WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Neck Knife-Anyone see this business?

I saw someone with a neck knife last year and can't remember what brand it was, but he said they were at trail days. I was wondering if anyone has any idea. Always clipping mine to my pack and not having it when I need it.... Thanks!

Occassionaly I wear my CRKT Minimalist
    Let me go

Neck knives are not about a specific brand. Some knives(several different brands including Swiss Army knives) have a split ring or metal loop you could just attach a neck lanyard to.

Many 3" and smaller blades can be configured as a neck knife.
    Cody Lundin (from Dual Survivor) wears a Mora that way, as does Mors Kochanski.

As Dogwood mentioned, there are lots of knives that are suitable for this, some are purpose-made for it as well.

Make sure it has a break-away or at least is very loose around your neck. I hate things around my neck - even tight collars, so it's not a carry method that works for me, but it's good to always have a blade handy.

Images

I have been using this for awhile. i don't always carry a necker, but this one has proven to hold a good edge, has a solid kydex sheath that gives a hearty 'snap' when you replace the knife. very heavy duty blade. close to .25 inch in with. makes a nice feather stick. i wrapped the skeleton handle in 550 paracord

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-BK14-Be...ds=becker+bk14

This isn't what you're looking for, but I just wanted to share anyways. It could probably be used as a necker. I've been searching for a lighter-weight, but decent fixed blade knife for camping and emergency kit. It also contains a firestarter which is nice. The only downside is it's not full tang. http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/...:Specification

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    This isn't what you're looking for, but I just wanted to share anyways. It could probably be used as a necker. I've been searching for a lighter-weight, but decent fixed blade knife for camping and emergency kit. It also contains a firestarter which is nice. The only downside is it's not full tang. http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/...:Specification
    I have to be honest. the Mora and other swedish Mora style knives, in my opinion are the absolute best value on the market. sharp as a razor, hold it for a long time, extremely light weight and even though not full tang, they have great balance and can easily be rigged as a neck knife. Cody Lundin has been using them exclusively for 20 years and can handle most necessary bushcrafting processing tasks with it. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. i have this one and can't say enough about it. i always keep one in my pack. it's usually all i carry but do sometimes have a small pen knife or neck knife as well if i am going to be out multi days.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2309404...Types&var=sbar

Images

i carry this one BUCK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

As mentioned, nearly any decent knife has a spot to attach a lanyard- once your dream knife (or shoe box full as is often the case) is obtained I use 1/8" tent pole shock cord to make a necklace. Because it's stretchy I can use it for quick tasks without removing it, I don't loose it. The shockcord trick is also great for Compass, Lighter, and other little necessities that get used during the day. I sewed a d-ring into my hip belt with a mini-biner so I can attach those items. That way I never loose them, but always have them in easy reach.

Journal Entries

I must be doing something wrong, Ive never needed a knife, much less a knife necklace so its always handy.

No. You're right. There is hardly a need for a knife...but it's cool to have it sometimes.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2
    Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I must be doing something wrong, Ive never needed a knife, much less a knife necklace so its always handy.
    Yes. You are. You are doing something extremely wrong. Very very wrong. Now please...stop by your local outfitter or walmart tomorrow and pick yourself up a knife. I would go straight for the 9" Bowie. You wont even feel it in your pack!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Yes. You are. You are doing something extremely wrong. Very very wrong. Now please...stop by your local outfitter or walmart tomorrow and pick yourself up a knife. I would go straight for the 9" Bowie. You wont even feel it in your pack!

That kind of knife is to be worn on belt and strapped to your leg, insuring there is always room for you in the shelter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    That kind of knife is to be worn on belt and strapped to your leg, insuring there is always room for you in the shelter.
    It most likely would be a guarantee, in light of the story of Justin and his kin on one of the other threads

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    It most likely would be a guarantee, in light of the story of Justin and his kin on one of the other threads

And its smaller and lighter than carrying a tent.

I like the idea of a neck knife in theory, but I HATE having that weight (even though it's not much, I know) dangling from my neck. Drives me crazy.

I like that Mora you posted, thanks! I noticed it's carbon steel vs stainless, not sure what the risk/benefit is with that, I'll have to research it a bit...For the responses that you don't need a knife, yah, for most of the time, that's correct. I was carrying a 3oz leatherman for my thru and only used it 2-3times in 2200 miles. I was looking at the Light my Fire 'cause it weighs about 3oz and is a fixed blade with a fire starter. I'm more interested in setting up an emergency kit/bug-out bag kind of thing. I'm not a crazy prepper or anything, but the government has been doing some really weird stuff lately, and after thru-hiking I've realized how poor many of us are in terms of self-reliance and survival without the normal societal luxuries (running water, supermarket, vehicles, homes, etc.). I've decided to make it a point to learn and practice survival skills...

Thanks for all of the input guys. Yeah, I was under the assumption it was one particular brand but amazon has so many haha. Thanks for the info though, some good places to start. On my thru-turned-section-hike (800 miles) I only used my knife for cheese and the occasional zombie. Not much, but when you need it you need it, and I wouldn't want to not bring a little 2 or 3 inch guy for the sake of weight.

Images

Here is the most complete collection of the neck knives I have seen on internet. It is just fun to browse :

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...Knives&b=neck&

Journal Entries
    Images

I sell neck knives and they are a hot item at Trail Day's. My best sellers are the CRKT Dogfish http://www.crkt.com/Dogfish
    and the Buck Smidgen http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUCK-USA-MAD...item43bdaf374c

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++