WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Wink What are your favorite sidetrails you took or places visited off of the AT by State

What are your favorite sidetrails you took or places visited off of the AT please list these by State...... I haven't hiked very much of the AT but for MD I would have to say Cunningham Falls State Park. There is a 77' cascading waterfall with a giant rock hill they also have a mini zoo and a Lake beach with sand..... near the halfway point of Maryland, Its about 4 miles heading east off of MD-77 Foxville Rd. And if you can get a ride into the town Thurmont heading east on MD-77 go to Mountain Gate Restaurant (all you can eat buffet really good food best fried chicken ever)
    Green One Each

Dragons Tooth is short and well worth the side trail one of my favorites!

Here is a few that I recommend in the southern states where I have hiked so far: GA: Long Creek Falls, NC: Standing Indian overlook, Siler Bald summit, Wesser Fire Tower, TN: Shuckstack Fire Tower, Clingmans Dome Lookout, Charlie's Bunion, Mt Cammerrer Tower, Rich Mtn Tower, High Rocks view, Grassy Ridge summit, Overmountain Shelter.

The one that comes to mind for me off the top of my head is Hawksbill Mountain in Shenandoah National Park, which can be done as either an out-and-back from the AT via the Salamander Trail or (horrors!) by bypassing a bit of the AT by taking the Salamander up and the Lower Hawksbill Trail down (or the reverse for a SOBO) to rejoin the AT. The out and back is fine and I've done that. But if short on time it's pretty silly (IMO) to skip the summit rather than taking the alternate.

This is just one example ... one of the things I feel pretty strongly about is that I will always opt to see interesting landmarks even if that means taking an alternate. I've reconciled in my mind the acceptability of the "continuous path of footprints" rule on a hike vs. purity to the white blazes. I use this approach on my section hikes and have on thru hikes of other trails, and will when I eventually thru hike the AT.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gry View Post
    Dragons Tooth is short and well worth the side trail one of my favorites!
    Not exactly a side trail, but I lost the real trail coming down from Dragon's Tooth!
    Followed a break down the hillside and ended up at the bottom on a road after crossing someone's farm and avoiding their inquisitive bull!
    Spent a magical night up at Dragon's Tooth, woke up looking out from my campsite at an incredible view above the clouds! Truly special. The picture dominated my Facebook page for many months ....

The loop consisting of Falling Waters Trail, Franconia Ridge, and the Bridle Path Trail is a classic. Terrific views of the entire ridge from The Bridle Path Trail. It's about eight or nine miles round trip, 3600' elevation gain from trailhead to Lafayette summit. I've done it a few dozen times over the years. Never gets old.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

West Mountain shelter in New York. Awesome view. (Alas, the nearest water is some distance away. You can't have everything.) Visit some of the Harriman iron mines and ghost towns, too, if you're interested in archaeology.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

One to skip: High Rock MD, a short side trail from the AT with views but car accessible and graffiti covered.

I am surprised Washington DC didn't get more selections here. For more than one reason.. 1.it's our nation's capital 2. Prop 71 passed last year where people can Give you free marijuana.. But don't smoke it or buy it... That'll get you arrested

Some good short blue blaze side-trails in the Northern portion I found worth the extra time and effort.

ME: - Gulf Hagas
    - Mt. Abraham summit (though at over a mile it is stretching the short criteria, but it is a great above treeline jaunt)
    - Sugerloaf Mt. summit

NH: - The Southern & Northern Presidential Peaks the AT bypasses (Mt. Eisenhower, Mt. Franklin, Mt. Pierce, Mt. Monroe, Mt. Adams, Mt. Clay are some I recall the white blazes wove among but didn't summit; these peaks have great views not to miss (unless clouded-in with driving rain). You have to reconciled with being a blue blazer to take advantage of this alternate routing though.
    - Mt. Liberty summit

VT: - Killington Mt. summit.

NY: - West Mtn. shelter and summit

VA: - Hawkbill Mt. summit
    - Stoney Man summit

Journal Entries

Another vote for the Grassy Ridge Trail, a little north of Carver's Gap, especially in the June rhododendron bloom. Stunning!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If you want a long one, the Mohawk trail in CT is a 26? Mile section of former A.T. that connects in two places. In my opinion it's the better piece of trail than the new section that replaced it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...wk-loop-advice

http://mohawktrailct.org/home.html
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

My favorite side trail is the .5 mile blue blaze, on the AT in Mass., that leads to the cabin on beautiful Upper Goose Pond. It's a two story cabin that is for the use of long distance A T hikers. It offers a rustic cabin on a beautiful pond. Great swimming and the use of a canoe. The cabin has a bunk room with bunks with mattresses and is
    staffed by volunteer caretakers who may provide overnight guests with a pancake breakfast.
    Grampie-N->2001

Mt. Cammerer (sp.?) fire tower is worth the detour if the weather is good.

Crabtree falls - the tallest vertical falling waterfall east of the Miss. - 1200' in 5 cascades - is a nice alternative to the AT, if there has been rain. I combined it with the Mauhar to get back to the AT.

Upper Goose Pond is definitely worth the visit.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Cade's Cove is accessible by foot from the AT, and its amazing.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus2016 View Post
    I am surprised Washington DC didn't get more selections here.
    Sitting on the capitol lawn with a dirty backpack and smelling like a DC bum was a highlight of my hike.

Images

Spy Rock in VA, leave your pack at the bottom worth the climb to the top!

Paraquary copper mine trail

I really enjoyed hiking up Old Rag in Shenandoah NP.

I think on the right day, most side trails have their moments at the spectacle of their end.

Although it is flat terrain, I really enjoyed the pinnacle and other side trails in PA

IMG_0712.jpg
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++