WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters:1499316
    Thru hikers finish all the time there.
    It might be something special to you, its not to them. They see it all day long, every day, for several months out of the year.

Unfriendly? Dont they allow hikers to leave their pack, and give them a daypack to use to access the summit?
    Doesnt sound unfriendly to me at all.

No. They are not unfriendly to thru hikers.
    Possibly, they are unfriendly to people that think they dont have to follow rules, and want to tell them how they should do things differently.

Nor should they make exceptions for someone because they are there to pick someone up, whether they walked 5 miles, or 2185 miles.
    what is it your trying to say?

Journal Entries
    Images

Your problem isn't the way they treat thru's, but that you ( not a thru ) didn't get special treatment. And then when they went out of their way to help you they weren't grateful enough for the vast array of people you brought with you. I was just there to climbK and traverse the 100 MW. There were thru's heading south who could not stay in the shelters set aside for thru's ( even though they were empty ) because they are reserved for NOBOs. And we had to pay $30.00 a night instead of the $10.00 for NOBOs and no one complained. The Rangers were helpful and considerate to and others while I was there. Sorry you and yours were so abused.

My guess, Keith579 is just a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Onedawg View Post
    My guess, Keith579 is just a troll.
    That was my first thought when I saw the post count, then I thought maybe not with the join date.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I think this guy would have only been satisfied if BSP had suspended operations that day and conducted a medals ceremony for the thru hikers. The remoteness of Journeys End at the north end of the Long Trail in Vermont looks pretty good to me after reading about all the drama at Baxter State Park for AT thru hikers.

Images

Default Hm...

He hasn't been back since the first two posts. Probably didn't get the reaction he thought...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dzierzak:1499555
    He hasn't been back since the first two posts. Probably didn't get the reaction he thought...
    that shouldn't stop us criticizing him

The OP is a troll, he only has 2 posts before this one, besides, in his opening statement he says "screw the rules". The guy is that "guy" who doesn't follow the rules "gee, why do we have rules" then gets pissed when they are enforced against him. He's the kind of guy that mows his lawn at 7:00am on a Sunday morning-jag off.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

do you always get in such a snit when you dont get your way?

Quote Originally Posted by Edro View Post
    do you always get in such a snit when you dont get your way?
    who is that directed at?

Images

While this is a relatively recent thread, yall do notice that the OP hasn't been back to WB since this thread was started, right? Sometimes I'm all for a good grenade throwing competition, but it is no fun when the target has ducked out.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    While this is a relatively recent thread, yall do notice that the OP hasn't been back to WB since this thread was started, right? Sometimes I'm all for a good grenade throwing competition, but it is no fun when the target has ducked out.
    Hey Tuck.. I'm not too proud of running off WB members, myself. I think that's just the way the internet works though.. it's taken me a year to figure this thing out.

I am not going to read all of this thread. I do not like to give the negative that much time. I will speak of my experience in Baxter.

I found all of the personal to be friendly. They all seemed to like their jobs. All of them seemed concerned for my well being. All of them are constrained by rules that were not put in place by them. Hate the rules if you like, but not the people who enforce them.

I went into the rangers station at KSC and saw a huge pile of day packs. I asked if this was lost and found. They said it was for thru hikers that did not want to carry their heavy packs on the final leg.

In general, the trail contains happier and kinder people than the "real" world. I find those that help and provide services (add Shaw's and Lakeshore staff to that group) to hikers to even be a cut above the hikers. They are good people that should be defended.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I agree. There is a current grenade thrower posting on threads that I am hoping will disappear soon. Whiteblaze offers great information. Some people just like to knock down things built by others just to see the reaction.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    who is that directed at?
    Sorry, I should have quoted this to the Author of this thread.

I hate to pile on but I don't see where Baxter was unfriendly toward thru-hikers. Because the Lean-to at Birches had gravel and the privy was smelly?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Hey Tuck.. I'm not too proud of running off WB members, myself. I think that's just the way the internet works though.. it's taken me a year to figure this thing out.
    That's too funny. What did you do run them off with kindness?
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I have thru-hiked the A.T three times and the Rangers at Baxter has always been Curtious and helpful to me, they treat Thru-hikers as they would a day hiker or a every day visiter and thats the way it should be, I think this is just another example of the ENTITLED thru-hiker syndrom taking place.

Journal Entries

ok, it seems Keith 579 had a tough time of it at Baxter......
    It also seems like someone needs to take Keith behind the 'tool shed' and give him a good kickin!
    You spoilt little boy, grow up and go wet your pants somewhere else
    Your son is probably ashamed of you, whiny ol' fart!
    I believe a spanking is in order!
    Then a generous donation and apology tp the rangers that really do put up with a lot of s-it from self-entitled folk like Mr. Keith here....
    Keith, you only get to make the rules in your own park, not Baxter!
    Congratulations to your son, by the way
    he's probably heading south along the same trail by now, enjoying the fresh air and the trail instead of listening to his Dad whine all the way back home! ha!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    If the rules at BSP are too onerous to follow, then go SOBO and finish at Springer. No rules there.
    That's how we do things in Georgia...
    You and your family are welcome anytime...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++