WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CF97 > Everything Else.

Default Mid-October start?

Is a southbound hike starting in mid-October too late? I will be taking a 15 degree bag and a good down jacket. I have experience with winter backpacking.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

You should get over the stuff stuff without much of a chance of snow. When I did it in that time frame I did hit some rime ice & had to bail as my partner was getting cold at nights. Maybe in high 20s. Next few days got a foot of snow dumped on us while visiting some friends in Waterbury area. It's a roll of the dice.Picture or Video 5033.jpgPicture or Video 5037.jpg

It can be too late. Or it can be OK.
    Depends on the weather.
    When we started Oct 14 in 2001, we worried until we got to Glencliff.
    Turned out our worries kept us prepared and we had one really bad day of snow in the whites.
    We hiked through it (over Moosilauke that day) and breathed quite a sigh of relief in Glencliff.

If you can get past the whites, your biggest problem will be the long nights.
    I would definitely take a warmer sleeping bag because you'll be spending a lot of time in it. Not always sleeping.

Also remember that many places that normally cater to hikers will be closed.
    But it's do-able (weather permitting)

We finished Feb 14 that year but were van supported.
    Good luck and have fun.
    It's a great time to see the trail, no leaves, no people, often the way it probably was 100 years ago.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

LT Forum Fiddlehead.

Definately a roll of the dice. The problem is ice and the good chance of occasional snow. Just enough to make the trail even more difficult than it normally is, but not enough for traction devices to be of much use. The difficulty of the LT is not to be under estimated. One should be finishing a LT hike in mid October, not starting one.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Definately a roll of the dice. The problem is ice and the good chance of occasional snow. Just enough to make the trail even more difficult than it normally is, but not enough for traction devices to be of much use. The difficulty of the LT is not to be under estimated. One should be finishing a LT hike in mid October, not starting one.
    Agree it's a roll of the dice, but as long as you have a bailout plan, it's a very nice time to be in the woods.

Be aware that is during hunting season. Deer rifle doesn't start until 11/16 (11/9 is youth weekend), but moose, bear, turkey and deer archery all run around that time.
    http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Cal...terange=future

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    If you can get past the whites, your biggest problem will be the long nights.
    Good thing the Long Trail only sits in the Green mountains

The only parts I'd be concerned with would be about the tree line - Camel's Hump and Mansfield.

Otherwise, you should be OK. Outside the mountains, New England doesn't get as cold as Michigan. But take some blaze orange, from mid-Oct to mid-Nov is firearm moose, shotgun turkey, and bear seasons. Deer season and another bear season start in mid November, when the first bear, and the moose and turkey seasons end.

I've thought a winter thru hike of the LT would be neat.

Is a mid October start too late for a south bound through hike of the Long Trail? Unless you are prepared for winter conditions at high elevations then Heck yeah, your starting too late.

You would likely run into full winter conditions on top of Mt Mansfield and Camels Hump. Lower elevations you'd probably be just fine.

What really concerns me here is that you say you want to take a sleeping bag rated to 15 degrees. No good.

At a minimum for a mid October state going from Canada to mass.. plan on a zero degree bag (down is fine). Bring microspikes because you WILL run into ice. I don't think you'd need full crampons or snow shoes.

Again.. the concern here is for conditions at higher elevations (over 3,000 feet and especially over 4,000 feet).

David

CF97 > Everything Else.

A lot of great info. I appreciate the input
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

Where are you starting??? and how far are you going??

The summer issue of the Long Trail News has a story of two people who did a thru at the end of Oct last year. The author was a Long Trail Patrol crew leader.
    More walking, less talking.

I think that potentially, the most dangerous conditions you could face is cold rain. Make sure you have good rain gear and keep a set of dry clothes dry.

a few years ago a friend and I were going to do a short section hike in mid October from Skyline Lodge north. We parked down bottom at a forrest road. 3pm sunny 40 deg. Up at the lodge it was 25 deg and almost a foot of snow. Next morning 15 deg. The trail was quite dangerous. Crusted snow and ice.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Had some great weather (high 50s and sunny), snow, and some temps in the low teens! It was a great hike.

Images

You did it !!!! That smile says it all.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Congrats! Looks like you had a fantastic time!

CF97 > Everything Else.

D'oh! I was out from Oct. 18th - Nov. 6th!

fireneck: good job bud! share a trip report with us here when you can. Love to see some more pics too.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I would not want to go over Mansfield and Camel's Hump when they had ice on them.

Where can I get a pr of 70's running shorts like that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++