WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Larger tarps

Default Larger tarps

I got a Clark UltraLight a few weeks ago, and I've decided that I want a larger tarp. I am confident that the origina version will keep me dry with careful set up, but I want something larger for cooking and just hanging out in wet weather. There are so many options that look good that I'm really not sure which way to go. Has anyone used the Clark extra large fly? If so, what do you think of it? What about the various other tarp options? Does anyone have strong opinions pro or con? Are there any Clark owners out there that are using something different?

Thanks,

Bill

I don't have a Clark, but I'm happy with my JRB 8x8 on my HH and homemade Speer. On the diagonal, it's perfect size for a hammock. If you pitch it on the ground, it's big enough to be a little more versatile, but still saves weight over 8x10.

Smile

Hey Chow Hound after you have used the Clark Hammock how bout posting a review of it.I am interested in this Hammock.
    Thanks
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

tideblazer
    Images

Hey, what's up EZ!!!!

I love the size of the Ray Jardine 2-person tarp. With the beaks, I don't want more or less in a tarp.
    I think he opens his e-store again pretty soon....
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Thumbs up Clark with 8 x 10 tarp

I use an 8 x 10 silnylon with my Clark to give extra space when needed. The standard tarp works great for fair weather trips. Here's a picture of the 8 x 10 at work in the snow.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1

Images

Hey Chowhound.

I have a Clark and also have the "xtra large fly".
    I hate the fly. I love the hammock.
    The "xtra large fly" is not very "xtra large" I played around with the fly for a few weeks and came to the opinion that it a waste of time, weight and money.
    I already had a 10x12 silnylon tarp and wouldn't give it up for the world.
    I continue to find different ways to set the tarp and hammock.
    Plenty of living room, cooking room and headroom...I laugh at rain.
    I've modified the hammock quite a bit from original.
    First thing to go was the fly and I don't miss it. Second thing to go was the rope and I am really glad it's gone.
    Set up under a tarp instead of that fly....PRICELESS !!!!!

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind
    ... Second thing to go was the rope and I am really glad it's gone...
    I'm interested in that, I use a hollow braid polypropylene rope with my home made hammock and I'm not sure whether Clark uses hollow braid or twisted strand polypropylene rope. What kind of rope was it, what was the problem and what are you using?

Default Hammock tarps

Thanks everyone for the quick and informative responses. Right now I'm very happy with the Clark as a hammock but as I've mentioned - not thrilled with the fly. I'm leaning toward a standard 8" X 10" tarp as the most versatile option. The JRB 8' X 8' is also attractive but since the tarp on a Clark must be set somewhat higher than on a Hennessey, I wonder if there would be adequate protection on the ends with wind and rain. The MacCat tarp looks great also, but seems to limit your options if you need to go to ground. More comments would be welcome.

Question for SpiritWind - What did you replace the rope on your Clark with? My rope works great, and in the limited use I've given the hammock so far I haven't been able to detect any tree damage. I have been thinking of replacing the rope with 1" or 1 1/2" poly strapping however, just to reduce the chance that I might cause a problem in the future.

Thanks,

Bill

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

One nice thing about an 8' x 8' tarp, if used diagonally, is that the distance from corner to corner is a little over 11'. That's great coverage for a hammock.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

The rope that came with the Clark was a braided poly...about 15' on either side.
    I wanted some more lenght because a few of my favorite spots required additional lenght. I was only able to get one wrap on a tree.
    I went with 1 inch tubular webbing, over 20' per side.
    This might be overkill for some but suits me perfectly. It opens a lot of options and always provides several wraps around even "big" trees. With the webbing I don't tie knots...I wrap a few times around the tree and tuck the trailing end under the last wrap. I put up my tarp first and hang the hammock second.
    10' x 12' tarp makes for a pretty big area of dry, useable space with plenty of headroom. Weight wise I added some but to me it's worth the weight.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Before going toward more ultralite gear, I always carried a 10 x 12 urathane-coated nylon tarp (note trailname - this was before silnylon was invented). I loved the large dry space it provided for things like cooking, setting up a tent (or hammock in your case) during a rainstorm and drying gear after a day of packing in the rain. I had about 25' of parachute cord on the four corners. I replaced it a few years ago with a 10 x 12 silnylon tarp. I carried this on training hikes as an emergency shelter and several NOBO'ers enjoyed some dry space beneath this tarp in early 2003.

I'm recovering from some broken bones and can't carry a pack right now, but needed to test some gear so - we went car camping with only the gear in our backpacks recently. The sky opened up and poured down buckets of water. I had brought a good ol' cheapie 10 x 12 tarp as a liner to keep the cargo area of the SUV from getting nasty. I ended up rigging the tarp and it was a Godsend. This has me considering carrying the 10 x 12 silnylon tarp if I'm ever able to carry a real backpack again. At 22 ozs, it is a bit heavy, but it having the dry space has made the difference between being miserable and being a happy camper enough times for me to seriously consider if it is worth it.
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 07-30-2005 at 07:26. Reason: Realized I was in the hammock section - edited to be PC with hammock riggers

Images

i use a 8 x8 jacks r better tarphttp://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/2

my wife uses a hex silnylon tarp from hennessey hammock
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/2

neo

Images

The 10x12 silnylon tarp with cord might weigh 30 oz. I LOVE it!.
    I don't mind the weight and I carry oodles of cord for all sorts of things.
    Hammock, tarp, webbing and cord put together...I'll have to dig it out today and weigh all of it together to get a total. Compared to most of the tents that I've carried I am still lighter and less bukly which means a smaller pack.
    The tarp to me is priceless....silnylon is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I use a 10'X12' silnylon tarp from Campmor, weighs 19 oz. I hang a HH instead of a Clark. I tie the tarp directly to the trees, the hammock design doesn't matter.

Check out the new tarp from Granite Gear. The color is the only draw back.
    pete

Silnylon comes 60" wide. Two pieces of 8' long pieces sewn together along the 60" sides creates an 8x10 tarp. How much material is needed to create a tarp 8x8 with the seam sewn along the diagonal, ie. c. 11'? Is there an important advantage having the seam along the diagonal? JRB thinks so. A tarp to work both over a hammock and as a conventional ground shelter makes it a versitile piece of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler
    Is there an important advantage having the seam along the diagonal? JRB thinks so.
    Makes it approximate a catenary without the extra effort (read: cost) of actually making a cat cut.

Thanks, Jeff. The information and links at your web page are very helpful. JRB discusses tarps-for-hammocks at his site with the pros and cons of the catenary cut. The cons would not have me try to create the cut for a tarp, but definitley for a tent. I am very tempted, because of the positve feedback I've read here, to purchase the 8x8 from JRB, yet I could sew one for less,(c. $20 vs. $80) but the seam would not be on the diagonal. I already have a homemade 8x10 which works great as a stand-alone tarp, but it has so many tie-outs, lifters and lines it weighs 18 oz. bagged, double the weight of the JRB 8x8.

http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Ar...iles/Tarps.htm

Thanks, Jeff. The information and links at your web page are very helpful. JRB discusses tarps-for-hammocks at his site with the pros and cons of the catenary cut. The cons would not have me try to create the cut for a tarp, but definitley for a tent. I am very tempted, because of the positve feedback I've read here, to purchase the 8x8 from JRB, yet I could sew one for less,(c. $20 vs. $80) but the seam would not be on the diagonal. I already have a homemade 8x10 which works great as a stand-alone tarp, but it has so many tie-outs, lifters and lines it weighs 18 oz. bagged, double the weight of the JRB 8x8.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...90434036CTQScX

The hammock in the photo below was set up in the dark on a steep slope and thickly wooded area in the rain. No place for a tent!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...90434036CTQScX

Because of wind and cold, we hung the tarp low. Two fit in easily in this same 8x10 used over a hammock. Note the skins still used for easy storage and faster set-up.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...8228962KXVCDT#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++