WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 32nd Annual ALDHA Gathering Oct. 11-13

The summer edition of the Long Distance Hiker is out. It has a number of good articles from Trail Days, Warrior Hike, Hardcore, etc. and info about the fall Gathering October 11-13, 2013.

1017696_10201493530044641_1262041487_n.jpg

The Long Distance Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    hope i get one in the mail....
    Larry, if you haven't received the paper edition via snail mail, you should any day now.

By the way, if anyone here on Whiteblaze wants to do a presentation or workshop at the Gathering, you can fill out the form in the link and Chuck Norris or Kip Redick will get back to you

http://form.jotformpro.com/form/21774749676976

Also, if you have any gear, trail books, or trails you'd like to promote at the Hiker Fair during the Gathering, you can use this form.

http://form.jotformpro.com/form/31416912093955

Lastly, if you'd like to preregister you can do so here. Please note all meals in the college cafeteria need to be prepaid, either in advance online, or at the check-in desk.

https://secure.jotform.com/form/10562609918

lw.jpg

Wow, no interest in the Gathering here? Internet trolls get hundreds of posts. Amazing for a hiking site.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    lw.jpg

Wow, no interest in the Gathering here? Internet trolls get hundreds of posts. Amazing for a hiking site.
    I'm interested. Have to check the calendar. I think my ALDHA membership lapsed. It gets confusing with the ATC, PATC and other annual dues. Ach. I'll figure it out...
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I'm interested. Have to check the calendar. I think my ALDHA membership lapsed. It gets confusing with the ATC, PATC and other annual dues. Ach. I'll figure it out...
    With your White Mountain trip report there's no doubt you're an actual hiker!

Since I'm the membership secretary I have first hand knowledge and there's no "FarmerChef" currently on the roster. You don't have to be a member to attend but if you wait until the Gathering to renew, or join, you'll get the rest of this year and all of next.

There aren't many organizations still left you can join for only $10.

A partial list of of the trails, workshops and presentations which will be held at the Gathering.

AT
    PCT
    CDT
    Long Trail
    Florida Trail
    GSMNP
    Tuscarora Trail
    Great Eastern Trail
    Colorado Trail
    Glacier NP
    Denali NP
    Camino de Santiago
    Mt Roraima
    Cordilera Blanca
    Te Ararora

Ultralight Backpacking
    Lyme Disease
    1st Aid
    Wildflowers
    Backcountry Cooking
    Bear Bagging

Embrace the Brutality
    Flip, Flop, Flippin'
    The Climb to Katahdin
    Tell It To The Mountain
    Filmmakers Workshop

Link

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

lw.jpg

Wow back. I love that photo. Thanks, Sly.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Wow back. I love that photo. Thanks, Sly.
    Yeah, it's a good 'un.

The other day I was trying to figure out the relative wisdom of ALDHA members in trail miles. Just on the AT alone, there's over 1.2 million miles of trail experience (560 2000-milers), and that doesn't count members with multiple AT hikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Sly:1524722
    lw.jpg

Interested in many things. Trail Days and the gathering are both in no vacation months. Sometimes it's life that interferes with stuff. I've got three weeks of vacation and normally work 6 days per week so it is about priorities with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Interested in many things. Trail Days and the gathering are both in no vacation months. Sometimes it's life that interferes with stuff. I've got three weeks of vacation and normally work 6 days per week so it is about priorities with time.
    Yup, priorities for sure. At least you took the time to post!

I'm planning to attend. Hoping to do a little hiking pre/post Gathering in Maryland/PA. Will there be a work trip?

Particularly interested in presentation on Camino de Santiago.
    Trillium

Hey all, I have something kind of neat I'm doing for my presentation at ALDHA and I would like to include some - or all - of you, if you have a First day photo and a End day Photo of your AT/PCT/CDT etc...hike and are interested in being in a nice little portion of pre-talk DVD I'm putting together, let me know VIA PM or email me the photos:

Email with your trail name and the dates of the photos to
    [email protected]

Bring up how one can contribute back to hiking such as doing trail work and much of the same thing happens yet talk about gear, what defines a thru-hike, a speed record, etc and they come from near and far to post opinion after opinion.

I'm going to try to make it there Sly. THX for the updates. Hope to see you in Shippensburg.

I'll see if I can dig up some at the start and at the end of the hike photos Lion King.

I'll do a few presentations at ALDHA someday. Love hiking, hikers, and introducing people to hiking.

Default ALDHA Gathering updates are in the fall issue of The Long Distance Hiker newsletter

The fall issue of the ALDHA newsletter is now available for download as a PDF from http://www.aldha.org/newsletter.html

It has 4 pages of updates and information about the Gathering, which is less than a month away.

The ALDHA website has also been updated, and the Online Ride Board has been activated, so start putting out the word on whether you need a rider or a ride to the Gathering by sending an email to [email protected].

See you in Shippensburg,
    Bill O'Brien
    newsletter editor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Sly, Can you put me in contact with who's doing the Tuscarora Trail presentation. I'm planning on hiking it and the section of the AT that connects to it on either end in October. Want to see if I set up my hike so I can make it to the Gathering during the hike.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Sly, Can you put me in contact with who's doing the Tuscarora Trail presentation. I'm planning on hiking it and the section of the AT that connects to it on either end in October. Want to see if I set up my hike so I can make it to the Gathering during the hike.
    Hey Handlebar, Rush Williamson. If you have the membership directory, he's listed.

Images

Cool, Sly. I'll check out the directory for his contact info.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++