WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks Slo!

No gas or convenience store in Jonesville....just the PO.

For clarification, Jonesville isn't technically a town. It's part of Richmond. All the services are pretty much in Richmond village. Jonesville was once a historic trading center (wool and potash I think), so it had a PO and was assigned a zip code. The PO remains, but the rest is pretty much moved on. Some properties in Richmond and Bolton have a mailing address of "Jonesville, VT". Zip code maps do not match town maps here. It's very confusing.

With all the talk of USPS cuts, wouldn't be surprised if Jonesville could be on the chopping block.

Also, considering all the rain we've had this year and the upcoming forecast....frequent water sources will not be a problem.

Thanks NorthCountry- very helpful on both threads! Hope to visit your namesake shortly...

Images

I thought I heard that Mama Bowers is no longer in business? Might want to look into that...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    1.4 miles south of Gov. Clemant shelter you will come out on Upper Road. Go West about 1 mile to the first left (south). This will likely be a gravel road. Follow it for a bit over a mile until the next intersection, which will be Lower Cold Road. Go a little ways past the intersection and you should see where the trail re-enters the woods. You might pass a couple of farm houses along the way.

There will be signs and the route might actually be blazed by now.
    That detour is regularly ignored except during periods of heavy rainfall.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    That detour is regularly ignored except during periods of heavy rainfall.
    I ignored it last year, although doing the road walk might have been easier. It was a pretty stumbly walk along the washed out river bank with all the loose rocks. Didn't I hear there was additional damage this year due to high water? Like maybe a makeshift bridge being washed out? I suppose it would be possible to ford, but you'd definately get your feet wet!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

how far off the LT is Sal's Pizza? last year I missed it, this year planning to hit it, was tortured by 2 other hikers who brought pizza back to a shelter that nite.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    how far off the LT is Sal's Pizza? last year I missed it, this year planning to hit it, was tortured by 2 other hikers who brought pizza back to a shelter that nite.
    I WANT PIZZA! looks like it's in Rutland though (if this is the right one)- Sal's Italian Restaurant-Pizzeria
    148 West St, Rutland, VT ‎

Images

Keep in mind the Whistle Stop Cafe at VT103 in N Clarendon is closed and up for auction. Loretta's Deli is new and another .5 west of the Whistle Stop.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I ignored it last year, although doing the road walk might have been easier. It was a pretty stumbly walk along the washed out river bank with all the loose rocks. Didn't I hear there was additional damage this year due to high water? Like maybe a makeshift bridge being washed out? I suppose it would be possible to ford, but you'd definately get your feet wet!
    Me too.....

I've built a few trails in for our local forest preserve so out of habit and consideration- I follow the re-routes. Not that it really matters, but I consider that the official route. Sometimes no biggie (as in this case), but I've had several close calls with regard to nearly killing folks who came on a jobsite that was closed. Another local contractor had a big lawsuit when a jogger violated a trail closure and fell into an open trench. Common sense would dictate if you hear a chainsaw or heavy machinery- you shouldn't be there, but you know how common sense works. If somebody closes the trail, good reason or bad, I follow it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Sal's pizza is on the corner of Rt. 140 and Rt. 7 in Wallingford. If I had to guess, it's about 4-5 miles down Rt. 140 from the trailhead...

The vending machine across the street from the Jonesville PO has been gone for a few years - it was gone in 2010 and earlier this summer. There was some talk that someone might ask the owners of the motorcycle repair shop that kept the machine to get one again. Be aware of the window hours at the Jonesville PO, they've cut back.

There are no services along the Shrewsbury re-route. Going southbound you will see the key river crossing (where the bridge is out) to your left before following the re-route and make an informed choice.

There is food at the summit restaurant on Killington, but given that it comes right after the Long Trail Inn it doesn't have much practical value. For similar reasons, the one mile detour to get to the Deli near Clarendon is unlikely to be worth it.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing:1509516
    There are no services along the Shrewsbury re-route. Going southbound you will see the key river crossing (where the bridge is out) to your left before following the re-route and make an informed choice..
    Pierces general store is east on lower cold river road about 2.5 miles. Items are generally expensive but is a good stop for a soda and sandwich ..

I take the road walk reroute going Sobo and the original trail going nobo. The roadwalk has a steep incline going nobo that i like to walk down instead. I suggest to thru hikers to take the original trail because it is ~3/4 miles shorter and has the '500 miles' sign just north of upper cold river rd. The long trail patrol has done some great work on the trail there too - soft and fluffy new trail

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en:1505760
    Bill;1505601]

1.4 miles south of Gov. Clemant shelter you will come out on Upper Road. Go West about 1 mile to the first left (south). This will likely be a gravel road. Follow it for a bit over a mile until the next intersection, which will be Lower Cold Road. Go a little ways past the intersection and you should see where the trail re-enters the woods. You might pass a couple of farm houses along the way.

There will be signs and the route might actually be blazed by now.
    The northern end of the reroute starts just shy of a half mile south of gov. Clement. Look for an orange cone and signage.

The actual long trail in this area is not 100% blazed yet. The newly built trail is easy to follow but orange and blue ribbons are all around just in case. I was considering blazing the trail but have to wait until it 'officially' reopens as per word from Forest service and GMC folks..

Keep em coming- looking good on going- better than 90% committed, likely at the end of this month. Got the guidebooks- acceptable quality- but no secret details like these. 99.9% going SOBO. Waffling a bit on the Jonesville resupply still, but I will call there this week to talk to somebody in person. Late September I'm guessing Inn@ LT ends up filled up most nights due to the busy season? Are they hoping to re-open the trail soon then? Construction crew gone?

Sal's Pizza in Wallingford is worth the hitch, I missed it last year, on my list of stops for this year's hike. Sorry to hear the Whistle Stop Café is closed, the deli might be worth a visit if a hitch is easy. Last year in the fog of war, I climbed that spur up to top of Killington, thinking there were cheeseburgers there at the snack bar, of course I was rewarded with fantastic views at top, but no cheeseburgers. The 2 kind dayhikers at the top offered me a beer for my efforts though. I love Vermont, can't wait to get back to the LT. Leaving one month from tomorrow (Sept 4th).

Images

Just wanted to drop in here with some folks who appear to know a lot about the LT / AT in Vermont. I'll be working south from the VT / NH line down to W'town MA in a week or so from now. Is trail side camping permitted away from the shelters as long as you observe any posted "no camping " or "closed for renovation" signs? Oh, and how bad is the mud?
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Hey just bill, I'm about a 15-20 minute drive from Jonesville. I'm new to WB but if ya need some help resupplying let me know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++