WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Seananigans

Default MSR PocketRocket help.

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I did a quick search but found nothing immediately and with our trip departure closing in I'm running out of options!

I picked up an MSR PocketRocket today after reading great reviews and hearing great things. I fired it up to test it out and it seemed to be working just fine. After about a minute the flame sputtered and died. I tried again with the same result, and now the stove simply won't light at all.

It's brand new other than these test runs! Have I picked up a defective stove or is there some glaringly obvious explanation for this? My experience has only been with the WhisperLite, so push comes to shove that'll be coming on the trip instead. Help!

Well, are you out of gas? If not it sounds like a valve problem or something is in the fuel line.

Journal Entries

Several of my friends as well as myself use a Pocket Rocket and to my knowledge this never happened to any of them. Sounds like it's either defective or somehow became clogged. I suggest you return it for a new one either way.

Images

Sounds more like a problem with the canister not the stove. Either the canister valve is defective or something is keeping the stove from screwing on far enough.

Try a different canister, and make sure it is fully seated.

Seananigans

Thanks for the quick replies!

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Well, are you out of gas? If not it sounds like a valve problem or something is in the fuel line.
    I'm using a brand new MSR IsoPro canister. I'm tempted to test another one? Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor66 View Post
    Several of my friends as well as myself use a Pocket Rocket and to my knowledge this never happened to any of them. Sounds like it's either defective or somehow became clogged. I suggest you return it for a new one either way.
    Sounds like a pain, ugh. Thanks. If I can't figure it out tonight it'll be going back first thing in the morning before we head out.

Images

make sure its screwed in tightly.

Seananigans

Second canister did the same thing: started off strong then sputtered and died shortly after. It's screwed on pretty snugly; I'm hesitant to secure it too tightly given some of the things I've read about the threads getting damaged!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Second canister did the same thing: started off strong then sputtered and died shortly after. It's screwed on pretty snugly; I'm hesitant to secure it too tightly given some of the things I've read about the threads getting damaged!
    if it was screwed on properly the rubber gasket will prevent you from damaging the threads
    take it back to the store, bring your can with you.
    ive used pocket rockets for years with no issues.you may have found the bad apple

yep sounds like it s time to take it back.

Seananigans

Looks that way. Painful. Thanks for the help, guys.

Seananigans

One last thing: removing and re-attaching the stove to the canister seems to alleviate the problem temporarily, allowing the stove to be lit and burn for 30 seconds or so before fizzling out again. I don't know if this information helps at all, but it can't hurt to mention it.

One last thing: removing and re-attaching the stove to the canister seems to alleviate the problem temporarily, allowing the stove to be lit and burn for 30 seconds or so before fizzling out again. I don't know if this information helps at all, but it can't hurt to mention it.
    yep...sounds unreliable though..why take a chance...right?

Images

That sounds exactly like a canister that is not fully seated. Not saying you don't have a stove issue, but the pocket rocket is about as bomb proof as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    That sounds exactly like a canister that is not fully seated. Not saying you don't have a stove issue, but the pocket rocket is about as bomb proof as they come.
    I agree with this...there's not much that go wrong with....needle valve and that's it...one of the reasons they have such a good track record...simplicity.

doesn't take much to check the flow of gas...could be a burr of metal that never got de-burred in the making of it.

Seananigans

SOLVED.

Welp, my frustration got the best of me and against my better judgement I put a little muscle into it on my final test. Did the trick!

Thanks a lot, guys. The first few things I found when searching the interwebz led me to believe that the thing was made of tin foil and any application of pressure would break it. Fear mongers! I've owned numerous (and probably most of my gear is comprised of) MSR products and I've never had the slightest problem so I didn't want to believe there was something wrong. Thanks a ton for your help, everyone.

To anyone who stumbles upon this thread with a similar problem: tighten that bad boy up!

SOLVED.

Welp, my frustration got the best of me and against my better judgement I put a little muscle into it on my final test. Did the trick!

Thanks a lot, guys. The first few things I found when searching the interwebz led me to believe that the thing was made of tin foil and any application of pressure would break it. Fear mongers! I've owned numerous (and probably most of my gear is comprised of) MSR products and I've never had the slightest problem so I didn't want to believe there was something wrong. Thanks a ton for your help, everyone.

To anyone who stumbles upon this thread with a similar problem: tighten that bad boy up!
    Dig it...glad it worked out for you, and saved ya a trip back to the store...enjoy your hike.

++ New Posts ++