WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I read Whiteblaze threads, then go slam my head against a tree. Repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    I read Whiteblaze threads, then go slam my head against a tree. Repeatedly.
    Your letting it get to ya.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I see how far I can walk without touching the ground(dirt) by only stepping on rocks and roots.

I also give animals such as deer, turkey, bear, etc. names. This makes writing about them in my journal more interesting...Last week I saw Barry just North of the Scales. I hadnt seen him in over 2 years.

You guys have covered most of mine :P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nar Nar View Post
    When I hike, for some reason I always grab little ferns and leaves that are well within reach as I pass them and then let go of them and do it all over again.
    Although this seems to happen more when I'm in a city - just reaching out for contact with something green and growing.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I sometimes apologize out loud to trees for stepping on their exposed roots.
    And to the wildlife for scaring it.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefarm View Post
    [I] rarely like to take my pack off during the day except for lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Sometimes I speak respectfully to the spirits that inhabit certain prominent boulders.
    and trees, and wildlife.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Although it may not really be silly or pointless, I like to use pine needles and grass stems as dental floss while hiking. Spruce needles are my favorite.

I've been known to stop, hug a tree, and talk to it kindly. Sometimes they talk back! Did you know trees can have a sense of humor and are often well mannered?

I'll also see how far I can hike by just stepping on rocks. It improves my footwork which is really helpful when peakbagging. Around the Peaks of Otter I walked atop the wooden guard rail for more than 2 miles(without falling off). I look at long distance hiking as one long obstacle course that i"m in training for to prepare me for the Zombie Apocalypse.

I'll ask permission from and give respect to the Alii(gone on Hawaiian royalty) and Amakua(gone on revered Hawaiian Ancestors) when hiking in Hawaii.
    I'll do something similar when at historical homesteads, ceneteries, etc in other areas where I've hiked. No need to pick unwarranted fights with good spirits.

Oh, I also pick my nose while hiking. Wait, I do that when I'm not hiking too. I have to end my therapy session now. The doctor is here.

Sometimes I find this pointless and silly. You've heard of being drawn into the town vortex while on hikes. Well, lately, I've been letting myself get drawn into the WB vortex while on hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I've been known to stop, hug a tree, and talk to it kindly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn8YubD01sk

Do you also talk to empty chairs?

Never heard Clint sing. I now understand why. He's OK at it(marginally) but nothing to brag about. The trees weren't answering because it seems he was really desiring human companionship. Clint should know that tress and humans are not the same.

A tree is a living thing. Chairs are inanimate objects. Although one might talk to a chair as if it's a person, and hopefully resolve issues, if involved in psychological transference techniques. I guess it's similar to Tom Hank's "Wilson" in the movie Castaway.

I always have a song or jingle of some sort stuck in my head. Sometimes it gets really bad. The worst is when I go backpacking after the kids have had the disney channel or nickelodeon on the tele for a while. It makes me a very upset person *twitchtwitctwittwitwt*

Pity me and my tribulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nar Nar View Post
    When I hike, for some reason I always grab little ferns and leaves that are well within reach as I pass them and then let go of them and do it all over again. I have no idea why, and when I try to stop myself I just end up doing it again after I forget to stop. Does anyone else have little silly habits like this that they do when hiking?
    Make sure they are ferns and not stinging nettles
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Images

Used to try and touch every white blaze I saw on the Trail.

Tried to leave on the same path I took going off Trail. Going to a shelter for lunch, overlooks, bathroom breaks, etc. Didn't want to miss a foot of the Trail. BUT: if the Trail splits to go around a rock or tree, which is the proper path?!?!?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    When the sun it just right, I kick my shadow in the nuts!
    You should explore that with a professional as that could be a sign of being a transgendered individual. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Didn't want to miss a foot of the Trail. BUT: if the Trail splits to go around a rock or tree, which is the proper path?!?!?
    You should completely circle the rock or tree to be certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    ... the Trail splits to go around a rock or tree, which is the proper path?!?!?
    Tecnically you are require to go either up and over the tree or burn or chop it down with your knife. This is called "green blazing".

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    When the sun it just right, I kick my shadow in the nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You should explore that with a professional as that could be a sign of being a transgendered individual. Good luck with that.
    BEST original post and follow up post combination I've read in quite a while! We have a Pryor/Wilder, Laurel/Hardy, Lewis/Martin in the making.

I always have a song or jingle of some sort stuck in my head.

It's "Rain in the Summertime" by The Alarm or "Singin in the Rain" by Gene Kelly when, DUH, it's raining, "Alive and Kicking" by Simple Minds when I reach the top of a summit or saddle, and when on cruise control it's Bob Seeger's "Traveln Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I always have a song or jingle of some sort stuck in my head.

It's "Rain in the Summertime" by The Alarm or "Singin in the Rain" by Gene Kelly when, DUH, it's raining, "Alive and Kicking" by Simple Minds when I reach the top of a summit or saddle, and when on cruise control it's Bob Seeger's "Traveln Man"
    As I'm leaving camp each morning I normally sing a few verses of Willy Nelson's "On The Road Again"....to the displeasure of those that can hear me singing.

I always step over a depression in the trail, never in it, as I dont want to add an inch to the elevation gain.

Got that Willie Nelson song as well as "Highway Man" on my hiking MP3 play list. I feel so old school even mentioning mp3 players anymore in this "gotta have the latest electronics" mentality era but they certainly serve my purposes. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++