WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiker injured and airlifted while ascending Mt. Katahdin

I found this today in the local (TX) news, and looked up this article.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Texa...-Katahdin.html

It doesn't give a lot of information, and I'm not sure if he was a thru-hiker or not, but just wanted to post the info to let people know.

He was hiking on the hunt trail, when a large rock became dislodged and struck him, injuring his shoulder and ankle to a degree that he could not hike out.

That was Ned The Fed. Many here knows him. Hope it turns out OK for him.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Ouch! Should hard hats be manitory?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Surprised it wasn't the Cathedral Trail, A hiuker got killed by a falling rock a few years back. Then again Saddle and Abol both have sections where a hiking party upslope can easily let a rock loose and it turns into a missile.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    That was Ned The Fed. Many here knows him. Hope it turns out OK for him.
    I had been reading his hiker journal from time to time. He just started after returning from a hiking trip to Spain...where I belive he had to have an emergency appendectomy. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by marti038 View Post
    I had been reading his hiker journal from time to time. He just started after returning from a hiking trip to Spain...where I belive he had to have an emergency appendectomy. Poor guy can't catch a break.
    He was an '05 thru, was helping a friend start his own thru by doing K and the hundred mile wilderness with him. Tough start. Hope he heals up fully and can get back outdoors.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

yep, we just got back from Spain June 3 and he did have his appendix out while there. But he hiked on after 10 days rest and walked all the way to Finisterra. I just talked to him and he seems to be in good spirits. He was just doing a section, planning to hike south for a couple of months. He was pulling himself up on the big climbs when a rock boulder came lose and hit him on the shoulder... he fell and injured his leg. He tried to head back down, butt sliding, but it was too difficult. Another hiker called for help.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    He was an '05 thru, .
    actually he only hiked about half the AT in 05 (VA north), but did a thru in 08

Is falling rock common on Katahdin? I'm guessing rocks get loosened every winter by the freezing and thawing of water in the cracks?

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by marti038 View Post
    I see what you did there....

Hope he recovers quickly enough!
    -Jason

Images

Wishing him a speedy recovery!

I have it with the load lifters (not really needed when the packweight is 22-23# I guess), & 2 hipbelt pockets.

I have 22# 11 oz in it (3 day food, 2 L water), & have a lot of room left actually at the top, enough for a bear canister actually. I use the Lightheart Solo tent, & an extra pole, Mont Bell UL Super Spiral 30 degree bag.

One thing I'd say about the pack, is the hip belt runs small. So if you are on the cusp of sizes he says it fits, order the larger size, IMHO.

HTH

Opps!!! Wrong thread, sorry (I can't edit a post).

++ New Posts ++