WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What are some of the unrelated to hiking things you did on a hike?

What are some of the most interesting, even off the wall, unrelated to hiking experiences you've had on a hike?

Watching Lion King attending a political speech and asking President Obama questions in Iowa on his ADT hike was interesting to me.

Being asked to go skinny dipping by two naked crazy chicks at the Allenbury inn in PA, and then going to a killer cast party. I passed on the dip...but the party was cool.

Having a 1911 45cal. pulled on me and forced to do a line by a dude that thought I was a cop...Catskills, NY

Helping rescue a girl from a local creek who jumped off a bridge and hit her head on a rock...also in the Catskills, NY

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Being asked to go skinny dipping by two naked crazy chicks at the Allenbury inn in PA, and then going to a killer cast party. I passed on the dip...but the party was cool.

Having a 1911 45cal. pulled on me and forced to do a line by a dude that thought I was a cop...Catskills, NY

Helping rescue a girl from a local creek who jumped off a bridge and hit her head on a rock...also in the Catskills, NY

did the girls have "good personalities" ...lol!!! great story!!

"Now if you're still not sure I can do another one."

The Riverbend Festival, also called Riverbend, is a well-known annual music festival in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which was started in June 1982 as a five night festival. Over the years, the festival grew into the nine nights of its current run and presently ranks in the top 10% of all American festivals. The attendance for Riverbend has grown over the years and there are now regularly over 650,000 people that come over the course of the festival from all over Tennessee, the Southeast, the United States, and other countries. Individual nights can see some 80,000 people in attendance.

I was holed up at the church hostel in Pearisburg, VA nursing severe shin splints in 2006. I got an email from friends in Missouri who said they were attending this festival and that they had an extra ticket I could have if I could get there. I had met a young couple who lived in the neighborhood below the church and hired them to shuttle me to a bus stop somewhere on I-81. I got large bags of ice from a McDonalds and iced my legs all the way to Chattanooga. My friends also had a hotel room just up the street from the main festival. That first night I saw Trisha Yearwood.

The next day we saw about 6 more bands playing under the overpasses. The Allman Brothers band's 3rd bass player, Oteil Burbridge, was there with his band. As was Derek Trucks, (who joined the band when he was 14 years old) nephew of legendary drummer Butch Trucks, with his band. The evening culminated with The Allman Brothers Band taking center stage with all the players. Unfortunately, Dickey Betts was not there. However, the lead guitar playing by Derek Trucks (who never uses a pick) and Warren Haynes was absolutely unforgettable. (I've since seen Derek Trucks in concert in Chicago.) Even old Gregg got up from his organ and belted out "Melissa," solo.

I had taken my hiking poles with me to assist my walking with shin splints. The seats we had were about 1/2 way down the grandstands... Well below the stage which is two or three stories high. When we walked in the main gate, the crew directed us to special seating... I assume because of my "condition." Top row, center... Directly in line with the stage. Whoa!

The next morning my friends urged me to return home to Missouri with them... Free ride. "Heal and return to my hike another year." I gotta tell you I thought about it. In the end, my dream to hike the AT since I was 14 years old won out. (I was 54 in 2006.) I took the bus back north and had the kids pick me up. They shuttled me in and out of Pearisburg for a week so I could slack, testing and healing my shins. In 2006, I was the last man walking nobo.

When I returned to the AT in 2008, I was able to finish my AT hike... Burlington (where I'd flipped) to Monson was all that remained.

Nice thread... Thanks for the memory.
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    "Now if you're still not sure I can do another one."
    That is exactly what happened...wait, that was you?pimp.gif

Ooops, double post

hiking in the nantahalas, came to a road crossing. a crowd of amateur astronomers were setting up telescopes, they called it a star party. i ending up hanging out all night for something called a messier (sp?) marathon. it was fascinating. i learned more about the cosmos that night than i ever had in school.

Well, you kicked off the thread right Rocketsocks. Hey, if you have a son that hikes have you considered trailnaming him Right Rocketsocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Well, you kicked off the thread right Rocketsocks. Hey, if you have a son that hikes have you considered trailnaming him Right Rocketsocks?
    He's the original rocketsocks...use to run everywhere!

Hitched about 50-miles (each way) to go to the midnight premier of a Harry Potter movie. Tough hitching too, even though it was in Maine. I had the most patient hiking buddy ever.

I love this thread already.. I can't add anything to it but I'm enjoying reading it. SonrisaJo.. that long hitch to see Harry Potter = amazing.
    Anytime RS posts, it's always entertaining. RS. I think you are def. one of the posters Marta was talking about, you truly create the FUN type of posts...

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I love this thread already.. I can't add anything to it but I'm enjoying reading it. SonrisaJo.. that long hitch to see Harry Potter = amazing.
    Anytime RS posts, it's always entertaining. RS. I think you are def. one of the posters Marta was talking about, you truly create the FUN type of posts...
    Your like my biggest fan...don't stand to close though, might not be safe... I figure the odds be 50/50...maybe 70/30

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Most of my time is spent off of the beaten path (i.e. bushwhacking). I carry more than an avg med kit (I'm a wilderness 1st responder) & on a few occasions, I've had to put my training into practice on some unfortunates who shouldn't have been where they were, due to lack of skills &/or prep. The best med experience out there, though, was tending to an injured fawn (4 or 5 months old) that had a very recent & large, deep laceration on it's hind quarters. Barbed wire? coyote? Don't know for sure. She was pretty scared as I approached, but she did let me (don't know what happened to her momma) & after binding the rear legs with a lg triangle bandage, was able to get some antibacterial ointment into the cut & suture her up. I set up a quick camp & stayed with her for 3 days. She was mobile at that point. A very rewarding experience, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    Most of my time is spent off of the beaten path (i.e. bushwhacking). I carry more than an avg med kit (I'm a wilderness 1st responder) & on a few occasions, I've had to put my training into practice on some unfortunates who shouldn't have been where they were, due to lack of skills &/or prep. The best med experience out there, though, was tending to an injured fawn (4 or 5 months old) that had a very recent & large, deep laceration on it's hind quarters. Barbed wire? coyote? Don't know for sure. She was pretty scared as I approached, but she did let me (don't know what happened to her momma) & after binding the rear legs with a lg triangle bandage, was able to get some antibacterial ointment into the cut & suture her up. I set up a quick camp & stayed with her for 3 days. She was mobile at that point. A very rewarding experience, indeed!
    Now that's a good story.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Now that's a good story.
    One of the best patients I've dealt with in the woods.......IMHO humans are waaay toooo emotionally extreme in emergencies!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Your like my biggest fan...don't stand to close though, might not be safe... I figure the odds be 50/50...maybe 70/30
    You know it!!

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Now that's a good story.
    That is!! Thanks for sharing it- TPB!!

Default Hospitality

I was invited into a home in (an undisclosed location) in Vermont via a phone call made on my behalf by a local owner of an outdoors store. I was told the address and walked over. The couples son (about 12) was the only one home, but he was instructed by his parents to let me in. The owner ordered a pizza and paid for it (from work) and his son helped me do laundry, get a shower, and then asked me to play video games with him and eat pizza until his parents came home. The father came home with 3 different types of craft beers, just to make sure he got one I liked. After junior went to bed they stayed up with me and had a few beers, set me up on their couch and showed me how to watch movies. About an hour after bedtime the wife came down in a nightie and told me she was there to "take care of the hiker". After (undisclosed activities) she returned to her husbands bed and proceeded to attempt to break it. In the morning I was served breakfast, (joined by another male who arrived at some point in the night and may or may not have been involved in the bed breaking attempt) and given a ride to the post office. The father patiently awaited for me to complete my mail drop, phoned his boss that he would be late, and drove me back to the trail. His house, his food, his beer, his wife, and a ride that made him late for work- that's hospitality!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I was invited into a home in (an undisclosed location) in Vermont via a phone call made on my behalf by a local owner of an outdoors store. I was told the address and walked over. The couples son (about 12) was the only one home, but he was instructed by his parents to let me in. The owner ordered a pizza and paid for it (from work) and his son helped me do laundry, get a shower, and then asked me to play video games with him and eat pizza until his parents came home. The father came home with 3 different types of craft beers, just to make sure he got one I liked. After junior went to bed they stayed up with me and had a few beers, set me up on their couch and showed me how to watch movies. About an hour after bedtime the wife came down in a nightie and told me she was there to "take care of the hiker". After (undisclosed activities) she returned to her husbands bed and proceeded to attempt to break it. In the morning I was served breakfast, (joined by another male who arrived at some point in the night and may or may not have been involved in the bed breaking attempt) and given a ride to the post office. The father patiently awaited for me to complete my mail drop, phoned his boss that he would be late, and drove me back to the trail. His house, his food, his beer, his wife, and a ride that made him late for work- that's hospitality!
    Now THAT is what I would call "Trail Magic"!!!!!!!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Bill, that is some good dung your smoking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++