WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default The AT as a wilderness experience?

So, I was listening to a podcast in which a backpacking couple were being interviewed, and one of them had mentioned that as a wilderness experience she wouldn't recommend the AT over PCT or CDT. She mentioned that she perceived the crowd as 'young and rowdy'.

So I guess I'm really curious if, as someone who is seeking a so-called 'wilderness experience', How accurate is this perception? Would I be disappointed with the AT's wilderness feel? Is this a really long party?

Quote Originally Posted by mumbls View Post
    So, I was listening to a podcast in which a backpacking couple were being interviewed, and one of them had mentioned that as a wilderness experience she wouldn't recommend the AT over PCT or CDT. She mentioned that she perceived the crowd as 'young and rowdy'.

So I guess I'm really curious if, as someone who is seeking a so-called 'wilderness experience', How accurate is this perception? Would I be disappointed with the AT's wilderness feel? Is this a really long party?
    go SOBO. NOBO in march and april is a zoo. or go NOBO starting in may

Images

Carry a weeks worth of food. That will drop your town stops and keep you in the woods more.

Images

While the AT provides many things, I won't say a wilderness experience is high on that list. There are things such as SoBo or off season that will give a bit more isolation but there is no comparison between the AT and PCT in the wilderness experience. The parts of the CDT that I have seen or more on par with the PCT.

"...as a wilderness experience she wouldn't recommend the AT over PCT or CDT."

I agree with that much of their assessment. BUT, buyer beware, - opinions vary. I would say as I heard Mags say the AT is a "WILD" experience more so than a wilderness experience. Depends on what you think of when you say "wilderness."

One more thing. Before you have the thought that you want to jump right into true "wilderness." IMHO, some folks(perhaps many), when faced with true wilderness for many nights, possibly wouldn't be ready for it or even be able to cope with it and themselves. Just a thought.

I agree 100% that the AT is not a wilderness experience. Not because of anybody being rowdy. It's not wilderness by the definition of what a wilderness is. There might one or two tiny spots on the AT but that's it.

HOW “WILD” IS THE A.T.?

The well-known plaque at Springer Mountain in Georgia describes the A.T. as “a footpath for those who seek fellowship with the wilderness.” What does that mean? The Trail will indeed take you deep into some of the wildest and most remote woodlands of the eastern United States. But true “wilderness,” in the sense of untouched wild country, is rare, even on the A.T. Much of the land that the Trail follows was once farmland—even the steep, stony, remote slopes—and nearly all of it has been logged at some time during the last four centuries. Except for bears, bobcats, and coyotes, most large natural predators have been exterminated.

In the twentieth century, though, much of the formerly settled land was incorporated into state and national parks and forests. On that land, forests and wildlife have returned. As you walk through what seems like primeval wilderness, you're likely to run across old stone walls or abandoned logging roads or the foundations of nineteenth-century homesteads. The federal government has designated some of those areas as protected wilderness areas, which strictly limits the ways in which they can be used. Today, the mountains teem with creatures of all sorts, from microbes to moose. To the casual hiker who knows only the woods of a suburban park, it can seem very wild indeed.

One good way to look at the “wilderness” of the A.T. is as a series of long, skinny islands of wildness, surrounded by a sea of populated valleys inhabited by working farms and suburban communities. In the vast national forests of the South and the spreading timberlands of northern New England, those “islands” are somewhat broader. But, even in its wildest places, the A.T. hiker is rarely more than a strenuous day's walk from the nearest highway or community

For wilderness on the AT try northern New England in mid-winter.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

You don't have to sleep in, or even near, the shelters. You can avoid the "rowdyness" if you really want to.

Half of the AT is in designated "Wilderness" Areas (source 2010 Thru-Hiker's Companion). But as far as the "feel" of the experience, you are never from some reminder of civilization (road, structure, overflying aircraft, people). And since most people CHOOSE to stay near the shelters, the feeling of being far from the "real world" never quite goes away.

As others have said, if you want a wilderness experience, go during the off-season, and don't stay at shelters. Or just go on one of the countless other trails, that aren't the AT. Most trails don't see 1/10-to 1/100th the traffic.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've only hiked a very small portion of the trail, and in none of the areas that could rightly be called "wilderness", but that was mostly be design. Ours was meant to be an introduction to nature but not complete immersion (we're not ready for that yet). Thus, I'm no judge as to whether or not parts of the AT can be considered wild.

I can however, comment on the "party" aspect of the trail. Most of the other hikers we encountered were solo or in pairs and quietly trekking along their way. We didn't stay at shelters, but visited a few and noticed no rowdiness. The only evidence we had of that kind of behavior occured when we rested at the turnoff to the Rocky Mtn Shelter in PA and were joined by a couple of young men and their dog. For reasons beyond my understanding they thought it was a good idea to start rolling a joint in front of us - a middle-aged grandma and her 11yr old grandson. I got Snacktime out before he realized what was going on. He didn't need to be exposed to stupid young-adult behavior.

I'm not actually being judgemental on their pot use: I'm condemning their stupidity. It's still illegal, and whipping out the bag in front of a kid is tantamount to selling in a school zone. Idiots.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I'm going into my AT thru hike entirely based on reading these boards. I fully expect to see drunks having shootouts with bears, rangers and ridgerunners pummeling unruly hippy hikers with large sticks, ex-military types patroling the trail armed with m4s and tactical shotguns, and random dayhikers stripping off all their clothing and running in circles whilst howling at the sky and waving their hands in the air like they just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunwolf View Post
    ex-military types patroling the trail armed with m4s and tactical shotguns,
    You may actually see this. Rangers frequently engage in "war games" as part of their training in the first half of the GA section. Sometimes you'll think that war has broken out.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You may actually see this. Rangers frequently engage in "war games" as part of their training in the first half of the GA section. Sometimes you'll think that war has broken out.
    Good thing I've decided to pack a small yet colorful water pistol. I will charge the rangers, screaming random epithets whilst squirting them so they can practice what they've learned.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Half of the AT is in designated "Wilderness" Areas (source 2010 Thru-Hiker's Companion). But as far as the "feel" of the experience, you are never from some reminder of civilization (road, structure, overflying aircraft, people). And since most people CHOOSE to stay near the shelters, the feeling of being far from the "real world" never quite goes away.

As others have said, if you want a wilderness experience, go during the off-season, and don't stay at shelters. Or just go on one of the countless other trails, that aren't the AT. Most trails don't see 1/10-to 1/100th the traffic.
    In VA you must camp at designated sites... hit or miss, depends on time of year and presence of water resupply - may be occupied, may not.
    Many places you can still see signs of civilization, hear planes or highways... hard to get away entirely, but you can tune it out and focus on the more natural sounds and rhythms.

Good thing I've decided to pack a small yet colorful water pistol. I will charge the rangers, screaming random epithets whilst squirting them so they can practice what they've learned.
    Please have someone video that and load it up on youtube

Default US Army Rangers

I believe Max Patch is referring to US Army Rangers, not NF or NP rangers. I have two nephews who in recent years earned the Ranger badge early in their US Army careers. The Ranger candidates and active-duty Rangers are of course not running around the North Georgia mountains with live ammunition, but screwing around with them while they're trying to complete a grueling course is not something I'd recommend. It would be, at the very least, incredibly disrespectful. Far better for us who are merely out for a lark to step aside and let the Rangers do their thing.

AO

Quote Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
    In VA you must camp at designated sites...
    this is not true

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    I believe Max Patch is referring to US Army Rangers, not NF or NP rangers. I have two nephews who in recent years earned the Ranger badge early in their US Army careers. The Ranger candidates and active-duty Rangers are of course not running around the North Georgia mountains with live ammunition, but screwing around with them while they're trying to complete a grueling course is not something I'd recommend. It would be, at the very least, incredibly disrespectful. Far better for us who are merely out for a lark to step aside and let the Rangers do their thing.

AO
    An excellent point. In that case I'm sure they'd appreciate my stopping by for a chat. Of course by that time I will have been in the woods for at least a few nights. I'm sure the Rangers would appreciate me giving them advice on things like how to properly pack their packs, how to filter water, LNT principles and most importantly, how to properly train for a long-distance hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    Far better for us who are merely out for a lark to step aside and let the Rangers do their thing.
    Exactly. Its clear to me that the Rangers have been instructed to ignore any hikers they come across. I'm sure they would like us to give them the same consideration.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++