WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: August 14 start

Default August 14 start

Looks like my wife and I have our plans ironed out now. We are starting August 14 at Kenosha Pass (Black Hill Stage lines bus) and hopefully arriving at the Elk Park stop and catching the D&SNGRR on September 8. We have a flight out of Durango on September 9.

We don't have time to do the whole trail, but this seems like a good chunk to do in our time frame.

We plan on using our Ray-way tarp and are trying to decide if we can skip bringing the net-tent for bugs. Or maybe we should mail it home at some point?

Also, any idea if the fire bans will be lifted by then? We have a Caldera Cone stove that we'd like to use.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Mark

When starting from Kenosha Pass, you reach Georgia Pass at just under 12,000' in only 12 miles. Are you allowing time to acclimate?

We're in Colorado all summer working and doing training hikes, so we'll already be acclimated. We've done several hikes over 12k already, including one 14er.

Another question I thought of is water sources, especially once we get beyond Marshall Pass. I assume all seasonal creeks will be dry by then. Any tips?

Also seriously considering the Collegiate West alternate.

Quote Originally Posted by marktrumpet View Post
    ...Another question I thought of is water sources, especially once we get beyond Marshall Pass. I assume all seasonal creeks will be dry by then. Any tips?...
    After Tank 7 Creek which is 11.6 miles beyond Marshall Pass, you have another 11 miles until the Baldy Lake side trail. I recommend you hike down to the lake and fill up, maybe cook a meal. The book says the side trail is 1/2 mile but it seemed less to us - we hiked down and up in less than 10 minutes each way.

After that stretch, sources become pretty marginal. Even in the "wet" year that I thruhiked (2011), we still were barely able to squeeze water out of Pine Creek in Segment 18 after which we didn't find water again until Cochetopa Creek. Your best bet is to check with locals on this year's conditions, especially those who have thruhiked before you. Also check with the Colorado Trail Foundation. Good luck!

www.trailjournals.com/cookerhikerCT11

Thanks for the advice on water. I'm wondering if anyone wants to chime in about bugs that time of year. We're wondering if we can leave our net-tent at home, and just go with the tarp. Thanks!

Mark

I hiked in a "wet" year and while mosquitoes were bad the first 10-12 days from July 24, they were pretty much gone by August 14. Don't know if that's typical.

Those sound like reasonable places to start/stop your current planned hike and if in the future you decide to pick up the rest of the CT miles. Taking the train into Durango is a great way to bring the hike to a close especially with your wife! It's a great ride. You can buy a ticket, at I think a slight premium, when boarding at Elk Park, which is basically just a stop, which will offer greater flexibility in arrival time at Elk Park. You could camp near ElK park to.o If you do intend to come back and pick up the rest of the CT between Elk Park and Durango know that going SOBO from EP up to Molas Pass is a bit of a haul with a heavy fully loaded pack. There are plenty of excellent campsites all the way from the CDT/CT junction at the head of the canyon before starting the descent to Elk Park. Plenty of H20 along that stretch. You'll be by a stream/river often. This is a greatly scenic stretch of the CT. It made me happy I was going down it though. I did some day free climbing near the head of the canyon just as you start the descent. I was tempted to stay at an old beat up miner's cabin in the area.You could camp near/at ElK Park too. It's just a flat spot on the side of the tracks. Didn't realize Black Hills Stage lets people off directly at Kenosha Pass.

I would bring the bug net for your hiking period and if you find you don't need it mail it home or back to a convenient pick up place after the hike. Bugs aren't as much of an issue though if you choose you campsites by factoring avoiding them in. Personally. I wouldn't want to get too concerned about trail logistics solely from a bug avoidance issue though on the CT so I would just start out with the net. You'll get wet on more than a few afternoons during that time of the yr so don't want to compound a tarping situation by not having adequate bug protection. Two of the reasons I chose to tarp the CT in late Sept into the third wk of OCT in 2012 was to avoid afternoon showers/lightning and bugs. Mission accomplished in that regard.

Just by word of mouth the CT trail fire closures have been lifted. It's my understanding that all the CT is all hikeable and open.

May your wife and you have a great journey.

Perfect place to start. The first four sections are just dry and burned out. Dont camp by water and the bugs aren't bad at all. Unless you are really sensitive to them.

++ New Posts ++