Christian or Jewish you might look at the Nazarite Vow. No booze, no haircuts, no shaving, no funerals to sum it up. It is a vow you make with God so for me it works. I did it during Lent this past spring. I did it because I had to, I was a drunk. I drink again now, but much less. The 46 days giving it up reset me so I could live normally without it.

drink alcohol or not. simple choice

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1492846
    drink alcohol or not. simple choice
    Thats basically it. If you cant drink, you cant drink. Life goes on.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++