WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default thoughts and questions after getting off the trail after 1400+ miles

My daughter “Sassafras” and I started a northbound A.T. thru hike attempted 3/21/13. We made it to Fort Montgomery NY on 7/2/13. At that time we took 3 days off due to a foot infection that Sassafras has in both her feet. We attempted to hike on 3 days later and she felt terrible. I knew she needed more time off and have her feet heal up. We went home and saw her Doctor. She needed to be off her feet for at least 2 weeks with antibiotics and foot soaks. At that time we decided that her hike was over. We would not have been able to be back at a reasonable time to start school and just as important she felt she was done. She was ready to be home. She is such a level headed kid, she is proud of what she accomplished and still talks of being a triple crowner some day but has no desire to continue this year.

I tried to get back on the trail and continue the hike but it did not feel right without my daughter. I wanted to be home with my family. Now I am trying to get back to work as soon as possible. The trip was expensive. We took more zero's than I had imagined due to the wet/cold weather and the desire to warm up and dry out our gear. I believe Sassafras's feet would have not got as bad if her feet were not soaked for days at a time.

I don’t considerate my self a deep thinker, but I am now trying to get my mind around the last 4 months and what to make of it. I do not know if or when I could attempt another thru hike, I know that it could not be with my daughter, she is such a strong hiker we would need to hike different hikes. I also wounder what to think about a 2/3 thru hike and what that means. I know I as very blessed to have been able to try this and to spend 4 months on the trail with my daughter, I just with it was more enjoyable for her.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Kaboose

Images

you got to hike 4 months with your daughter. you are blessed. how many dads can make that claim. don't complicate it. celebrate it.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    you got to hike 4 months with your daughter. you are blessed. how many dads can make that claim. don't complicate it. celebrate it.
    That's the way to look at it! I think you will both look back fondly on your hike for the rest of your lives. That's a good thing.

There are a lot of ingredients that go into a quality life, but a major ingredient is health. You two, for all intents and purposes, have completed the trail, at least with respect to physical fitness. Don't lose that, like so many do, don't become one of those chubby hikers at a hiker reunion. Take up running, cycling, whatever, because healthy body as you age is key to quality life.

If you maintain your fitness there will be many more enjoyable days left hiking with your daughter, made more enjoyable by your improved health.

1- You are a lucky enough father, that you have a child who was willing to spend 4 months with her dad. 2- You are even further blessed that this time was spent hiking 3-you just hiked 2/3rds of the greatest backpacking trail on the planet with someone you love 4-you are a fantastic father 5-you have a daughter smart enough to hike, and wise enough to stop 6- the trail will be there next summer too 7-One in four hikes fail, but you haven't failed- you just had to take a long break! See you next summer!

Images

Hey kaboose I first met you and sassafras at Springer Mountain. you have something wonderful to celebrate. I can't tell you how many times running into you and sassafras simply made my day. to see her beautiful smile and the love you shared was just incredible. there is a lot of love both on and off the trail as well as up and down the trail for you and your daughter. so many have followed your journey. it was a privilege to hike with you. hope to run into you again someday. best of luck with your transition off trail. I'm still digging catholes

my first day on the trail

my last day on the trail

Last edited by hikerboy57; 07-14-2013 at 18:58.

You hiked 1400 miles. Off the trail, how many people have you ever met that can say that? Even fewer kids can say that. I made it 850 miles, and 11 years later I can tell you that people are every bit as amazed at someone saying they walked 850 miles as they are with someone claiming to have walked the whole trail.

It's no lie when I say you have the best of the trail left. With less than 800 miles to go you could probably finish in two months, partially this summer, next summer and/or the year after.

Quote Originally Posted by mainebob View Post
    My daughter “Sassafras” and I started a northbound A.T. thru hike attempted 3/21/13. We made it to Fort Montgomery NY on 7/2/13. At that time we took 3 days off due to a foot infection that Sassafras has in both her feet. We attempted to hike on 3 days later and she felt terrible. I knew she needed more time off and have her feet heal up. We went home and saw her Doctor. She needed to be off her feet for at least 2 weeks with antibiotics and foot soaks. At that time we decided that her hike was over. We would not have been able to be back at a reasonable time to start school and just as important she felt she was done. She was ready to be home. She is such a level headed kid, she is proud of what she accomplished and still talks of being a triple crowner some day but has no desire to continue this year.

I tried to get back on the trail and continue the hike but it did not feel right without my daughter. I wanted to be home with my family. Now I am trying to get back to work as soon as possible. The trip was expensive. We took more zero's than I had imagined due to the wet/cold weather and the desire to warm up and dry out our gear. I believe Sassafras's feet would have not got as bad if her feet were not soaked for days at a time.

I don’t considerate my self a deep thinker, but I am now trying to get my mind around the last 4 months and what to make of it. I do not know if or when I could attempt another thru hike, I know that it could not be with my daughter, she is such a strong hiker we would need to hike different hikes. I also wounder what to think about a 2/3 thru hike and what that means. I know I as very blessed to have been able to try this and to spend 4 months on the trail with my daughter, I just with it was more enjoyable for her.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Kaboose
    I think you already have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    There are a lot of ingredients that go into a quality life, but a major ingredient is health. You two, for all intents and purposes, have completed the trail, at least with respect to physical fitness. Don't lose that, like so many do, don't become one of those chubby hikers at a hiker reunion. Take up running, cycling, whatever, because healthy body as you age is key to quality life.

If you maintain your fitness there will be many more enjoyable days left hiking with your daughter, made more enjoyable by your improved health.
    And this ^....health is everything, no doubt about it, if you don't have it...you got nothin!

I too met you up on Springer the day you started and you story is and will forever be a classic. It was a total pleasure to follow along. I think you two will hike together many more times.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Stop thinking. You are the envy of dads everywhere.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Perhaps you don't realize how big a deal this is to those who have not accomplished such a thing. Four months with an older child is such a gift. Yes, they love you into adulthood, but that is not the same as the day to day contact and closeness you inevitably lose with their adulthood. You will likely never have such an opportunity again, and should cherish it....as I'm sure you do. Did you complete the trail....who cares? You may or may not ever complete it...may or may not repeat the attempt at a thru-hike. It is ultimately unimportant. You have your daughter, and the best of the memories will survive long after superficial regrets have faded. Such a lucky dad.

The trail is not the journey....only the pathway.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 07-14-2013 at 16:28.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by jesse:1501575
    Stop thinking. You are the envy of dads everywhere.
    Yes he is.

Images

To note an old cliché "Its not the destination its the journey" I would give anything to have 5 more minutes with my Dad (RIP) so as said above just celebrate the time you had its not a failure to not reach Kathdyn so don't look at it that way.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times running into you and sassafras simply made my day. to see her beautiful smile and the love you shared was just incredible.
    And it all comes through on the you-tube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mainebob6363/videos

Thank you all for the kind replies. The support and feedback is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    INDEED, words of Wisdom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Watching you and your daughter hike was a blessing to me.I have three children with a daughter similar in age to yours,and it is a joy to get them on the trail whenever possible.You are truly blessed for those four months and I thank you for sharing your adventure with us.I would have loved to see the videos from my native Pennsylvania,but what you gave us was tremendous.I hope your daughter heals quickly.Thanks again.

I'm jealous to be honest. I only get to hike with my boys for one full week a year and several long weekends. My suggestion would be to stop thinking of it as a failed through hike and start thinking about the wonderful section hike you just completed. Finish the trail WITH HER one day.
    I ain't totin that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++