WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Amtrak and backpacks

I am considering taking the train to Burlington and/or from Pittsfield to do my LT thru. After reading their luggage policy I am wondering if a pocket knife and my hiking poles will be a problem. Some stretches have no checked baggage, so I don't know if that has any bearing on the issue. Anyone had any experience with Amtrak?
    More walking, less talking.

Yep....3 of us in full pack with hiking sticks and such....no problem 004.jpg
    strictly carry ons, no checked bags
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Poles aren't on the prohibited list. As for your pocket knife, per the rules it is a no-no for carry on. However, you don't go thru TSA security getting on a train like airports so if you leave it in your bag and don't give any reason for someone to search your bag. (e.g. acting violent or threatening) you should be fine.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Default Amtrak and backpacks

My son and I carried our packs all over Amtrak, Union Station, 30th Street Station and the Metro. No one said a word

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I can't recall ever having a problem with my pocketknife on amtrak or any other train.

Last time I checked, fuel canisters and flammable liquids were prohibited, so I had to leave my jetboil canister in a hiker box before hopping on Amtrak.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Thumbs down

Enjoy the freedom we experience on trains "today"> HLS & TSA want to spread their wings and control trains as they now do Airports!! Know what that means: No this, no that, body searches, etc., etc! Just like in the ole USSR. Oh! There is even ongoing discussions about arming TSA folks! Can you imagine
    Last edited by Cherokee Bill; 07-16-2013 at 18:52.
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Just stay off the trains south of DC.....whole different world there, and freedom is seriously curtailed.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Just stay off the trains south of DC.....whole different world there, and freedom is seriously curtailed.
    How so? I'm only familiar with the ones north of Pennsylvania.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I've taken Amtrak south of DC (nyc to dc, nyc to staunton, and lynchburg to nyc) and no one ever checked my pack. I had the hiking poles shortened and in the pack pockets, a little pocket knife in my pocket (imagine that), and I kept the pack in front of me. No problem whatsoever. I didn't find my "freedom" curtailed in the least.

Assigned seating....inability to get up and go from car to car just to stretch your legs...inability to change seats in favor of window, aisle, etc.....not allowed to rest possessions or self on adjacent seat even though there's no one occupying it....

ridiculous stuff I can't imagine passengers familiar with Amtrak in the north would ever tolerate....(I certainly couldn't)

This is not just a one-time bad experience....it's every time I've ridden on Amtrak south of DC.

I did leave my car to get something to eat, and no one challenged me. As for your other points, I did have an assigned seat and stayed in it. The trains were usually fairly full, so there wasn't much opportunity to change seats or move my stuff. Not that I really wanted to.

Enjoy the freedom we experience on trains "today"

Yup. Shouldn't be a problem if placed inside carry ons although in some of the largest most strategic train stations wouldn't be surprised to start seeing more Xray machines/metal detecting wands and more bag searches. Totally off topic but I'm beginning to wonder how much all this security actually deters those involved in possible criminal and terroristic activity yet may serve some other purposes involving law abiding citizens? Might think about that angle?

I have taken Amtrak all over including to GA twice, no problem walking back and forth to snack car. On a trip to Glacier, in Montana , I was taken aside in Chicago, to a side room , wher I was ask to place my pack on a table.
    A Amtrak police man rubbed all outside of my pack with a plastic strip. He then stuck it in a hand held device. The screen read PASS, he smiled at me, " enjoy your trip sir". Apparently if it read FAIL, I would have had a bomb in my pack. They were searching for explosive residue .

Images

Have never had a problem, placed my tee shirt from last hike in a zip loc bag, stored it for 6 months, it was REALLY ripe when I left for my next hike.......had seats by myself for the whole trip, nobody even looked at me.

Love Amtrak...........

Journal Entries
    Images

I have been south and north on the trains from Philadelphia and had no issues...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++