WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Just an update, the cause has been determined for the Rim Fire that has burned more than 370 square miles of prime hiking and backcountry area (as well as 111 structures) so far in the Sierras, in and around Yosemite National Park. It was started by a hunter having a campfire in a backcountry area where there is a campfire ban in place at the moment, and it got away from him. Had he been following the rules and using a gas stove, it almost certainly would not have happened. As of today, the fire is the fourth largest in California history and will probably continue to burn for at least another month or so, or until the first good rainstorm of the season.

The bans may be inconvenient and like I said, I enjoy campfires as much as any of us here. But at the moment, there are very good reasons to restrict campfires in some areas

Hey Dogwood, you were right on. I used my alchy stove in Happy Isles and in the Inyo park with out any concerns.
    As I indicated in previous posts (in this thread) the rangers I had contacted assured me that it's use was not an issue.
    And it was not. Used with care, as most alchy users do, it is not nor should it be an issue.

By the way, in on of the convenience stores in the Sequoia National Park the were selling Everclear. That's "shine" with a capital "S" 150-proof.
    Mixed with denatured alcohol it gave me the cleanest and hottest burn. Highly recommend the mixture.
    My posted concerns on the alchy use was due to my over-thinking it. It happens to me when I am preparing for a hike
    in an area that I have not been or have very little knowledge of.

Please do not mix the rim fire and the use of alcohol stoves, they are not connected and should not be connected.
    It confuses rather than offer sound advice. Rim fire in Yosemite was not caused by an alchy stove or any other kind of backpacker's stove.
    Has a backpacker using an alchy stove caused a fire, probably. By definition, all things that burn have the potential to cause a fire.
    The use of canister vs alcohol stoves are based on personal preference as we understand their pros/cons.
    We can make a case for each at nauseam, and it will remain a personal choice.

See you all on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1Greywolf View Post
    Please do not mix the rim fire and the use of alcohol stoves, they are not connected and should not be connected.

It confuses rather than offer sound advice. Rim fire in Yosemite was not caused by an alchy stove or any other kind of backpacker's stove.
    Has a backpacker using an alchy stove caused a fire, probably. By definition, all things that burn have the potential to cause a fire.
    The use of canister vs alcohol stoves are based on personal preference as we understand their pros/cons.
    We can make a case for each at nauseam, and it will remain a personal choice.

See you all on the trail.
    I hope you did not think that I was in any way connecting the Rim Fire and alcohol stoves. I'm an avid alcohol stove user as well, and hopefully I was clear that the Rim Fire was started by someone with an illegal campfire, NOT an alcohol stove. Alcohol stoves can indeed be used safely with some basic common sense and care, as you would need with any stove or other heating source. I believe they are just as safe as canister stoves when used properly, and safer than many white gas stoves IMO. I am in full support of the use of an alcohol stove.

What I am not in support of is the careless use of fire anywhere, especially in high fire danger areas. This is what caused the Rim Fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++