WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    With the massive heat wave this week, do folks expect the trail to firm up any or will it still be primarily muck? Looks pretty dry all week but roasting hot. Perhaps that could bake out some of the moisture.
    Nope, takes more then a few sunny days to do that. The soils are super saturated and water will be perculating out of the ground for some time. Anyway, more rain and T storms are going to arrive next week. The weekend might be good, but it's still to early to tell for sure...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    p.s. one tip to clean muddy shoes is to wear them while fording the streams (safely - don't ford a stream you're not confident in your abilities in just to clean your shoes, of course ).
    You should always wear shoes fording streams. You might want to take your socks off first though if it's deep.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You should always wear shoes fording streams. You might want to take your socks off first though if it's deep.
    Good point. You never know what's on the bottom of the riverbed. I was trout fishing and more than once caught a snag under the water that I just couldn't get undone. Knowing that I had a couple of hooks under the water made me sure to wear my shoes while wading. After all, I certainly wasn't the first to fish that section of the creek. Plus there's always the risk of metal cans or broken glass, etc.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

I use my insoles inside dirty socks for fords. Keeps boots dry & washes the socks out.hiking 193.jpg

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    I use my insoles inside dirty socks for fords. Keeps boots dry & washes the socks out.hiking 193.jpg
    That's a puddle, not a ford!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I was thinking August, myself- normally a good safe bet- This year from all I've heard here and other places- waiting won't do anyone any good. I'd be interested to hear otherwise- but it seems like you might not be clear of the mud until September this season. Regarding the fords- you guys could also just wear tennis shoes- then you don't have to trash your $15 a pair socks. Or just give it up- your boots are going to get soaked, might as well get a wash-off in every once in a while.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    That's a puddle, not a ford!
    Damn cold puddle! Snow melt fed. Not bad after your legs go numb. Only problem is the stinging returns when they warm up.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    Damn cold puddle! Snow melt fed. Not bad after your legs go numb. Only problem is the stinging returns when they warm up.
    Oh yeah. I've done some snowmelt in Montana and that is a whole different experience. Perfectly hot sunny day and then, bam, walking through an ice chest. +1 on the stinging.

Weather is looking solid for the next week, at least as far as precipitation is concerned. I know it won't make much difference in the muck but at least it might go from black bean soup to chocolate puddin to peanut butter fudge. Will be on the trail this Saturday. Looks like we'll need our ponchos that day.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++