WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default "Stand Your Ground" Laws - Which states have them on the AT?

Maybe I shouldn't be worried about this but does any one know which states have "Stand your ground" laws like Florida's? Does the AT go thru any of them?

Are any other hikers worried about these laws, especially in Florida? I don't think I want to go hiking there next winter. Hiker entitlement seems to be a popular subject for these forums but maybe we should be worried. Or is it a racial thing?

Just so you know, I'm not from the US, I get confused about US legal practices and would like to get some perspective.

You're a victim of media frenzy on the Zimmerman case. I live in Florida, stand your ground laws are nothing to fear.

The law didn't even play into the defense of Zimmerman, it was a straight up self defense case.

Images

I fully expect this to be a troll thread to be nuked, however, I will answer this as respectfully and straight forward as I can.

Now first and foremost, please understand exactly what "stand your ground laws" are and what it means. I know that they have been in the news lately, especially with cases like the Zimmerman trial. But there is an incredible amount of incorrect information and understanding, especially in the media driving an agenda. Stand your ground laws had nothing to do with the Zimmerman trial which was a straight up affirmative self defense case.

Most every state has either statute (Florida) or through case law (Virginia) established SYG laws. See that? Nearly every state; infact probably the majority of AT states. What such laws establish is that an individual present in any location who has a legal right to be present, has NO duty to retreat from a threat of harm or death when confronted by an assailant. This is a most simple and basic conscept of human rights. That right to defend yourself with force if necessary and not to be a victim. This is such an old English standard of common law, that it has been enshrined in Virginia case law since the 17th century.

Should a woman be tried for murder because she killed the man attempting to rape her, because she did not retreat from that trail shelter?
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 07-17-2013 at 07:53.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Have you read what the "stand your ground law" is?
    No you have nothing to fear unless you are the perpetrator.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

And to answer your question poopsy. Yes several of the states along the AT have the laws in one form or another. You can google and get all the information you want.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Poopsy,

I see that Canada has a number of news stories where citizens are sent to prison for defending their own life and property...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01...ked-attackers/

I am so sorry to hear that good people in Canada have been prosicuted simply for defending themselves and their families against criminals. As long as you do not attack anyone along the AT, you will not have to worry about the 'Stand Your Ground' laws. I hope you come and enjoy this beautiful trail and its freedoms.

Scott

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If Trayvon were packin' there's a good chance he'd be alive today, and his killer would be the one in the ground.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice way to start a flame war Sly. I can see you didn't watch the trial... Remember Trayvon sucker punched him knocked him to the ground beat his head on the concrete, first and Zimmerman yelled for help and there was an eye witness.

Please remember the state run media is trying to make this into something its not.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

No need to retry the case here. I'll just get the thread closed. Respect our judicial system, it doesn't always get it right, no system can, but it keeps us civil.

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

During WWII, Great Britain took a "stand your ground attitude" but France did not. How did that work out?

It's best to learn facts from different sources (preferably conflicting), disregard the spin, emotion and falsehoods, then make your own logical decision. You'll be amazed at your conclusion, unless you think the Vichy government was a good thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

I had a good laugh yesterday, I was driving past City Hall Philadelphia and they were trying to make a large crowd for one of the news channels out twenty demonstrators so the crew moved them up onto the side steps and used a short angled shot to fill the screen with yelling people....there were more police than demonstrators standing around watching the news crew. Honestly I don't care enough.

Woo

I believe in NJ we have what is called the "Castle Law" which allows for protecting your home or place of business, without reprisal of penalties.

If you are away from home or out in public an are attacked you have an obligation to retreat if you can, crazy ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Nice way to start a flame war Sly. I can see you didn't watch the trial... Remember Trayvon sucker punched him knocked him to the ground beat his head on the concrete, first and Zimmerman yelled for help and there was an eye witness.
    LOL... yeah right. Was that after Zimmerman hung up from 911 and chased him down?

There may not be many here that when walking home and accosted by a stranger would act much differently. I'd certainly tell you to GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    No need to retry the case here. I'll just get the thread closed. Respect our judicial system, it doesn't always get it right, no system can, but it keeps us civil.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    During WWII, Great Britain took a "stand your ground attitude" but France did not. How did that work out?

It's best to learn facts from different sources (preferably conflicting), disregard the spin, emotion and falsehoods, then make your own logical decision. You'll be amazed at your conclusion, unless you think the Vichy government was a good thing.
    and This

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    But mostly this

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    LOL... yeah right. Was that after Zimmerman hung up from 911 and chased him down?

there isn't a law against following someone....Zimmerman lost him and returned to the car and was then confronted. Seriously Sly you are telling me if someone punched you broke your nose and knocked you to the ground you aren't going to defend yourself?

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Sly, dude, you are a moderator and should be setting the example. There is actually an attempt here to have a civil discussion and this does not help.

WOO -- I figured that map would leave out Virginia. Our prinicple of SYG and castle doctrine is the result of a long history of case law, and there is little desire to enact through legislation what could end up being a weaker standard.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Sly, dude, you are a moderator and should be setting the example. There is actually an attempt here to have a civil discussion and this does not help.
    As am I. I can't help it if you don't agree.

If this thread violates the no politics rule it should be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    there isn't a law against following someone....Zimmerman lost him and returned to the car and was then confronted. Seriously Sly you are telling me if someone punched you broke your nose and knocked you to the ground you aren't going to defend yourself?
    No, I'm saying if Trayvon was carrying a gun he'd still be alive.

I wouldn't be out there running around getting my jollies like Zimmerman either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++