WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Pinhoti campsites

I've just starting sectioning the PT, and am curious where the best campsites are.

Here's the good one's I've found so far.

Section 4: Horn Mtn Fire Tower (we cached water jugs near the FS road).
    Section 5: 56.4
    Campsite (Streamside spot before Nobo climb up Rocky Top2),
    Section 6: 70.9 ~ CAMPSITE ~ 1380' ~ LC

If you can time it right the Coleman Lake Campground (Section 10 @ 127.0) is well worth the ½ mile walk for the hot shower and the picnic table. Might even get a coke or two from some campers after telling them what you're doing and offering to buy it of course.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Mr Parkay has established campsite designations on his PT maps. I mixed it up a bit by preparing for camping(water) and finding largely unestablished camping spots on ridges w/overlooks and at the at least two large lakes, you'll pass by, Coleman being one of them, and at established sites along creeks and waterways. If you're expecting consistent established campsites along the entire PT like you find on the AT I would say that will not be the case. It's my guess you'll have to mix it up a bit on camping areas between established and impromptu sites.

Mr parkay also lists the PT shelters available when he did his maps. There are one or two not on his maps though unless he very recently updated them.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    If you can time it right the Coleman Lake Campground (Section 10 @ 127.0) is well worth the ½ mile walk for the hot shower and the picnic table. Might even get a coke or two from some campers after telling them what you're doing and offering to buy it of course.
    There's an overflow area (primitive camping) I use when I'm in the area, tent site, fire rings and table. When I'm there the campground is normally closed.

My favorite spots are off the beaten path, not established camp sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    There's an overflow area (primitive camping) I use when I'm in the area, tent site, fire rings and table. When I'm there the campground is normally closed.
    Where is this area at from coming across the bridge? When you say closed does that mean the showers are shut down. I've only ever been there March thru November and it has been open every time.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Coleman closes in the winter. I used the unimproved camping area a long time ago. If I remember correctly, when driving into or towards Coleman from the main road, the "overflow" camping will be a side road off to your right before you get to the main Coleman camping sites. It was pretty obvious to me where to turn.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    Coleman closes in the winter. I used the unimproved camping area a long time ago. If I remember correctly, when driving into or towards Coleman from the main road, the "overflow" camping will be a side road off to your right before you get to the main Coleman camping sites. It was pretty obvious to me where to turn.
    The bridge I'm talking about is the one coming off the trail. Is there a trail from that leading to this primitive area or do you have to go through the main campground out to the road and then to the road to the primitive area? I've been to the main campground via the trail more than I have the road and guess I've just missed the road to the primitive.

Images

The times I have been to Coleman during the closed season the road into the campground is gated at FS 500 and there is no access to any part of the campground.
    As far as the foot bridge from the Pinhoti, I have never used it so I cannot advise.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

It's bugging me that I 'm not recalling it. What's the name of that other large lake/reservoir you go by in AL? It looked like there could have been some shweet off the beaten path impromptu camping around it. It looked to be almost entirely forested along the shoreline.

Showers open or not Coleman has a nice beach.

Yes, you can hike to the overflow campground but I am not familiar with any separate trail. If needed, hike to the improved campsites, not very far from the trail, then hike north and cut back on the road that will be on your left before exiting the camp ground. For reference, the trail is on the west side of the lake/campground and the overflow parking is a little north and west of the improved camping area. All of this is south of fs500.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's bugging me that I 'm not recalling it. What's the name of that other large lake/reservoir you go by in AL? It looked like there could have been some shweet off the beaten path impromptu camping around it. It looked to be almost entirely forested along the shoreline.
    Could it be the Choccolocco watershed. Nice open camping on top of the dam. Tree lined on the sides. We swim in it. Springhoti 2012 114.jpgSpringhoti 2012 115.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    Yes, you can hike to the overflow campground but I am not familiar with any separate trail. If needed, hike to the improved campsites, not very far from the trail, then hike north and cut back on the road that will be on your left before exiting the camp ground. For reference, the trail is on the west side of the lake/campground and the overflow parking is a little north and west of the improved camping area. All of this is south of fs500.
    This is the way I figured you had to do it. One of the days I'll just go to the campground and car camp for a couple of days and whack around and see what's what instead of hiking thru.

That's one of them Atmilkman but there's another. Besides the Choccolocco Shelter is nice. I wish I had fishing gear to drop a line in the tailrace near the shelter. Got to be fish in there! Choccolocco sounds like a hallucinogenic plant.

Images

Terrapin watershed lake is another remote one that the trail crosses the dam with open areas that are kept mowed during the summer.
    You can camp near the waters edge or on the dam. It is in section 12 south of US 278.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

Could it be the Choccolocco watershed. Nice open camping on top of the dam. Tree lined on the sides. We swim in it. Springhoti 2012 114.jpgSpringhoti 2012 115.jpg
    Here are a few pictures near the Shelter before you get to Pink E Burns, taken 10.22.10 We camped down near the water, and watched the deer play the next morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by blisterbob View Post
    Terrapin watershed lake is another remote one that the trail crosses the dam with open areas that are kept mowed during the summer.
    You can camp near the waters edge or on the dam. It is in section 12 south of US 278.
    I thought of this one too but didn't mention it since Dogwood didn't mention the banks being rock lined. Springhoti 2012 134.jpgSpringhoti 2012 135.jpgThen I thought about Sweetwater back towards Pine Glen since it's the biggest with boat ramp and all.
    Last edited by atmilkman; 07-24-2013 at 09:37.

Where is this area at from coming across the bridge? When you say closed does that mean the showers are shut down. I've only ever been there March thru November and it has been open every time.
    If you stay on the trail that goes around the lake you'll pass by it, but I always short cut thru the woods. I've never seen anyone camp there but us, up on a hill with a view of the lake and the small stream nearby has the best tasting water I've had on trail. The gravel road going to this area has always been gated when I've been there. There's one chemical toilet. Not sure but I believe the main camp area closes at the end of October, and I did make a wrong statement, the camp area has been open at times when I camped there but not most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++