WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lodging in Hanover NH; Suggestions?

Be arriving there in 4 days. Any recommendations? Awol's guide shows meager suggestions.

Images

AWOL lists the hiker friendly motels. One option is to take care of your town chores and call Tigger's Treehouse. They pickup and take you to their place in Etna. Reservations a few days in advance will guarantee you a spot.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

We stayed at the Residence Inn. It isn't right in Hanover, but we had a car to get to the trail. There is a nice Whole Foods Co op adjacent to it for food supply.

Images

Residence Inn on Google shows $179 a night. I will also be in this area soon but not looking to buy the place, just spend a night. Checked Tigger's Treehouse but no drive-ins allowed. Any other cheaper options? Living on retirement.

$60 will get you a room in the Super 8 in White River Junction, VT (across the river from Lebanon, about 5 miles due south of where the AT hits the roads in Norwich, VT)
    $100 will get you into the Days Inn in Lebanon, NH, about 6 miles down NH-120 from where the AT leaves the road in Hanover.

That's just the Hotels.com results, not anything interesting (I've got a job interview in Norwich in a few days, so I've been looking )

I recommend the Sunset Motor Inn...It's roughly 2miles south of Hanover on Main St. When I hit Hanover on my thru-hike I had some wicked tendonitis and took a few days off here. The rooms are clean, they offer a free continental breakfast, and the family that runs it is super nice to hikers. They let me do free laundry and they will also shuttle you back to town when you leave (if you don't have a car). There's a bus system that runs in Hanover Mon-Fri (I think). I wanna say it was around $60 a night, I can't remember...but, no regrets in staying there. Hitching to and from town is hit or miss...there's quite the yuppy college scene, so sometimes I would get picked up in a flash, and other times I walked the 2 miles back to the hotel (drunk and having to pee!!)...lol

The Sunset is served by the free Advance Transit bus on the Orange Route Mon-Fri from 6:25 am through 5:40 pm. There's a stop on the north bound and southbound side, just tell the driver you want to get off. Although not shown on the schedule, the Sunset stops would be between the West Leb and Hanover Inn stops when northbound, and between the Bookstore and West Leb stops when southbound.

Another possibility is the Chieftain Motor Inn, just north of Town on Route 10/Lyme Rd. Probably around the same price point as the Sunset, and served by free Advance Transit on the Brown route from 6:47 am until 5:50 pm, M-F, and is a 1/4 mile walk from the Kendal stop.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Chieftain Motor Inn was quite hiker friendly back in 2010. The bus stop was down the rd but does not run on weekends. The all wood rooms were nice. I spent two days there.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Bug View Post
    Residence Inn on Google shows $179 a night. I will also be in this area soon but not looking to buy the place, just spend a night. Checked Tigger's Treehouse but no drive-ins allowed. Any other cheaper options? Living on retirement.
    Honestly it was not that much when we stayed there and, really, sarcasm is not necessary. I was responding to your question, which had no monetary limits. Gum

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

There is a long list of trail angels that will put you up. You will probably see it as you hike into town. If not get it from the colleges outdoor club.

I stayed at the Sunset in 2011 for $65. I took the bus to get there from Hanover and also rode it back to town in the morning...it stopped near the motel at 6:45 am. The Sunset offered a free continental breakfast, but they didn't start serving until 8:00 am and I didn't want to hang around that long. I did my laundry there and I seem to recall there was no charge. There are no near-by restaurants but I ordered and pizza and enjoyed that with a couple of beers I brought with me from Hanover. I enjoyed my stay at the Sunset.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Hotel Coolidge in White River Junction has a hostel wing. Take the free Orange line bus (we caught it in front of the book store in Hanover).

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I got a room at the Hanover Inn for 2 nights at $100 per night. Best $200+tax I spent on the AT I think....

It doesn't hurt to call - hotel room pricing is probably one of the most negotiable things on the planet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Honestly it was not that much when we stayed there and, really, sarcasm is not necessary. I was responding to your question, which had no monetary limits. Gum
    Sorry Gum I just noticed your reply. Was not meant as sarcasm. Just most hikers don't have that kind of money to spend the night. Thanks though for responding.

Just wanted to chime in not to expect to resupply at the "Mountain Goat". It is out of business. I think there is an EMS down the road, hitch-hiking distance! Have fun!

I was just planning a hike starting in Hanover as well and noticed a nice little guide for hikers from the Hanover Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.hanoverchamber.org/elbo/a...NAL5.28.13.pdf

Still not many economical lodging choices, but you it has some good info.

I plan on flying into Boston Friday 8/16 and arriving in time for the last Dartmouth Coach bus from Logan Airport to Hanover. This will get me into Hanover around midnight. I'm just looking for a simple place to stay the night and start hiking the next morning after picking up a canister of cooking fuel (I'm assuming I can't fly with it).

So the local bus lines will not be running when I get into town. I guess I can stay right in town (expensive) or get a taxi to someplace a little further (somewhat cheaper). Anyone have feedback on the taxi services listed in the guide?

Ideally, I would like lodging near a place to buy a canister of gas in the morning, any suggestions?

I just ordered Awol's guide so I should have that in a few days and I can dig around with Google maps, but I would appreciate any thoughts.

Hanover True Value (right on South Street a few doors down from the former Mountain Goat store) sells various camp stove fuels. They open at 9am on Saturdays. EMS is an easy walk from some less expensive hotel choices in West Lebanon, (Baymont Inn & Suites, Fireside Inn) but the free bus service is not available on weekends so you have a 5 mile walk/hitch back up Route 10 to town. Big Yellow Taxi will pick you up if you call ahead - don't expect to hail a cab from the curb.

Go to the library in Hanover, they have a list of Trail Angels - I stayed with a lady with the last name Brokaw - it was a great stay - very nice house, she's as kind as they come, I actually left my debit card there and she helped me get it back.

Basically, lodging in Hanover is a huge waste of money, use the trail angels - not a great trail town.

-friday, sobo 2013

Images

The 1st time NOBO from Hanover due to Hurricane Irene, stayed at the cheaper hotel down the road.

Last time coming from VT, stayed at the fancy hotel on main street, hiker rate like $169................rolled in at sunset, said the heck with it, end of my section hike, this is the life and road that I love, work REALLY hard at work so I can splurge sometimes.

To me Hanover, Dartmouth, being a hiker is a really fun parallel. You can just feel the snobbery there.............not judging, just my sense of the local vibe.

Walking into a local Hanover bar with my pack after 12 days on the trail, beer, shot, pizza..............priceless.

Journal Entries

Black Recreation Center maintains a list of trail angels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++