WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I hear ya. I like to think that my #1 reason for hiking is being out in nature but I've come to realize the same point you've mentioned when comparing my backpacking to my birdwatching or wildflower walks. Years ago, I gave up bringing even the small binoculars on backpacking trips because there were too much of a PITA. On my CT thruhike, I was fascinated with the wildflowers but not enough to buy a field guide in the middle of the hike. So I agree that if I really want to go out to observe and study birds, flowers, etc., then I'm really not going to backpack long distances; maybe 1-2 nights just to get to backcountry locations for my observations.

I'm not fast or in great shape so I hesitate to consider anything I do as "athletic," but undeniably, backpacking long distances is first and foremost a physical fitness challenge for me albeit in a much more pleasant venue than pounding city streets.

When I finished the AT by section hiking 700 miles in 2005 scattered all throughout the corridor ("missing pieces"), I met one thruhiker twice - early April in Virginia and mid-June in New York. He had started in February but was taking his time and carried a detailed field guide to plants, trees, flowers, birds and other wildlife. In NY on a mere 3 day section hike, I got way ahead of him because he was studying the natural features as he went along. It's safe to say he was atypical of most thruhikers but he made an impression on me.

Default Another AT thru-hike attempt?

All I can say is HUH

Images

Whether hikers do 40MPD or just 10MPD some hikers seem to only care about their mileage. Increasing numbers of hikers are damaging the trail by not following LNT or traveling in large groups.Trashed shelters,overflowing privies and bad behavior in trail towns is taking away from the AT experience for others........

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What's with ALL the AT thru-hike speed hiking announcements? I've NEVER seen SO MUCH talk about speed hiking and speed hiking attempts with ANY other trail than that which I notice surrounding the AT. It seems like an obsession with so many who just focus in on the AT. I'm going to step on toes with this statement but is it because I notice so many yahoos on the AT?
    It's the "look at me" mentality. I have no interest in anyone's records. If they want to do something special...they should just shut up. That is the hardest thing to do.

Sent from somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++