WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Additionally, alcohol is going to dehydrate you. . . one other small problem to consider.
    No problem just drink more

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    If a couple of drops of alcohol will purify water....there's nothing living in my body.
    I agree. How on earth am I alive??? I'm a zombie!!!!

Sent from somewhere.

Thanks for the answers (most of them, anyway). The message is clear that alcohol won't kill viruses. My thought was that if I used grain alcohol as fuel for my stove, I could perhaps also use it to clean and disinfect wounds, and to add to water to fight viri. That would have been a beautiful triple-play. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitino View Post
    My thought was that if I used grain alcohol as fuel for my stove, I could perhaps also use it to clean and disinfect wounds, and to add to water to fight viri. That would have been a beautiful triple-play.
    Using it (not methyl!) to clean wounds would be appropriate, as in alcohol prep pads, but you don't need or want 90-100%, 70-75% would probably be about right, so then you'd have the issue of how to keep the mixing water sterile, or you'd have to keep a separate small bottle of 70/30, which wouldn't do well as stove fuel.

As for a third use, if you can work the cleaner out, I like grain alcohol mixed with apple cider. I think they make a powdered cider, so there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    It's at least high enough that you should be drinking it out of a shot glass.
    I'm sold! Pure grain it is. Can I get a titanium shot glass?

Quote Originally Posted by dhagan View Post
    I'm sold! Pure grain it is. Can I get a titanium shot glass?
    OMG a Ti shotglass does exist for the ultralight boozehounder hikers out there.

http://toaksoutdoor.com/titaniumshotglass.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium...ium+shot+glass

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation One thing to know

> My thought was that if I used grain alcohol as fuel for my stove,
    > I could perhaps also use it to clean and disinfect wounds

Alcohol is no longer recommended for cleaning anything but minor wounds. Yes, it does an excellent job of killing all kinds of micro-organisms, but the damage alcohol does to exposed flesh more than negates this positive.
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/w...-dos-and-donts

For most hikers, the best procedure is to thoroughly wash out the wound with soap and disinfected water, then rinse and dry, and finally to apply a triple-action antibacterial cream. In an emergency, you can wash with untreated water as long as you finish with a rinse of clean water.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 10-23-2014 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    > My thought was that if I used grain alcohol as fuel for my stove,
    > I could perhaps also use it to clean and disinfect wounds

Alcohol is no longer recommended for cleaning anything but minor wounds. Yes, it does an excellent job of killing all kinds of micro-organisms, but the damage alcohol does to exposed flesh more than negates this positive.
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/w...-dos-and-donts

For most hikers, the best procedure is to thoroughly wash out the wound with soap and disinfected water, then rinse and dry, and finally to apply a triple-action antibacterial cream. In an emergency, you can wash with untreated water as long as you finish with a rinse of clean water.
    That's why it should be taken internally....

Grapefruit seed extract is taken by mouth for bacterial, viral, and fungal infections including yeast infections - WEB MD. I know people who travel out of the country extensively that swear by the anti bacterial and anti viral uses of it.

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Where are you hiking Africa. You would be hard pressed to find Hep-B in an American Mountain Stream
    Hep B isn't easily caught via water, its a blood borne pathogen and typically is transferred via exposure to body fluids. It can survive outside the host for about 7 days in dried blood or other fluids. Hep A is transmittable via food and water and can be found all over North America, in both well water and streams. Though its not common to find, rare in fact at about 2000 cases per year in the US. Causes can be as simple as minor flooding from rains can push human sewage from poorly run septic systems into the ground water and contaminate a surprisingly large area including streams. Its a small virus, under .01 microns, so most filters will miss it, disinfection or boiling is best. Though a rarity, there are a few people every year that get this by drinking untreated water, so its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOne View Post
    OMG a Ti shotglass does exist for the ultralight boozehounder hikers out there.

http://toaksoutdoor.com/titaniumshotglass.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium...ium+shot+glass
    No honey, really this is the new Aqua mira...it's called Agave Mira.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++