WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Can i do a 4 week section hike from Springer Mt. in thru November?

Hello,

I'm looking to do a section hike late this fall, and am curious about people's opinions about how late in the year i can comfortably do that?

My concerns:
    - Weather? (don't really want to hike in snow)
    - Other hikers i'd encounter? (Will the trail still have a lot of traffic that late in the season?)
    - The overnight: (Will it be so cold at nights that it would make in between hiking a pain in the a**?)

Any input will be appreciated. I would love to go this fall, but work obligations won't allow for that.

Thanks you!

Images

Yes you can, yes there will be some stray SoBo thru hikers and yes it could get could at night (or not). Absolutely no reason not to do it. The views will be great, temperatures likely moderate.

Default Can i do a 4 week section hike from Springer Mt. in thru November?

You can not predict weather in the mountains, can't even try. Maybe 90 to -20.

Sure you can do it, if your prepared. Not knowing your level of experiance makes it impossible to say for sure. None, little or a lot?

The main problem is the days are getting short, so the chances are good you'll not be going far in a day - just shelter to shelter for the most part. It also means you'll be using a head lamp a lot to set up camp, cook and maybe even hike by.

Snow? If there is any, it will be short lived in Nov. You will likely have frequent freezing temps at night, so that means frozen boots and water bottles that you'd have to learn to deal with.

Other hikers? My guess is enough to not feel alone, but not so many as to be a problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

November is typically mild in GA. Cold is better than violent thunderstorms that are associated with summer. I don't recall ever having snow in GA in November.

Images

November is a great time to section hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    November is typically mild in GA. Cold is better than violent thunderstorms that are associated with summer. I don't recall ever having snow in GA in November.
    Pit will snow in November. I stayed in a cabin miles away from springer over thanksgiving and there was a few inches of snow. But it will go away and shouldn't slow someone down. There is also a chance of snow in the smokies, look what happened a couple of years ago. This incident was avoidable and rare but it would be wise to pay attention to the weather

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/240...s-been-rescued

Journal Entries

I wouldnt worry about snow.

I would worry about 35F and rain.

I would rather snow by a larger margin.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-16-2013 at 21:35.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

I did it in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Sure you can do it, if your prepared. Not knowing your level of experiance makes it impossible to say for sure. None, little or a lot?

The main problem is the days are getting short, so the chances are good you'll not be going far in a day - just shelter to shelter for the most part. It also means you'll be using a head lamp a lot to set up camp, cook and maybe even hike by.

Snow? If there is any, it will be short lived in Nov. You will likely have frequent freezing temps at night, so that means frozen boots and water bottles that you'd have to learn to deal with.

Other hikers? My guess is enough to not feel alone, but not so many as to be a problem.
    Over 10 hours of daylight gives you the opportunity for 20+ mile days. Like some others have said November rain can certainly suck.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Over 10 hours of daylight gives you the opportunity for 20+ mile days. Like some others have said November rain can certainly suck.
    With Daylight savings in effect and it getting dark at about 6 PM on a good day, it sure doesn't seem like you got 10 hours!

It's not so much the short days, but the long dark nights. How long can a person lay in his or her sleeping bag?

With Daylight savings in effect and it getting dark at about 6 PM on a good day, it sure doesn't seem like you got 10 hours!
    http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/Georgia.asp I always use this site before planning hikes.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/Georgia.asp I always use this site before planning hikes.
    I wasn't off by much, sunset 5:30 PM or so and sunrise 7:00 AM or so. That leaves 7-8 hours of actual hiking depeding on how efficent you are in getting going in the morning.

I tend to get a bit of a late start in the fall (got to wait for the sun to warm things up a bit first) so I often end up hiking the last few miles in the dark.

Images

I wasn't off by much, sunset 5:30 PM or so and sunrise 7:00 AM or so. That leaves 7-8 hours of actual hiking depeding on how efficent you are in getting going in the morning. .
    Not sure how you hike, but I think this is a tad conservative. The tables for sunrise/sunset I see show nearly 11 hours from sunrise to sunset at the beginning ov November, slightly less than 10 at the end. Plus useable "twilight" light extends a half hour on both ends. Allowing an hour of useable light on both ends of the day, this makes still makes for a soilid 10 hours of hiking in early November, shortening to 9 at the end. I'm personally watching this thread because I plan on sectioning from Lynchburg VA to Harpers the last week of October and 1st week+ of November.

++ New Posts ++