WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blaze Orange

Default Blaze Orange

Too many shots heard too close last fall/winter. I'm thinking of a blaze orange pack cover, preferably in cuben. I've looked and, other than Cabela's, can't even find one. Any ideas as to where else I might look?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I swear that I've seen them for sale at REI, but I can't find a link.

Personally I prefer to wear the orange myself. I have a incredibly bright orange hiking shirt that I picked up at Tractor Supply Company for about $15 As well as the beanie hat, but that's just me.

Alao, don't forget that most hunting accidents happen during spring turkey season, not deer season.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Default Blaze Orange

make one or dye a Cuban fiber pack cover bright orange. may add an oz for the dye but its worth it if you're around heavy hunting areas

"Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Moved this thread/topic to the "General" forum.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

It doesn't need to be Blaze Orange... a $5 synthetic wool cap from Walmart's sports area will be fine.

Iwas about to put zpacks up for you but I see others got it.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/pack_cover.shtml
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I bought two a few years ago.from the outfitters in Damascus. Any outfitter down that way should have them or know where to get them. I think its a mandatory piece of gear that should be worn at all times during hunting season. Should also wear a blaze orange shirt. I also tie orange tape/ribbon to the top of my hiking sticks. Hunters universally appreciate it and it gives me plenty of peace of mind.

While day hiking along the Florida Trail I wear a blaze orange boonie hat, but I'm a geek. I also have a blaze orange vest tied to the back of my pack. I like the idea of a pack cover though. It could offer some weather protection.m62xwan_dyVdw9a-O4cX0wA.jpg

Got mine at REI, and also wear a blaze orange buff in season.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Moved this thread/topic to the "General" forum.
    Is there a "Please God, not again" forum?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    ... I'm thinking of a blaze orange pack cover, preferably in cuben. ... Any ideas as to where else I might look?
    I bought a few yards of blaze orange sil-nylon "seconds" from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and made several. Pretty easy, actually. Now when my family goes with me, we all have plenty of blaze orange to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    While day hiking along the Florida Trail I wear a blaze orange boonie hat, but I'm a geek. ....m62xwan_dyVdw9a-O4cX0wA.jpg
    That's the hat I wear! Saw it on a hiker at a local park and bought it online. Can be seen over a mile away, plus cool and keeps sun off face, ears, and neck. Love it.

RainMan

Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Too many shots heard too close last fall/winter. I'm thinking of a blaze orange pack cover, preferably in cuben. I've looked and, other than Cabela's, can't even find one. Any ideas as to where else I might look?
    Amazon has one.....it's made in China, but only cost me about 5.99 and that included shipping. Also, it's more waterproof and fits my pack better than the REI one. I agree that you should not rely on just a hat....hunters can be a myopic lot.

182.jpg
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-02-2013 at 12:30.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I can see the drawback to relying only on a hat, but isn't there a problem with relying only on a pack cover? The pack cover won't be very visible, if at all, from the front. And I doubt that being shot from the front is any more pleasant than being shot from the sides or rear.

Quote Originally Posted by da fungo View Post
    I can see the drawback to relying only on a hat, but isn't there a problem with relying only on a pack cover? The pack cover won't be very visible, if at all, from the front. And I doubt that being shot from the front is any more pleasant than being shot from the sides or rear.
    You could try this:

Blaze Orange.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by da fungo View Post
    To be effective, blaze coverage has to be 360 degrees, so a vest or shirt along with the pack cover would be safest....and a hat.

Or you can do what Snacktime did for his first hike and color your hair blaze orange.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Cuben fabric is almost transparent, so orange cuben might not be visible enough. If you don't need it for rain protection, you could just tack some blaze orange fabric to the back and sides of the pack and wear orange vest and hat.

I have most of my "extra" items as blaze or neon orange. Including my handmade 550 belt, duck tape on my trekking poles, and my rain jacket.

Images

I use the cheap youth sized hunting vests found in sporting good section of local superstore for a few bucks. Wrap/stap it over the pack, I've done it with and without a pack cover... Hat. Blaze orange bandana on my chest stap, should strap, waistbelt. I hiked through a section of state game lands here in Pa in Nov/Dec. and I will say, I want to be seen and heard. Also used my headlamp worn backwards with the strobe light on. (not sure if that disturbs hunting/hunters)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++