WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Absolutely, mix and match with official CDT routes and alternates to design the hike of your dreams. No other other long distance trail of the extent of the CDT does this most aptly apply.

Dogwood,

I got all of Ley's maps right now,and his maps are far greater than any other maps I found on the market so far. I am still in the very early stage of planning and just is getting used to New Mexico's map. I never understood why people went on long treks to just "get it done". I feel like the whole experience would be different, I'm planning on seeing all the sights I can! Thanks for informing me about that side trail, I will be sure to check it out, if not on my CDT hike in 2015, I may use my vacation time for that next year

The fact that there aren't many hikers is appealing to me. I always hear how the AT is crowded and such. I want to experience the CDT before it gets too crowded. This little gem won't stay quiet for too long, I am sure.

Do you have a blog about your adventure on the CDT?

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Somwhere between the last 10 days of April to first week of May. Its a little early to say exactly when. If the snow in the San Juan's is bad, I'll favor a latter start. If I end up not doing much training, then I'll favor a bit earlier in-order to more slowly break in.

Miner,

We definitely need to meet up at some point. Perhaps we could start together… I, too, want to start at Crazy Cook monument, as Sly mentioned, with the passing of Sam Hughes it will be harder to get transportation to the beginning of the trail. I'll keep searching for a way to get there, after all, it's the official start of the CDT.

If all fails, I'll just hike there! I'm planning to start in April to "break myself in" and start easy. Last thing I want is to overdue it in the first few weeks and get an injury that will prevent me from continuing farther. Anyway, that's my plan, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Melanie, there were over 100 northbound hikers that started this year and I only expect numbers to go up, so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to plan or hike with.
    Really! Any numbers from the previous few years? I guess I knew the numbers were going up, but I was thinking more ~50/year.

Quote Originally Posted by Not-a-Moose View Post
    Really! Any numbers from the previous few years? I guess I knew the numbers were going up, but I was thinking more ~50/year.
    Up until this year it seems the number for the past 10 has been between 25-50. In 2002, the year I thru-hiked, there were less than 25 thru-hikers in both directions with about the same long distance section hikers. Of course these are just guesstimates, but I believe fairly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by foreversuperawesome View Post
    Dogwood,

I got all of Ley's maps right now,and his maps are far greater than any other maps I found on the market so far.
    As someone who has done the trail utilizing both Ley and Bearcreek maps, I couldn't disagree more. For the official route, BC is vastly more functional for navigation, particularly if you are going to carry a gps. Having the UTM grid on a map when you are off-trail enables you to figure out exactly where you are and quickly get back on route. The CDT is really hard to follow in some places - your hike will be easier if you have the right tools. The only downside of the BC maps is that it only covers the official trail. In order to do the alternates, you will also have to carry some Ley maps.

I'm planning to start in April to "break myself in" and start easy. Last thing I want is to overdue it in the first few weeks and get an injury that will prevent me from continuing farther. Anyway, that's my plan, for now.
    I think this is a good plan, but keep in mind that water sources will often be 20 miles apart or more! And if you aren't doing 20+ miles per day, that makes for a ton of water to carry. I met several PCTers who began their hike in Tehachapi and they often struggled with the long dry stretches and only doing 15 mi per day. I think that section is much hillier than southern NM though.

Also, as someone from the East, do you have any experience with desert hiking? I'm from North Carolina and was totally unprepared for how difficult the desert would be. I recommend getting some hikes in for practice, luckily you have plenty of time!!

Quote Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
    The only downside of the BC maps is that it only covers the official trail. In order to do the alternates, you will also have to carry some Ley maps.
    Thanks for the kind words.

A bit of news here. I have been collecting second party GPS information on the most commonly traveled alternates for a couple of years now. The plan is for the 2014 Mapbooks to include maps of the most-used alternate routes:

New Mexico:
    Antelope Wells / Deming
    Gila River
    Mt. Taylor Summit
    Old Pietown route (probably will move the Omega north roadwalk to one that goes to Pietown as well. Official route is going to eventually parallel the road from Omega to Pietown, so pie will always be part of the experience)
    Skull bridge / Ghost Ranch / Bear Camp

Colorado:
    Creede Cutoff
    New Argentine Spine route
    Silverthorne

Wyoming:
    Cirque of the Towers
    Temple Pass
    Go-around to Fish Lake / Leeds Creek

Montana/Idaho:
    Mack's Inn
    Anaconda Cutoff
    Bob Marshall High route

The GPS data being used for these is primarily track files from Garmins and is of considerably lower quality than that of the data obtained by the mapping project of 2009-2011. I am checking it all with aerial topography and making corrections - it should be end up being very good overall. Probably 100' off in places, but the map lines on the maps are almost that wide. GPS waypoints for the routes are also being generated, and the maps will be just like the current Mapbook Maps with UTM grid to aid navigation.

You should still get the Ley maps as well. Lots of great information, and numerous other possible routes on those.

Bearcreek - I recommend including the Cebolla Wilderness alternate as well, especially for someone who is interested in history and wants to do the side visits to Armijo (12th century ruins) and/or the petroglyphs. That area is a lot better than long paved roadwalks.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Awesome news. Thanks for the hard work and great contributions to the CDT community!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I've been following a young woman's journal of the CDT. She is currently hiking and expects to finish in the next few days. She did the PCT a couple of years ago - trail name Wired. Her journal is beautifully done with lots of stunning photography. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.walkingwithwired.com/p/cdt-2013.html

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Bearcreek - I recommend including the Cebolla Wilderness alternate as well, especially for someone who is interested in history and wants to do the side visits to Armijo (12th century ruins) and/or the petroglyphs. That area is a lot better than long paved roadwalks.
    Great suggestion. I think I have the data for that.

I was hoping for 2014 but it looks like 2015 will be the year. Snow and such might change my mind but I'm hoping for Nobo from Crazy Cook too. Finished the PCT in 2012 and have had itchy feet ever since.

Focus

As someone who has done the trail utilizing both Ley and Bearcreek maps, I couldn't disagree more. For the official route, BC is vastly more functional for navigation, particularly if you are going to carry a gps. Having the UTM grid on a map when you are off-trail enables you to figure out exactly where you are and quickly get back on route. The CDT is really hard to follow in some places - your hike will be easier if you have the right tools. The only downside of the BC maps is that it only covers the official trail. In order to do the alternates, you will also have to carry some Ley maps.
    Not knocking the Bear Creek maps, I'm sure they're of better quality, but in my experience, the compass rose on the Ley maps worked quite well. I made all into waypoints beforehand and labeled all accordingly, so it was a snap to use.

I am also planing a 2015 Thru Hike going Nobo. Did the AT this past summer now im looking to embrace the brutality. The planning stage is weird. Its part obsession, part dream, part cluster ****. I just can't wait to start pounding out the miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    With the passing of Sam Hughes it's going to be much more difficult to reach Crazy Cook. Starting at Palomas/Columbus is the official alternate.
    That is absolute baloney. The CDT has two "official" alternates. One is in Rocky Mountain NP and the other is Chief Mountain.

Just bought Embrace the Brutality at 4:30 in the morning. Ya I got the CDT on my mind hahaha.

I to am planning to start the cdt NOBO in the spring of 2015. Looking for people to start with. I to am from Wisconsin and I hike the Ice age trail all the time. I have hiked solo a lot. New Mexico will be a new experience for me so Id like to start with someone if possible. Safety in numbers.

Hey guys!

I just started planning for a thru hike in 2015, anyone else out there planning on hiking it as well? I will be doing a NOBO so if anyone else is too, we could possibly meet up!

-Melanie

Images

The CDTC helped this year's nobo's by providing shuttle service to Crazy Cook. Don't know it they plan something similar for SOBO's who'll finish this fall.

+1 to using the Compass Rose on Ley's maps. I hiked before and after all of the Bear Creek Survey maps were available. I would make frequent "fagawi" stops to check that I was at least near the trail and found the compass rose to be easy to use and accurate. Took the BCS maps on my 2011 chunk and was thankful for the waypoints while hiking over snow.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

That is absolute baloney. The CDT has two "official" alternates. One is in Rocky Mountain NP and the other is Chief Mountain.
    PLEASE PLEASE don't take this perspective of what the "official" CDT route is. It's quicksand. The CDT is a trail of alternates! That's one of the most wonderful aspects of the CDT. On the CDT you are allowed to and it is still encouraged that you HYOH.

Images

QUAD CROWN

Why is the 175 or so miles on the Long Trail not included here?

I see more and more people completing the Triple Crown which is GREAT. What a huge accomplishment, be it thru hikes or section hikes.

My plan is Section Hikes of all 4, completing the

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++