WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Weather conditions Virgina

I am starting my hike at Harper's Ferry and heading south on April 17. I am anxious to know what to expect in a normal year (if there is such a thing) from the weather during the Virginia 500 miles. Will I need cold weather gear starting that late?
    God is good all the time; all the time God is good. - We Shall See 2015

Snow is unlikely but you need to prepare for cold rain. For me, that's 3 layers: undershirt, fleece sweater, rain jacket/windbreaker. I'd also bring a warm hat and gloves. I'd bring rain pants, especially if I was intending to avoid shelters (they shouldn't be too crowded for most of your hike). The other important point is to keep a dry set of clothes (at least a long-sleeved shirt and some sort of bottoms) to change into when you reach camp. If you're tenting and it's raining, don't put the dry clothes on until you're in the tent.

You might be tempted to send the fleece home when you reach Pearisburg but keep in mind that the higher elevations of Grayson Highlands and Mt. Rogers can result in cold temps through the end of May.

I failed to mention - will a cold weather sleeping bag be needed? Is a +20 okay, too much? A +40 too little?
    God is good all the time; all the time God is good. - We Shall See 2015

There's been plenty of rain so water sources shouldn't be a concern. Be aware that this time of the year there are pop up thunder and possible lightening storms almost daily usually in the afternoon. The mountains can be cool at night so a long sleeved performance tee and or a light fleece will work. I use a Go Lite 20 degree quilt so I'm able to vent pretty easy. Ticks and biting insects seem to be a problem this year so a lightweight tent (lots of netting) might help you get a good nights sleep. I was up on the AT south of SNP a few weeks ago and there was plenty of water including most of the boxed or variable springs
    Enjoy your hike.
    Rick

Ya just never know what you'll get that time of year. If you plan on being cold and wet much of the time, you won't be disapointed...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Ya just never know what you'll get that time of year. If you plan on being cold and wet much of the time, you won't be disapointed...
    Great answer, Slo.

Hey- " We Shall See"...is the answer to your question.

Seriously tho, ChinMusic hiked thru VA this year & reported waking up to snow on the ground around Punchbowl Shelter near Buena Vista VA on May 13th this year. You never know....

I've lived in VA since 73. April will still have plenty of cold days and we even see snow once in awhile in April. Heck, we've had snow in May but that's rare. If this were me, and I am not an experienced AT hiker, I would prepare for some cold weather. Some nights you will probably see down below freezing. Weather in VA is so unpredictable in months like April. Others can better advise but can't you ship home if you over pack for cold and it turns nice. But as someone else mentioned you'd best prepare for rain.

Future thru-hiker here.
    The More People I Meet The More I Like My Dog.

I hiked Rockfish Gap to Daleville this spring, starting early in May, and the weather was a lot colder than I expected, or hoped. There were many nights with temps in the low 30s, and a lot of rain. Ice chunks were falling from the trees on top of Three Ridges. In over two weeks on the trail, there were only 2-3 days I'd describe as warm.

++ New Posts ++