WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha_Ace View Post
    Ok. Shelter reservations are going to open for my dates (8/31 - 9/2) in a couple of days. My hiking partner and I are starting at Clingman and going south towards Fontana.

8/31 we will likely start at 2 pm and it looks like Siler's Bald is a good target for the short day (4.6 miles)

For day 2, I was thinking Spence Field, which is 14.7 miles from Siler's Bald.

There doesn't look to be a shelter between Mollie's Ridge and Fontana, which would make day 3 a 16 miler? Is that a pretty easy hike or is it a lot to bite off in one day? I'd hate to have to only go the 5.4 miles from Spence to Mollie and call it a day, but without knowing the terrain I don't want to bite way too much off, or if I'd be missing some great sidetracks by trying to kide too much in one jump.

Now, our "support car" will be meeting us at Fontana Dam to restock our food and swap out some gear. Once we cross the dam and are out of the park, are we free to camp anywhere along the trail?

It looks like south of the park we would get to Stecoah Gap on Hwy 143, which, if we DID say at Mollie's and did the 10.6 to Fontana on day 4 (9/4/2013) - we would have the option of being picked up again on the highway and dropped anywhere for a short dayhike. My plane leaves from ATL at 8pm on 9/5, so I'd need time to drive back to Atlanta, stopping somewhere at a cheap motel to shower and change into airplane clothes (aka - 'doesn't smell like a wild animal') and have plenty of time to check in and board. Thoughts / suggestions?
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...13-to-9-5-2013

Double Post - See other post for my answers.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    ...My main advise is to collect as much water and consume it when you can cause I have gotten caught twice in smokies witha shortage of water.
    Rain has been pretty plentify this year. Any established watering holes should be plenty wet (unless the rain suddenly stops for the entire month of August).

Omaha,
    you are looking at a 4-5 hr drive from Fontana/Robinsville area to the ATL airport. Atlanta traffic is Horrific during rush hour, which usually starts around 3-3:30 each week day.

There is a shower at the Fontana Dam Shelter and at the NOC basecamp dining hall that are free. There are several small hotels in each of the towns as you drive back toward Atlanta (either through Franklin NC, or Blue Ridge GA). dont know if they would let you shower for a reasonable rate (less than full night stay).
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

The ***NEW*** plan lol...

8/31 - 9 AM-ish landingin ATL. Drive up to the park. Clingman to Derrick's knob - 9.7M

9/1 Derrick Knob to Russell Field 9.2M

9/2 Russell Field to Fontana Dam - 13.8 DOWNHILL miles to meet our driver, a shower, fresh clothes and food!!!

9/3 Fontana to Brown Fork Gap shelter 10.7 miles

9/4 Brown Fork to 2-3 miles south of Sasafrass Shelter - Sasafrass is 9.1 miles, so let's call this stage 12M

9/5/13 From camp to Hwy 19/74 - about 3 miles left, after a quick breakfast and hike we should meet our driver on the highway by 11 am or so - find a quick shower and get into clean clothes and haul booty back to Atlanta.

Total on-trail milage - around 58. Awesome. Bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Rain has been pretty plentify this year. Any established watering holes should be plenty wet (unless the rain suddenly stops for the entire month of August).
    I only carried a 24 oz Smartwater bottle last year and had no problems except going from the NOC to Sassafras, was in the 80's, sunny, not a breeze, the water was gone in 30 minutes, and it's all up hill, that little waterfall about half way up was a real blessing, dont believe I could have made it without it. I would always drink as much as possible at each water source and fill my bottle and try to drink the bottle empty just before the next water source.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I only carried a 24 oz Smartwater bottle last year and had no problems except going from the NOC to Sassafras, was in the 80's, sunny, not a breeze, the water was gone in 30 minutes, and it's all up hill, that little waterfall about half way up was a real blessing, dont believe I could have made it without it. I would always drink as much as possible at each water source and fill my bottle and try to drink the bottle empty just before the next water source.
    I'm planning on having my 2L hydration bag plus a one liter pepsi bottle with a Sawyer filter, which I feel should give me plenty of capacity if I refill as I go.

Images

Backcountry Permit is completed - 8/31 at Derrick Knob and 9/1 at Russel Field. Then onward south out of the park!

Thanks for the help and advice everyone! Now it's just a few more weeks of working out and getting my gear laid out and I'll be off on my adventure. I'll try to post from the trail if I get any service and will post pictures when I get back to civilization. This community has been great and I look forward to following along for years to come!

Very informative thread. I'm hiking from Clingmans to the dam on 8/30 thru 9/1. Staying at Derrick's Knob and Mollie's Ridge. First time hiking the Smoky's and these threads have been a goldmine of information. Thanks. Omaha_Ace, I'll keep the light on for you at Derrick Knob Shelter. Have a great hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Very informative thread. I'm hiking from Clingmans to the dam on 8/30 thru 9/1. Staying at Derrick's Knob and Mollie's Ridge. First time hiking the Smoky's and these threads have been a goldmine of information. Thanks. Omaha_Ace, I'll keep the light on for you at Derrick Knob Shelter. Have a great hike.
    Rock on, brother!!! You enjoy yours as well!

I'm planning on having my 2L hydration bag plus a one liter pepsi bottle with a Sawyer filter, which I feel should give me plenty of capacity if I refill as I go.
    Take something to scoop water into your Sawyer bag. Some of the water sources are shallow and it's difficult filling up the bag. Msg me if you have any problems, I live pretty close.

I did also have a 2L Platypus I used for camp but never needed to carry water in it on the trail. The post suggesting to carry a scoop is a good idea, dont remember needed it in the section you're hiking but they're nice to have when needed. This is what I used, had a hole in the cap and fine mesh screen to filter out sediment, put your finger over the hole and scoop, remove finger and let water run into container.

2012_12140001.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post
    Take something to scoop water into your Sawyer bag. Some of the water sources are shallow and it's difficult filling up the bag. Msg me if you have any problems, I live pretty close.
    Hydration bag is a Camelback bag - I don't trust the Sawyer bags alone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I did also have a 2L Platypus I used for camp but never needed to carry water in it on the trail. The post suggesting to carry a scoop is a good idea, dont remember needed it in the section you're hiking but they're nice to have when needed. This is what I used, had a hole in the cap and fine mesh screen to filter out sediment, put your finger over the hole and scoop, remove finger and let water run into container.

2012_12140001.jpg
    This is clever - I've done something similar using 0000 steel wool - I used to keep it as emergency tinder in my bag.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There doesn't look to be a shelter between Mollie's Ridge and Fontana, which would make day 3 a 16 miler?
    There's campsite #113 about 5 miles shy of the dam. It used to contain a shelter, but it was converted to a tent site around a decade ago. It's the only tent camping sight along the AT through GSMNP.

Where are you getting your mileage from? I'm planning a hike that includes Mollies' Ridge to Fontana, but I'm only coming up with a distance of 10 to 12 miles (just to the dam).

Default GSMNP - Aug 31 - Sep 5

Be a trail ninja thru the GSMNP.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++