WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    On garment items I really wanted to have the zipper itself replaced --- just so the problem doesn't recur. I.e., with a somewhat more durable overall zipper, you also get a more durable, less-likely-to-cause-problems zipper pull. And one of the garment zippers was made to be a sort of "hidden zipper", really not much there to work on. Sometimes a small increment of weight increase is worth it.

Not sure yet what I'll do with my tent; just haven't used it since I had the time to work on the pulls a bit with pliers (used my Gatewood Cape on the only backpacking I've done thus far this year --- no bugs to speak of yet where I went).
    Jacket zippers (separating zippers) are trickier to repair - It is MUCH harder to replace the zipper pull from the top end of the zipper than the bottom, and with separating zippers you can't really get the zipper pull off the bottom without removing the stop which you can't really do. So yes, on Jackets you have to just replace the zipper - on a bonded zipper/jacket like you are talking about, I would contact the company and see what they have to say about it.

I agree that a heavier weight cuben makes sense for the floor. Much preferred over sil. The repairability, non-slip, and possible weight reduction draw me to the cuben floor. And I always have duct tape nearby!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I've had my LH Solo cuben for over a year. I am currently on an AT thru in CT.

The tent has performed flawlessly.
    Thanks for the field report. And congratulations on your Thru. Keep trekking.

Heartfire,

I am looking for a used cuben solo or maybe a solong 6. Not many out there for sale which is a great testament to your work. If you come across any please send them my way. Thanks.

I tied out the solo today. Very nice tent but I think I would like more vertical space at the head and feet. I fit, but The solong 6 should provide more useable space. Just have to get used to the single wall panels.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mapman View Post
    I tied out the solo today. Very nice tent but I think I would like more vertical space at the head and feet. I fit, but The solong 6 should provide more useable space. Just have to get used to the single wall panels.
    i just ordered the solong 6 last night.

Did you go for the sil or cuben version?

Images

sil-im not cool enough yet for cuben. maybe if they come out with columbien.
    or even cheap mexicen

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mapman View Post
    Heartfire,

I am looking for a used cuben solo or maybe a solong 6. Not many out there for sale which is a great testament to your work. If you come across any please send them my way. Thanks.
    Hey, mapman - LightHeart Gear has a clearance rack: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....=index&cPath=7 . I'm going to save up (I think) and get the SoLong in cuben, as it seems there is little to no condensation. I DO like the SoLong better compared to the Solo.

Good luck.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i just ordered the solong 6 last night.
    You will not regret your decision. Great tent in every way. Every time I set it up on a trip I keep thinking "it has to be harder than this".

It does need a little more of a foot print than some of my other tents, so make sure you have enough space in your tent site.

Someday I might get a cuben, if they are still available, but I hike with kids more often than not, so for now I care more about durability than weight.

The only thing I have done to the tent is add a couple of pull cords to the zippers to make it easier to open and close with gloves on.

Again great tent in every way.

Images

my solong 6 came in the mail today. ooooh!!!new gear!!

cant wait to set it up

Images

My SoLong 6 standard Camouflage is on the way. A rain jacket and pants and a sleeping pad and I am ready for the 2014 AT thru.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++