WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Suggestions - 2-3 Day hike in Shenandoah NP or Harpers Ferry

In a few weeks I will be visiting family in Alexandria, VA. I would like to take my adult son on a 2-3 day hike on AT in Shenandoah NP or Harpers Ferry. Prefer to use a shuttle service or I can do a loop. Thinking 10-15 mi per day. I've hiked all of AT in GA several times but have never hiked in VA. Both experienced looking to spend time together hiking and enjoying beauty of outdoors. Any suggestions?

The appeal of SNP is the trail is A LOT easier to hike and there are multiple places to get food and drinks. Plus a much higher chance of seeing a bear or five. I would look at where the Way Stations are located and pick pretty much anywhere that works around those places. As I recall the only real tough part was Thornton Gap but it's been about 6 years since I went thru there.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I hiked the northern district of the park from Thornton Gap to Front Royal in two days (~16 miles per day). That same trip could be done in three days with lower miles per day or you could include a side trip down Jeremy's Run. There are also some great places to hike in the Central district. I'm not familiar with the South District yet.

My trip report on the northern district in April:

http://www.ramblinghiker.com/?p=196

Shenandoah National Park trip suggestions from NPS site:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisi...trip_plans.htm

There's pretty much an endless list of possibilities. In my opinion, some of the side trails in Shenandoah are more interesting than the AT which sticks pretty close to civilization and tends to have lots of traffic.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Thanks for quick responses. I checked out NPS website and your trip report RamblingHiker. Great info!!

Default Harper's Ferry to Greenbrier State Park MD.

My brother and I are doing from greenbrier state park to Harper's ferry sobo about 20 miles. In 2-3 days as it is his first trip and it is going to be almost a 100 this week and the terrain is pretty "level" with only one "real" elevation change. Either way enjoy yours.

Quote Originally Posted by kerosenehat View Post
    My brother and I are doing from greenbrier state park to Harper's ferry sobo about 20 miles. In 2-3 days as it is his first trip and it is going to be almost a 100 this week and the terrain is pretty "level" with only one "real" elevation change. Either way enjoy yours.
    That sounds like a good hike also. I like the idea of ending the hike at HF. No way to avoid the heat this time of year. I'm ok hiking in heat & humidity as long as it cools down to a somewhat comfortable level at night. I stop hiking in Florida after May as it just doesn't cool down enough at night to sleep comfortably. Have a great trip

SNP- with the waysides as bases is a pleasant hike as mentioned. One other possibility- contact the hostels in Harpers and consider the 4 state challenge- Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and PA- trail miles 1059.9-1016.6- 43.3 trail miles and you could probably set up shuttle service and spend each night back in Historic Harpers. Teahorse hostel-304-535-6848 and the outfitters=888-535-2087 can provide shuttle info. The climb into and out of Harpers is a bit tough-but the rest is pretty smooth. SNP is wonderful- but maybe worth saving for a full traverse- the 4 state challenge is a nice way to get a few days of hiking in- if it looks rough you could always cut out the section south of town and hike north- Maryland is a pretty state- about 40 miles- and how cool is that- you can hike a whole state! If you feel fit on the Georgia trails, I think it's fair to say your 10-15 down there, would be 15-20 up there without a pack. You could always start at the PA border and hike south- if it's going well then keep it going. If not- then take all three days to cover Maryland. The waysides are nice, so are the lodges in SNP- but if I was bumming around- I'd rather be doing it in Harpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout620 View Post
    I'm ok hiking in heat & humidity as long as it cools down to a somewhat comfortable level at night. I stop hiking in Florida after May as it just doesn't cool down enough at night to sleep comfortably.
    Nighttime temps and humidity have been terrible in Northern Virginia recently ... lows only in the mid to high 70s with nearly 100% humidity leading to uncomfortable dew points. Based on the SNP weather reports for elevations above 2,000 feet I think it is only moderately better with elevation:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/LWX/RECLWX

Summertime in Virginia!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

++ New Posts ++