WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default MSR MIOX with Sawyer squeeze ?

I know a lot of people say that you don't need to worry about virus,but i cant afford to get sick. i just completed a section hike of 5 days (first solo hike amazing experience). I used the sweetwater filter but tossed it after talking to some through hikers and got the sawyer amazing pice of gear. I used bleach but worried about it degrading over time and bottle breaking. I got a miox for free and was wondering if i can under dose my filtered water with the miox. Does anyone have any experience with the miox ( i will carry tabs as a back up or just boil but don't like waiting for it too cool). thank you sorry about the long post.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    I know a lot of people say that you don't need to worry about virus,but i cant afford to get sick. i just completed a section hike of 5 days (first solo hike amazing experience). I used the sweetwater filter but tossed it after talking to some through hikers and got the sawyer amazing pice of gear. I used bleach but worried about it degrading over time and bottle breaking. I got a miox for free and was wondering if i can under dose my filtered water with the miox. Does anyone have any experience with the miox ( i will carry tabs as a back up or just boil but don't like waiting for it too cool). thank you sorry about the long post.
    Sawyer makes a water purifier that will filter viruses. It has hose connectors so with the right adaptors it could be hooked up as a squeeze or gravity system.

Images

I love my MIOX. But honestly, using a filter and it are duplicative, even if they're different methods. The MIOX makes a disinfectant that will kill the microorganism. Fine, with food water sources such as you usually find on the AT. The filters do much the same thing, plus take out the floaties and in some cases, dissolved contaminants. They have the advantage that your water is ready to drink without a waiting period.

Images

True I will use it to decon Large amounts of water at night. Which should extend my filter life thanks

my feet hurt too...

Glad to know I not the only one who still uses the MIOX. You can get test strips for the MIOX if your worried about under dosing.
    ...breathing is the reason, backpacking is the season....

I've used both, prefer the MIOX. For me, the Sawer filter just takes too much time to use and, according to the instructions, does not filter out viruses. They used to sell one that advertised it removed viruses, but they were required to retract that statement because the virus killing method required more time inside the filter than was normal when using it. I'm on my 2nd MIOX, the first one died on me, but I had it for about five or six years before it stopped working. I'm not happy with the fact that the MIOX is, apparently, no longer available. If anyone has heard different, let me know. Thanks,

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

If you're worried about viruses, filtration + bleach will get rid of pretty much everything. (The protozoa that bleach doesn't kill are big enough to filter out.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Sawyer filters remove:

* Filter does not remove dissolved solids, including chemicals and heavy metals.
    “The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.”
    ― Aldous Huxley

Peapicker: is this the 2012 or 2013 version of the Sawyer filter? I have the 2012 & don't remember that it filtered viruses.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpen View Post
    Peapicker: is this the 2012 or 2013 version of the Sawyer filter? I have the 2012 & don't remember that it filtered viruses.
    Thanks!
    Copied from site today...please note it's the purifier and not just the filter.
    “The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.”
    ― Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpen View Post
    Thanks!
    He's talking about this: http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/pr...-pointtwo.html

love the filter itself, hate the bags it came with...

++ New Posts ++