Default Hello from Germany

Hey, my name is Silke, I am a 49 year old woman from Germany and will hike the AT next year in June for about three weeks - with a dog. I am looking for a female hiking partner! I am a beginner in hiking and looking for my very own challenge, a dream I am dreaming since I first watched a documentation about the AT. I am facing alot of life changes in the next years and already went through difficult times. Where do I find a middle aged female hiking partner who would like to go with me?

Images

Good luck with your hike. You may want to post on the "Hooking up" forum that you are looking for a partner. Be sure to put what section of the AT you are planning to hike as that may make a difference to perspective partners. People hiking sections usually are looking for a part they have not completed yet. Be aware there are parts of the AT that will not allow a dog so consider that when you decide where you plan to hike. With it being almost a year away people may not know their plans yet so don't get discouraged if you don't get a quick response. Repost as the time gets closer if you haven't found someone. The trail has lots of hikers so don't be afraid of being alone, It's doubtful you'll end up hiking alone for long. Good luck.

Section Hiker

Hi, Silke, welcome! What section are you planning to hike? Like Kizzybean suggested, more details and a post in "Hooking Up" might be a good idea too. I plan to be on the trail in GA next June.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Thank you very much for your nice answers! Because I am flying in from Atlanta, I am planning to hike from the Springer Mountain, its the beginning of the AT in the South , right? You see, I am totally new in everything, thats why I try to get as much information as I can, as early as I can. I feel a little naive still...lol....
    its interesting to hear dogs are not allowed everywhere, I didnt know that. I am already posting at the dog section, so will hopefully get all needed information there. I am also thinking about my request for a partner now ... Maybe I should really start on my own and see what will happen? Thank you so much for your warm welcome again, really appreciate it!

If I am starting in GA, will I have to climb big mountains during a three week hike? I mean, mountains which are a real challenge for a not experienced hiker? I will not be able to train any mountain climbing over here and to be honest, it scares me to think about it. I am more the cross country forest type of hiker, no climbing person...

El Sordo
    Images

our mountains aren't high, but they can be steep nonetheless. You could hike as far as Fontana before regulations concerning dogs would be an issue. problems with dogs are another matter. keep in mind that Georgia termperatures can be quite variable in June. lows approaching 0 centigrade and highs around 32C.
    Dyslexics Untie!

And how far is Fontana in miles? I will keep the temperatures in mnd of course. Do you think May would be a better time when it comes to unexpected weathers or very low or high temperatures?

Images

Fontana is right at 165 miles (275 km) from Springer Mtn.

Thank you, I dont think I will hike that far, so I should not get a problem with dog prohibited areas then.

Section Hiker

I hiked some in GA in June and the weather was good: not too hot, not too cold. Bugs were not a problem. You can expect rain at some point especially during a long hike, you just need to be prepared for that with gear and mentally. In Ohio where I live I have no way to train for the mountains, but I am reasonably fit and didn't have a problem with the terrain. You just have to take it slow, try to keep your pack weight down. Know when to stop for the day, even if you didn't get where you wanted to for the night. You can learn a lot here on WhiteBlaze, but also by reading books and looking at guides and maps. I suggest: "Awol on the Appalachian Trail" by David Miller, "The AT Guide" also by David Miller, and for accommodations in Georgia and shuttle service: The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, which is fairly close to Springer Mountain. I also suggest books about hikers who took their dogs, such as "The Things You Find on the Appalachian Trail" by Kevin Runolfson. If you follow through with your plans to hike that area in June, let me know closer to your trip. I plan to be hiking in the area then.

I was going to add, even if you go by yourself there should be plenty of people around especially in the evenings at the shelters. Hikers on the AT are generally very friendly and helpful. Last month we passed many nice people on the trail and made friends quickly at the shelter.

"

Given a choice between May and June I would choose May as it should not be as hot.

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Given a choice between May and June I would choose May as it should not be as hot.
    I almost said that too, and that there would be even more people around then too. Who knows whether that is a plus or a minus.

"

Maybe I am going from midst May to midst of June. @Sibirdnerd, I definitely keep you updated, would be awesome to meet you!

I am already reading whatever I can get, fortunately I can read all english lecture and dont need to look for german books. There will still be alot of questions, but I am doing my best to prepare myself as good as I can from here.

++ New Posts ++