WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Book suggestion

Images

Default Book suggestion

My kids' swim coach is leaving for college, GaTech, and I want to get an AT book as a thank you present. Is there one you would suggest? I was thinking about AWOLs guide. If you were introduced to the love of hiking through a book, what was it?

Images

the essays of john muir.also walter bonatti's the mountains of my life.the journals of lewis and clark are awesome.

Is he already a hiker? If not, I don't think AWOLs guide will be inspirational. It is incredibly useful...just not exactly a pleasure read.

If actually recommend I Hike. it's not a continuous story, nor specifically AT related but its a great read.

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller ,

Three Hundred Zeroes: Lessons of the heart on the Appalachian Trail. by Dennis R. Blanchard

Lots of folks seemed to like "A Walk in the Woods" as did I.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Lots of folks seemed to like "A Walk in the Woods" as did I.
    Before this gets crushed, l will agree. I enjoyed the book too

A Walk in the Woods isn't really about the AT, any more than Moby Dick is about whaling. It is an enjoyable book, but it certainly will resonate more with someone in the 40-50 year-old range than with a youth heading to college.

Images

I find most of the books that have been written about the a t are pretty depressing rather than inspirational what turns me on the most was reading the old explorers tales of mountain men John Colter Lewis and Clark Daniel Boone the guys who wanted to see what was around the next bend

Quote Originally Posted by bobp View Post
    A Walk in the Woods isn't really about the AT, any more than Moby Dick is about whaling. It is an enjoyable book, but it certainly will resonate more with someone in the 40-50 year-old range than with a youth heading to college.
    You managed to reference the two worst books I've ever read in one sentence. My fav so far is Southbound by the Barefoot Sisters but I'm reading Skywalkers book right now and it is very entertaining.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    You managed to reference the two worst books I've ever read in one sentence. My fav so far is Southbound by the Barefoot Sisters but I'm reading Skywalkers book right now and it is very entertaining.

You two have got to be puttin me on....Moby Dick not about whaling??? It's a true classic, I mean call me Ismael...I mean sure it's about Capt Ahab, but you don't get there without telling the story of whaling.

Same with a Walk in the Woods, you can't tell the story of the AT with out talking about the history of the AT, which Bryson does quite extensively...then and now.

and I think collage bound kids are a little smarter than you may be giving them credit for...think on it.

but to be fair...not every one liked the book, I get that.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-22-2013 at 21:32.

Images

I am currently reading 'Decade of the wolf', which is the last book I picked up on my last trip to Jellystone. It is about the reintroduction of the wolf to the park. It is very interesting, and it is kind of getting me all jellied up to get back there. I haven't been since '10'. I would love to get back and take a 5 day walk, but my friend out there can't backpack anymore. I wonder if I know any interesting WBer that may want to check out some new country to backpack in. Possibly after he's got that thru hike bug out of his butt!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I am currently reading 'Decade of the wolf', which is the last book I picked up on my last trip to Jellystone. It is about the reintroduction of the wolf to the park. It is very interesting, and it is kind of getting me all jellied up to get back there. I haven't been since '10'. I would love to get back and take a 5 day walk, but my friend out there can't backpack anymore. I wonder if I know any interesting WBer that may want to check out some new country to backpack in. Possibly after he's got that thru hike bug out of his butt!
    i cant plan that far ahead.

will there be cheesecake?

Images

Personally I have found that many of the AT thru-hiker books have just run together for me. I cant keep the experiences of rhe various authors seperate and I cant figure out if its because I am getting old or because all of the books are essentially the same.

The one that I most enjoyed was Just Passing Thru by Winton Porter. Also enjoyed Walking with Spring. Right now I am reading On the Beaten Path by Robert Rubin.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i cant plan that far ahead.

will there be cheesecake?
    Of course....if TSA will let me take it on the plane! And if we get a lay-over in Chi-town, we won't have to eat in the food court!

Images

A Walk For Sunshine by Jeff Alt. I fell in love with this book!
    "Life is a journey, not a destination." -RWE

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Of course....if TSA will let me take it on the plane! And if we get a lay-over in Chi-town, we won't have to eat in the food court!
    I don't know Lou, you drop that thing on someones foot and cause there head to explode like those sledge hammer hits the weight, hits the bell things at the carnival. Bing!

Section Hiker

i actually had to read that book IN college and still love it. plus dennis blanchard, awol on the traill, odyssa, the things you find by kevin runolfson and currently: just passin thru by winton porter.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

Skywalkers book is off to a good start. I loved AWOLs book. Barefoot sisters first book was pretty good. Their second one left a lot to be desired, but maybe it was because I yo-yo'ed the two, and by the middle of the second one I was as tired of reading about their adventure as they were walking it.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    If you were introduced to the love of hiking through a book, what was it?
    A Walk in the Woods, by Bryson "introduced" me to AT backpacking. Loved it and still do.

But in addition to that, I think I would recommend As Far As the Eye Can See, by David Brill, for a book, or Then the Hail Came, by George Steffanos, for an online memoir. Both are of "the old days" (1980s) by current dates. The first is about the AT experience, but more as a series of great essays about his trail experiences. The second is a great day-by-day account. Both, in my opinion, are pretty phenomenal in appeal to me and I have read both more than once.

Don't forget Model-T (J.R. Tate) and his classic, Walking on the Happy Side of Misery, nor leave out Jennifer Pharr Davis' books now. I could go on.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Hiking the Appalachian trail 2 volume set

61iyndvXYAL._SL500_SX300_.jpg
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++