WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Book suggestion

Images

the two at books i would recommend are becoming odyssa by jpd, and walking with spring by earl shaffer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    the two at books i would recommend are becoming odyssa by jpd, and walking with spring by earl shaffer.
    I enjoyed Walking with spring the best. As I said in another book thread, no one will ever see the AT as Earl did.

Man, I'm going to have a snerious overdue book charge from the HB57 Library

Images

wow everyone. Thanks for all the suggestions. I too have read A Walk in the Woods, and really enjoyed it, even though Bryson tends to come off a bit condescending.

I wanted to get a more obscure book since quite a few people have read that one. I'm not sure if their coach is a hiker, but he does need more 'hiker funk' in his life. Time to go spend time browsing the shelves with this list!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    Time to go spend time browsing the shelves with this list!
    You still go to a library to search for library books? How quaint!!! tee hee Just pulling your leg a tad, but truly, I've learned that online searches cover all our branches, not just the one I might be in. And they will do inter-library loans for users. Cool.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Book, jeez! Give the kid a nice thank you card with a $20 bill stuffed inside. Students are poor!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    You two have got to be puttin me on....Moby Dick not about whaling??? It's a true classic, I mean call me Ismael...I mean sure it's about Capt Ahab, but you don't get there without telling the story of whaling.

Same with a Walk in the Woods, you can't tell the story of the AT with out talking about the history of the AT, which Bryson does quite extensively...then and now.

and I think collage bound kids are a little smarter than you may be giving them credit for...think on it.

but to be fair...not every one liked the book, I get that.
    Moby Dick was just very difficult to read. I have no commentary on the subject matter - just the writing style. As far as Bryson is concerned you can write a book about the AT without spending 2/3 of it complaining about the federal government.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Book, jeez! Give the kid a nice thank you card with a $20 bill stuffed inside. Students are poor!
    I would agree usually, but this college bound kid comes from a very affluent family. He won't be having a hard time rubbing together two twenties for his pizza and suds.

just to clarify a subtle distinction... awols guidebook is not the same book as awol on the at. awols guidebook is just that, a great tool to use for planning and on trail data. does this kid have any interest in the trail, or are you trying to inspire it in him?

unrelated to the trail, but as a welcome to georgia, i'd get him the book "damn good dawgs"

Images

I guess I just want him to be aware of what will be right around the corner from him. Im thinking about getting Walking With Spring, and maybe I'll slip one of those one page maps of the first bit of the trail under the cover.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++