WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rec for suitable 2 day LT hike with camp over for boy scout group

Hi,

I'm looking to take a group of Boy Scouts on an LT backpack/hike in early September. We'd start mid-morning Saturday at a drop in point accessible by car, hike all day probably not more than 6-8 miles over not too demand terrain, camp over night at a shelter (or in tents) then hike about 2-3 miles to a pick up point accessible by car. So total distance of around 10 miles with shelter in between and road accessible pick up in between. Probably want to keep it in south or central portion of LT to limit drive time from MA.

Any recommendations? Would love to hike portion across Killington.

These boys backpacked 2 miles up Tuckerman's Ravine trail to Hermit Lake Shelters and then to Lions Head (without backpacks) and back so they have some experience and capability to backpack over rough, steep terrain.

Thanks,

Tim

Images

I'd suggest the Stratton Pond loop. Start from the parking area (AT/LT trailhead) on Stratton-Arlington road (Kellystand rd), hike over Stratton mountain and down to the pond for a total of approx. 8 miles. Camp at the Stratton Pond shelter, then hike the blue blaze Stratton Pond trail back out to Kellystand rd, which is 4 miles. The second day miles are longer than you wanted by about a mile, but it's very flat walking on the Stratton Pond trail.

The only issue is the GMC requests a fee at the Stratton Pond area, which I believe is $5 per person.

Images

Here's a link to more info on the hike I just described...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/gree...pond_trail.pdf

Images

Sorry, hit reply too soon. That link describes just the Stratton Pond trail portion of the hike I described. But, you can see on the map the AT/LT portion I was referring to...

Thanks Yukon. Do you have any idea how crowded that shelter might be on a Saturday in September or it's capacity?

Anything in the Killington area that fits my criteria? How is that Cooper's Cabin?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    Thanks Yukon. Do you have any idea how crowded that shelter might be on a Saturday in September or it's capacity?

Anything in the Killington area that fits my criteria? How is that Cooper's Cabin?

Tim

Stratton pond is one of the few areas on the LT with tenting. The shelter is also large. Most shelters on the LT sleep 8 to 10 max and most do not have good tenting areas. Places with good tenting areas will be occupied by collage orinataion groups, which effectively take over the trail between late August and the middle to end of September. They can be found everywhere from NJ to Maine during this time. The collages try to co-ordinate so that two groups don't show up at the same place at the same time, but if you show up with 10 boy scouts, that could be a problem.

On a nice weekend in early September, there are likely to be many weekenders and more than a few thru-hikers. Actually, there may be quite a few thru-hikers just getting to Vermont in early September since many got a late start and have been going slower then usual due to the weather this year.

Cooper lodge on Killington is to be avoided. It's usually pretty nasty in there, being too close to the summit of Killington. It's rated for 10 to 12 people.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post

Tim
    As Slo-go'en said, the shelter is likely to be a little busy, but there is good tenting options around the pond. The north shore is great.

As far as Killington, I agree with Slo, avoid Cooper Lodge. Off the top of my head, I can't put together any good options in the Killington area that meet your criteria.

The GMC has an outreach person specifically to help groups plan hikes on the Long Trail. See: http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=141
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

++ New Posts ++