WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana Youngest Thru-Hiker

I saw on the news today the youngest Thru-Hiker (age 15??) is now at the midway point of the AT. Can anyone tell us more about this young person?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    I saw on the news today the youngest Thru-Hiker (age 15??) is now at the midway point of the AT. Can anyone tell us more about this young person?
    she is NOT the youngest thru-hiker. do some research. and she's not "thru" yet

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1503260
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    she is NOT the youngest thru-hiker. do some research. and she's not "thru" yet
    Youngest solo?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Youngest solo?
    no, shes sees mom every day.sassafras is 13 came off the trail in ft Montgomery ny.hiking with her father, but I believe shes capable on her own. incredible young lady.

Default Youngest Thru-Hiker

What about Balls and sunshine? Father daughter team did the AT last summer, she was 12 or 13 and are currently doing the Continental Divide and did the PCT before the AT. Now that's impressive!!!!!

Mike Cogswell was 6 in 1980 when he did the trail with his parents

The *absolute youngest* did it invertro, I recall reading about a women who thru hiked in pregnant with her husband.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    The *absolute youngest* did it invertro, I recall reading about a women who thru hiked in pregnant with her husband.
    nope. in this society fetuses are not considered humans

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    nope. in this society fetuses are not considered humans

Let's not go there. I was trying to inject humor, not start a pro-life, pro-choice debate.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Let's not go there. I was trying to inject humor, not start a pro-life, pro-choice debate.
    use smileys

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Nine year old "Pink Panther" was hiking NOBO with her parents. Met them at the NOC and again at Fontana.

Just throwing this kids hat in the ring, not that he's the youngest, still quite the accomplishment.

Child's Walk in the Wilderness, A: An 8-Year-Old Boy and His Father Take On the Appalachian Trail

Add to List +

Be the first to write a review

Overview

Imagine a 7-year-old boy asking his father if they can hike the entire length of the 2,200-mile Appalachian Trail together. Then imagine that the father says yes. Now think "What are they getting themselves into?"
    For the author of this deeply felt book, the planned hike is an opportunity to bond with his son and be what he calls "Barbarians"—in touch with natural processes far from the comforts of home. It's ...

See more details below

Chipmunk (15 yo) is currently being billed as the youngest to solo thru hike the AT.

Her mom meets her at the end of each day in their camper.

Heck of an accomplishment if she can pull this off, and props to mom for the support, but I think Mr. Webster would have a hard time defining this as a "solo" hike.

http://www.ridethenation.org/1415-yr...ike-quest.html

Images

Chipmunk was either just in front, or just behind me when I hiked Md over the 4th of July weekend. Heard a lot of interesting things about her and was sorry I didn't meet her. From what was said, she has one determined head on her shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Just throwing this kids hat in the ring, not that he's the youngest, still quite the accomplishment.

Child's Walk in the Wilderness, A: An 8-Year-Old Boy and His Father Take On the Appalachian Trail

Add to List +

Be the first to write a review

Overview

Imagine a 7-year-old boy asking his father if they can hike the entire length of the 2,200-mile Appalachian Trail together. Then imagine that the father says yes. Now think "What are they getting themselves into?"
    For the author of this deeply felt book, the planned hike is an opportunity to bond with his son and be what he calls "Barbarians"—in touch with natural processes far from the comforts of home. It's ...

See more details below

I actually met this father/son team by pure coincidence at Cove Mt. shelter in VA. My husband, daughter and I were backpacking water up to the shelter a few years ago during a drought in VA.

I enjoyed chatting with them. I had no idea, at the time, they were going "public" with their hike.

The youngest of The Family From The North was, I believe, a preschooler.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The youngest of The Family From The North was, I believe, a preschooler.
    Yes, but did she hike it? From my memory of the barefoot sisters book, she was carried the whole way.

Yes, but did she hike it? From my memory of the barefoot sisters book, she was carried the whole way.
    Yah, I was thinking that too...but I'm pretty sure was swaddled in some kind of carrier deal.

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    Yah, I was thinking that too...but I'm pretty sure was swaddled in some kind of carrier deal.
    HYOH. If that was her style than who are we to judge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    HYOH. If that was her style than who are we to judge?

If she applied for a 2000-mile rocker I got no problem with that. But I would give the title of "youngest thruhiker" to the youngest person who actually walked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++