WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Images

Unbelievable! This is just terrible. I can't imagine the horror of that situation and what it must have been like trying to escape. Very sad.

Aww... that's terrible

This tragic story made it into our local newspaper in VA. So so sad!!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 07-25-2013 at 08:18. Reason: Wanted to add to the post

Images

Very sad, condolences to the families.Sometimes a little pre trip planning and checking expected weather could prevent possible dangerous situations...

Journal Entries
    Images

that is almost unbelievable... truly scary AND sad!!

Images

Default Wow....how tragic this is

Amy was a great friend and person. I met her 21 years ago in her hometown of Bloomsburg, PA when she was still in high school. We went to Maine together in 1997 and again in 2003 for Phish Festivals in Limestone. She was an avid hiker, photographer, and all around seeker of adventure. This is incredibly tragic event. As you can imagine, all friends and family are just in shock.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Dog Virus View Post
    Amy was a great friend and person. I met her 21 years ago in her hometown of Bloomsburg, PA when she was still in high school. We went to Maine together in 1997 and again in 2003 for Phish Festivals in Limestone. She was an avid hiker, photographer, and all around seeker of adventure. This is incredibly tragic event. As you can imagine, all friends and family are just in shock.
    My condolences, NDV.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Very tragic. My heartfelt condolences to the family and friends .

Downeast is notorious for dense fog. I was just there last weekend, camping at Great Wass. On sunday we seakayaked on the outer side of Rogue Island, we put in at Sandy River beach, a few miles from where the two unfortunate women hiked.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2
    Let me go

I can understand how and why it happened. Elation over just being rescued, happy yet possibly physically and mentally exhausted, after affects of having to be rescued, foggy and rainy weather impairing visibility, in an area they aren't familiar with, one being 5 months pregnant, possiible struggling yappy dog in car compounding the stress level, not being aware of how to get out of a submerged/submerging vehicle like a car, possible cold water(water is almost always cold in Maine), etc etc etc. That's sometimes how tragedies occur - by a snowballing compounding of factors.

And, who is anyone to pt fingers? We ALL ALL ALL have been in these situations. I'm glad I'm still here alive despite being ignorant about a whole lot of things!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    My condolences, NDV.
    Thank you. As much as I hurt, I can't imagine the pain her husband Gregg is feeling. If anyone wants to donate to a man who truly lost everything he lived for the other night, there has been a website set up... http://www.grovedesignsolutions.com/...-donation.html

Images

As far as the accident is concerned, I personally believe that the girls did not know they were in water as deep as they were. Where they are from here in PA, we are constantly dealing with flash flooding of the creeks which drain into the Susquehanna River. It's not uncommon to drive into water after heavy rains around Bloomsburg (where Amy is from). It was raining hard on tues night and very foggy along the down east coast of Maine. I'm assuming they thought they were going in the right direction and once they hit the water I think they would have thought that the road had flash flooded. Plus it was dark and the vehicle would have stalled and become dark. Also, her dog. Amy would never abandon her dog. They call 911 but I think by the time they try to get out, there's too much pressure to open the doors. Completely tragic accident. Hard to swallow.

Images

Fog and a slippery boat ramp sounds really scary.

++ New Posts ++